• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Carbide burrs?

Jimbojones

I'm going to check in to the selection of Flexovit burrs we've got at work. If I recall, made in USA. Retail price is a bit hefty but again, I almost never pay that ;) Really want to see how they stand up against the competition and assess 'value' e.g. price vs performance. Is the invite open to all and if so...where/when?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
All are welcome. Let's say 2:00pm till whenever Sunday the 5th.
Which is a little later than I would prefer, but am out of town Friday - Sunday around noon, so hopefully that works for everyone?

I'll try to clean up my shop by then. lol

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Anyone who wants to come and doesn't have my address pm me and I'll get you be details. I'll get w fresh propane tank and some burgers, maybe make it a pot luck style late lunch / early dinner if you guys want. Maybe just a dinner depending how long we kill testing rotary tools and hanging out.

@kylemp you free that day? I count @Dabbler , @Jimbojones @jangar, and @Alexander

Anyone else coming?

Oh, we should plan some tests too. Bring some sacrificial stock.

Jw

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Anyone who wants to come and doesn't have my address pm me and I'll get you be details. I'll get w fresh propane tank and some burgers, maybe make it a pot luck style late lunch / early dinner if you guys want. Maybe just a dinner depending how long we kill testing rotary tools and hanging out.

@kylemp you free that day? I count @Dabbler , @Jimbojones @jangar, and @Alexander

Anyone else coming?

Oh, we should plan some tests too. Bring some sacrificial stock.

Jw

Great idea Josh. I'm looking forward to it.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Yeah i can bring burgers and i have a few air tools. Lots of polishing tools to test. I would suggest everyone do a bit of home work and figure out what the cutting tools you are bringing cost. We can make some type of spreadsheet with how much it cost and how well it works.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Agreed, a spreadsheet makes sense. We can then post links to where we bought the pieces, could be a good resource for future members and help with a cost to performance comparison.

kylemp

I just got back to town last night from work and I'm not sure when I'm heading back but if I can swing it I will.
Oh I would suggest a magnet over the area and containment of some sort. Carbide burrs throw off steel slivers everywhere and my experience has taught me that if it's not controlled you'll be regretting it for months.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I just got back to town last night from work and I'm not sure when I'm heading back but if I can swing it I will.
Oh I would suggest a magnet over the area and containment of some sort. Carbide burrs throw off steel slivers everywhere and my experience has taught me that if it's not controlled you'll be regretting it for months.
Good call, I like the idea.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm in. Shall I bring some welds to grind on? I can bring buns and condiments and pop...
I figure we can each bring a test of some form. Personally, I want to see how each rotary tool + burr combo, handles cutting a piece of aluminum stock in half.
Ok,
@Alexander on burgers
@Dabbler on Buns, condiments, and pop
I'll get propane, thow-away plates etc, and I have a bunch of venison, will make some venison burgers so we have the option too.

Sounds like we have a BBQ forming!

JW

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Lol i was going to bring venison burgers too. Pluss beef pattys incase thats more your taste.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Lol i was going to bring venison burgers too. Pluss beef pattys incase thats more your taste.

Haha, funny thing about hunters, we have to use up all our meat before next hunting season.

It's fine, you can be on (both) burger duties, I'll find some other stuff to add to the party.

JW