• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Carbide shims/anvils

Ironman

Ultra Member
I like the TNMG 331 and I was going to send you to Amazon as I just got a pack of 10 shims for10 bucks if I recall

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am in Mexico til the 19th and Amazon is being a dick. I don't have a cell phone here, and they want to text to verify. So I can send the link when I get home.

No sweat, it can wait. I am all set for now and only rarely use TNMG inserts. I have a strong preference for WNMG. But I'm still learning inserts and there is lots left to learn.

The more I learn, the more I appreciate the merits of HSS. In many ways I'm ever so glad I started with HSS and only embraced carbide inserts much later in life.

mickeyf

@Susquatch You said you got this set from Amazon: https://a.co/d/8g8MUfG

I learned on HSS and have bucketloads of it, but want to start using/learning inserts. I like the idea of a set like this that lets me try a few different shapes, but I have an AXA QCTP, and it looks like it won't quite fit that 5/8" shank insert holder. The 1/2 in. sets look less interesting and have less descriptive info in their ads. I thought about getting the set you mentioned and milling down the shank to fit my QCTP, but the fine print suggests that it may be hardened, so that I can't to do that. Andy thoughts on that, or other suggestions?

MrWhoopee

@Susquatch You said you got this set from Amazon: https://a.co/d/8g8MUfG

I learned on HSS and have bucketloads of it, but want to start using/learning inserts. I like the idea of a set like this that lets me try a few different shapes, but I have an AXA QCTP, and it looks like it won't quite fit that 5/8" shank insert holder. The 1/2 in. sets look less interesting and have less descriptive info in their ads. I thought about getting the set you mentioned and milling down the shank to fit my QCTP, but the fine print suggests that it may be hardened, so that I can't to do that. Andy thoughts on that, or other suggestions?
There are 250-101T (XL) AXA holders which will take up to 3/4 tools.

I've milled a lot of import tool shanks. They are hard, but not that hard.

Making Chips.jpg

I've tooled my lathe completely with tools like this set. They've all been good quality, no junk.

The positive rake inserts like TCMT, CCMT are well suited to small lathes.

Last edited:

mickeyf

There are 250-101T (XL) AXA holders which will take up to 3/4 tools.

I've milled a lot of import tool shanks. They are hard, but not that hard.

View attachment 45321

I've tooled my lathe completely with tools like this set. They've all been good quality, no junk.

The positive rake inserts like TCMT, CCMT are well suited to small lathes.
Thanks for that info - my 250-101 (I think it is) measures about 9/16 at most, but if the one you link to has a larger slot, or if I can mill down a 5/8 shank to fit what I have that's two possible solutions. Since I can use another tool holder or two anyway I should see if I can find a reasonably priced Canadian source for those. I suppose I could also mill out a tool holder by 1/16th or so, rather than mill down the tool shank. At the moment all my milling tools are also HSS, so there will be some limit to what hardness I can mill.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Andy thoughts on that, or other suggestions?

I've milled quite a few shanks to fit my BXA tool holders. I'd bet those are millable, but I haven't tried. Of late, I've preferred to mill the slot in the tool holder if I can. In your case, that's what I'd do. I'm quite happy with that set. I've been using it quite extensively over the last few weeks - whenever I felt well enough to go out to my shop. I find I still prefer the Trigon. I bought a 10 pack of aluminium inserts for it. The sharper aluminium inserts work almost as well as HSS for sneaking up on dimensions.