• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cardboard Box Solutions

My camera app will allow me to turn on the flashlight whenever I want. Even if not, you could turn on the flashlight and then open the camera app.

I have two magnifier apps on my phone and don't like them. Too many ads and too fussy to use. The phone camera is better.
On my iPhone 14+ if you turn the flashlight on then open the Camera the flashlight turns off. However, all of the iPhones I have owned 1, 4, 6, 6s & 14+) had the option of turning the “flash” on (or off) for every shot if you didn’t trust auto.

For most photos I find the built in zoom-by-pinch works well. However, as part of the original “iMicro” add-on lens I backed on Kickstarter ages ago I downloaded the i-Seeing app which in addition to working with the lens to give up to 1,200x macro, also works with without the lens to deliver 48x, 96x, 144x & 240x full resolution photos, without ads.

I did some digging based on comments here. I tried a half dozen magnifier apps. ALL OF THEM were superior to the camera and all allowed you to turn the flashlight on or off. But one of them stood out for me more than the others.

Magnifier and Microscope Cozy by Hantorm. It had the least intrusive ads and worked extremely well and intuitively too. Best of all, for $2.50 plus tax there is a plus version which has no ads and saves none of your data.

I really like it. The microscope is amazing on my phone.

I did some digging based on comments here. I tried a half dozen magnifier apps. ALL OF THEM were superior to the camera and all allowed you to turn the flashlight on or off. But one of them stood out for me more than the others.

Magnifier and Microscope Cozy by Hantorm. It had the least intrusive ads and worked extremely well and intuitively too. Best of all, for $2.50 plus tax there is a plus version which has no ads and saves none of your data.

I really like it. The microscope is amazing on my phone.
Apple Magnifier is part of the Apply iOS; I’ve tried it and while it is powerful it’s one of those apps that you need to use to become proficient. With the exception of having the light on while viewing I can do everything I need with the camera itself and Radiant Mobile (which pairs perfectly with the desktop app for adjusting shots).

Here is a microscope mode photo of my shirt. I cannot see the weave with my naked eye and reading glasses at all.

CM240901-205445006.webp

Ya, I'm impressed.

I frequently use cut off cardboard boxes as drawer dividers in my tool boxes
from post #15...

What I see here is an insanely organized drawer unit!! You should be ashamed!

I use corrugated cardboard boxes, cut up, to organize and separate things going via courier or Canada Post. This is an early effort, that shipped a Whal clipper to/from Toronto. Several guys on the forum have received customized carrier trays from me...

Cardboard2.jpgCardboard1.jpg

Only occasionally do I resort to plywood. Perhaps twice in 30 years!

Back