Capacitor discharge

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I would say that overnight is safe enough you can then short the capacitor with a thin lead, such as a 22 ga hookup wire. I would still check anyway. I have been bitten.

I used to do high energy experiments while still at school, and it taught me respect.

24 hours is enough for any VFD type capacitor. The higher the HP of the VFD, the bigger the capacitor. But check anyway, just to be safe.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Back in the 70’s in high school electronics class we had one term where we fixed TV’s instead of conventional lab work. The brightest in the class was this super skinny kid that was nicknamed Chucky because he was the opposite of Charles Atlas. The bully antagonist was Horowitz, big and as stupid as they come would have married his sister if given the choice. Horowitz made it his mission to give Chucky a hard time. It started with Horowitz charging up a 100V capacitor, sneaking up behind Chucky while he was probing inside a TV and then touching the capacitor to Chucky to give him a jolt. This went on and on with ever larger capacitors and escalating voltage levels. One day Horowitz showed us this huge string of series capacitors that he was planning to use on Chucky, Horowitz then proceeded to charge up the contraption with the 25kV anode connection on one of the TV’s. We heard a good snap and Horowitz came flying out of the back side of the TV and crashed into everything in his way. We all had a good laugh and that was the last time Horowitz attempted to shock Chucky.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I still remember dad doing that to the RCA Victor tv before sending us to check the tubes at the drugstore. I still have the repair book.

Thanks for the memories. I got my flight feathers designing transistorized versions of all those old tube things, and I remember the drug store testers we all used back in the day when most people repaired stuff instead of pitching it.

back in the day when most people repaired stuff instead of pitching it.
I know that those days are behind us, but I am still trying to figure out when this shift happened and why I didn't notice it at the time it was happening.
I was talking with a couple friends the other day and we were standing around admiring the one's new truck it was nice, but..... I mentioned my plan to convert my old truck to 4x4, too much work, he said, better to buy new...... I asked him how long he figured it would take to do the conversion, and then how long did I have to work to pay for the new truck....... He wasn't looking at his new truck the same way when I left.
If buying new meant no more services, repairs,and fuel stops etc, I might feel differently, but as long as I keep seeing new vehicles heading out of town on the backs of tow trucks heading back to the dealers for repairs, I am going to keep fixing mine
...... Or, buy a tow truck.......:rolleyes:

Bandit

Super User
My newer truck is a pain, when it is running its a beaut, getting it started some days is a problem. Theres been a problem in the electrical system for 10years? across the range of their pickups and not in every unit, but quite a few, and perhaps in some of their car/SUV lines as well. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a dealer affirmed fix.
But the headed steering wheel is almost worth killing for in the winter, hands hurt often when its cold. The backup camera is kind of handy too. But otherwise I paid for this!
Oh well, the wife wanted something that I wasn't working on often. I do miss the old truck, it was going to need another rebuilt trany, and a bit/?? of rust repair, 6 -10 g's instead of 60+.!!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm a huge Toyota fan. Third Lexus now, these things are reliable beyond my my wildest expectations, true marvels. My present daily driver is a 2005, purchased used ~2010 it only has about 250k on it now (so it's broken in;-). I do regular maintenance: fluids, filters, tires, pads, battery every x years, plugs once, belt once. NOTHING has broken or needed to be replaced, the car drives like new. I must be due for a o2 sensor at some point, I have never had a check engine light. I have had burnt bulb warnings a few times. Kids have used 2005 Corolla's same thing, no repairs.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm a huge Toyota fan. Third Lexus now, these things are reliable beyond my my wildest expectations, true marvels. My present daily driver is a 2005, purchased used ~2010 it only has about 250k on it now (so it's broken in;-). I do regular maintenance: fluids, filters, tires, pads, battery every x years, plugs once. NOTHING has broken or needed to be replaced, the car drives like new. I must be due for a o2 sensor at some point, I have never had a check engine light. I have had burnt bulb warnings a few times.
I'm guessing you have the 3.5 litre V6, they were very common and very good. I have one in my Toyota mini van, I have just under 300000 kms now and although I've done 02 sensors, plugs and timing belt I've had zero issues with it. I need to get another 300000 kms.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm guessing you have the 3.5 litre V6, they were very common and very good. I have one in my Toyota mini van, I have just under 300000 kms now and although I've done 02 sensors, plugs and timing belt I've had zero issues with it. I need to get another 300000 kms.
Actually 3.3l, my wife had a Sienna with the 3.5l same thing she sold it when it had about 350k, it had one issue, A/C leak at the back where the salt got to the line. Sold in a day for a quite respectable price, Likely good for another ten years. After my experiences I don't want to buy anything else.

