Capacitor discharge

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
-- I'm thinking of a living room with couches, lamps, tables, etc. they disperse the sound, and to some ears 'muddy it. I find electrostats to sound 'clearer' (with the right source material) but I find cone speakers to be just as satisfying, just different.

Tech Ingredients has a series of videos on several types of speakers, measured in his anechoic chamber. fascinating to watch!

Many of the recent amplifiers can handle that too. You plug a microphone in and place it at your listening location, and then the amp measures the signal delays, echos, and absorption and compensates for them to deliver the sound characteristics of various other environments. It's pretty cool. But I can only imagine the experience now because my hearing loss is too great to appreciate it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Many of the recent amplifiers can handle that too. You plug a microphone in and place it at your listening location, and then the amp measures the signal delays, echos, and absorption and compensates for them to deliver the sound characteristics of various other environments.

I think (hope) they've improved the modelling...

I did do this with a BOSE sound system, with the microphone a long time back, and I had to reset it as it made the sound a *lot* worse. It probably couldn't model the echos in a really complex living room.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It probably couldn't model the echos in a really complex living room.

No idea. We just have a cheap Sony. I recall that it can do that kind of stuff, but I didn't bother setting it up. IIRC, I just used one of the Defaults cuz I wouldn't know the difference anymore anyway.