• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

C'ADventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've heard this about Fusion & without knowing much, it sounds a bit dodgy to me. What does turning off history accomplish? Faster rebuilds? That seems shortsighted because of more significant downsides as mentioned. Equation driven dimensions have nothing to point to. Same for design tables. The worst downside is trying to diagnose something in the tree, a sketch within a feature within... Its like throwing away your GPS on a drive because it weighs too much LOL. (Start with the wife's shoes, plenty more where those came from haha).

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Variables could definitely help in some cases, but my point is that the capture design history should always be on by default. Why would you ever want it off??

Edit: This was posted at the same time as PeterT's post. My question is for no one in particular, I'm just having a whinge lol

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I've heard this about Fusion & without knowing much, it sounds a bit dodgy to me. What does turning off history accomplish? Faster rebuilds? That seems shortsighted because of more significant downsides as mentioned. Equation driven dimensions have nothing to point to. Same for design tables. The worst downside is trying to diagnose something in the tree, a sketch within a feature within... Its like throwing away your GPS on a drive because it weighs too much LOL. (Start with the wife's shoes, plenty more where those came from haha).
I still use roadmaps, and have a flip-phone...Use an Nikon camera, and a key for my car to start.. and mirrors to backup...... and .. and...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Use the rectangle tool to draw the square. It will/should allow you to enter the dimensions for the sides.
Switch back to 3D and extrude the square.
Presto a lovely 2" x2" x 5" block of 12L14 :D

I got most of the way there. Here is what I did:

I clicked create sketch.
Then selected the xy plane
Then clicked 2 point rectangle
Clicked on origin
Then moved the mouse to 2,2 and clicked again.
Then clicked on the house (home) view in 5he top right corner.
Then clicked on my rectangle.

Where is extrude?

Start with the XY plane as the drawing surface. Then select the draw rectangle anchored on the center instead of corner. Drop it on the origin of the sketch and then tab between fields to set the dimension. Hit ENTER to save. Then as David said, extrude to a height in either the positive or negative direction.

I assume you select xy by clicking on the top of the plane view block in the top right.

That did result in a 2D plane. But where is draw rectangle?

I think some screen shots of the "create sketch" button and selecting the plane etc may be in order.

Amen Phaxtris. But now I'm starting to create real work for others.......

I can't get to the more advanced examples you guys are making me drool over until I get a 3D block on my screen. It's that initial hurdle of getting the block that I'm missing.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

I clicked create sketch.
Clicked on origin

Where is extrude?

I assume you select xy by clicking on the top of the plane view block in the top right.

I can't get to the more advanced examples you guys are making me drool over until I get a 3D block on my screen. It's that initial hurdle of getting the block that I'm missing.
Are you doing this in Alibre ATOM or in Fusion360? Post a full screen shot.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Are you doing this in Alibre ATOM or in Fusion360? Post a full screen shot.
If you are using Alibre ATOM @David_R8 can post his screen to show you what he's doing. I have the full Alibre and have dragged my tool bars to the RHS. Yours might not be enabled to be visible. Look at post #26 in this thread and you will see beside the edit icon the extrude and below that the cut icons in the furthest to the right column of icons.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
[Never ask to drive my text editor, you probably can't without significant seemingly unrelated experience in Unix shell work, or a 30 day deep dive into it].
Emacs or VI? No wait - that's too close to politics or religion - ! haha. like VHS or BETAmax.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

I clicked create sketch.
Clicked on origin

Where is extrude?

Ah Fusion. It has modes which can be confusing. When you create a sketch to do 2D stuff then you have hit the 'Finish Sketch' button to get out of that mode. Then you can click the extrude - select the face to extrude (your rectangle) and extrude to the height you want.

John try my mini tutorial: (and anyone else who is interested)

Getting Started with Fusion 360

I explain a few of the gotcha's and work flow things. Stuff Lars has forgotten it is so basic for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.