mbond

Premium Member
I know that those days are behind us, but I am still trying to figure out when this shift happened and why I didn't notice it at the time it was happening.
I was talking with a couple friends the other day and we were standing around admiring the one's new truck it was nice, but..... I mentioned my plan to convert my old truck to 4x4, too much work, he said, better to buy new...... I asked him how long he figured it would take to do the conversion, and then how long did I have to work to pay for the new truck....... He wasn't looking at his new truck the same way when I left.
If buying new meant no more services, repairs,and fuel stops etc, I might feel differently, but as long as I keep seeing new vehicles heading out of town on the backs of tow trucks heading back to the dealers for repairs, I am going to keep fixing mine
...... Or, buy a tow truck.......:rolleyes:
In general, when 'stuff' is expensive and 'time' is cheap, stuff gets repaired. But when stuff is cheap, and time is expensive, stuff gets thrown away.

In general, when 'stuff' is expensive and 'time' is cheap, stuff gets repaired. But when stuff is cheap, and time is expensive, stuff gets thrown away.
It's all cheaply made now, just not cheap to purchase, or at least not as cheap as I am..... New trucks, you know, the ones that go to work for a living, not just urban commuters are getting north of $100,000 now....... I am down for all kinds of repairs for that kind of money.....;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I knwo where I can get one for you! :p

No thanks. I prefer transistors over vacuum tubes now. Once upon a time I might have argued about tube amplifiers and sound quality, but my ears crapped the bed a while back and I'm just happy to be able to hear anything let alone worrying about fidelity. Can't imagine a vacuum tube hearing aide tucked into my ears either. ...

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I love the warm sound of a tube amp. The best sound system I ever listened to was a tube amp with Magnaplaner speakers!

mbond

Premium Member
It's all cheaply made now, just not cheap to purchase, or at least not as cheap as I am..... New trucks, you know, the ones that go to work for a living, not just urban commuters are getting north of $100,000 now....... I am down for all kinds of repairs for that kind of money.....;)
Without getting into the political aspect, a worse truck that costs more means that your money is worth less. That's one way that standard of living is reduced.

Adam Smith says that money is a durable and transferable way of storing accumulated effort (The Wealth of Nations), so sending people lots of money to NOT work, is a sure way to reduce its value - otherwise called inflation.

I don't think this is very relevant to the main purpose of this form, so I think that's all I should say

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think this is very relevant to the main purpose of this form, so I think that's all I should say

I think we all have different levels of tolerance for non metal working discussions on here. I think that was just fine. It's certainly also quite true.

The line gets drawn on such things when members take offense.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I love the warm sound of a tube amp. The best sound system I ever listened to was a tube amp with Magnaplaner speakers!
I have two friends with tube amps and electrostats. One set is Maganaplanar, and the other one is a pair of Quads. They are okay. Given room differences, I find my Sony towers are plenty good enough.

My uninformed opinion is that the listening room makes just as much difference as good speakers.... (fire away!) (evil grin emoji)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My uninformed opinion is that the listening room makes just as much difference as good speakers.... (fire away!) (evil grin emoji)

Back when I could hear better I would have totally agreed.

Some of the newer amplifiers can be programmed for the room and introduce delays in the signal to emulate bigger or smaller rooms - even a.big auditorium or a phone booth (I've forgotten what a phone booth looks like.)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-- I'm thinking of a living room with couches, lamps, tables, etc. they disperse the sound, and to some ears 'muddy it. I find electrostats to sound 'clearer' (with the right source material) but I find cone speakers to be just as satisfying, just different.

Tech Ingredients has a series of videos on several types of speakers, measured in his anechoic chamber. fascinating to watch!