• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Buying tools off shore

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
A friend asked me how safe is it to by tools from Banggood.com using a credit card. That I can't answer so I'm posting the question here looking for your experience with Banggood.com and seeking answers.

The item in question is this.

https://www.banggood.com/7pcs-12mm-...=cpc&utm_content=all&utm_campaign=tools-ca-en

What is your experience with Banggood.com? Is their website safe to use? Perhaps they take pay pal?

Common sense tells me don't go there.

What say you!

Bill

trlvn

Ultra Member
I've only ordered once through Banggood but I didn't have any problems.

On Youtube, they supply products to several content creators for review (eg Rollingmetal). AFAICT, the reviewers are free to give their honest opinions but they do get a small commission for sales generated on links from their videos.

However, one thing that seems to come up regularly is packaging...or the lack thereof. Small products are just in a plastic bag inside a padded envelope. Often the packaging is beat up and sometimes parts are missing. Banggood seems to be good about supplying replacements but it often takes a fairly long time to get both the original and the replacement. If you need to have something right now, you would likely be better to order elsewhere.

Regarding the credit card, I think you are more likely to have it compromised at the local gas station. Over the last 15-20 years, I've had to have my card replaced 3 or 4 times and I think that has generally been the source of the problem. (And I switched gas stations twice!) The credit card company (Mastercard) gave me no grief at all about reversing the fraudulent charges. Another strategy is to get a low-limit card strictly for online purchases.

HTH,

Craig

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ve purchased a fair amount on aliexpress. Mostly electronics stuff but a few tools. I’ve never had any problems. Even so I use a low limit credit card and I don’t save it on their site. I’ve also ordered a few things from banggood, good luck buy, and a few others without any problem.

Crankit

Your going to find a lot of re-branded items under different names on Banggood and Amazon. HHIP and Accusize and a bunch of others. As you can see this link and Brent's....lots to choose from. I signed up with Banggood but haven't ordered from them but I will say this...the incredible amount of emails from them are through the roof!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Turning-Boring-Holder-Carbide-Inserts/dp/B078J4QY4K/ref=sr_1_63?crid=3VZR7A628C2WH&keywords=accusize+boring+bar&qid=1566514302&s=gateway&sprefix=accusize,aps,220&sr=8-63

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Look at the delivery times, those items are likely coming from Chinese sellers anyway. Some North American sellers are using drop shipping, you order from them, they order from China and it is shipped to you.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I order some toys on bangood and have never been disappointed. I attached a photo of the rc car parts that arrived today from bangood. Don't believe the shipping time they quote you these are a few weeks late but the quality is good so I don't mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_141407_048.jpg
    IMG_20190822_141407_048.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hi list, passed your good advise on to my friend for him to digest.

Like the idea of a low credit card limit definitely takes most of the sting out of a scam. Must look into that.

Much appreciated, Bill

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've used AliExpress quite a bit & generally been very pleased with service. Legitimate sellers seem quite receptive to any problems meaning they don't want to have degraded ratings. So often times I will contact them beforehand & they will attempt to resolve so as not to lose their star rating or have a bad comment. I have ordered some tooling & things like carbide end mills & insert tool holders which are excellent value IMO. Pretty sure in some cases it sthe same/comparable stuff sold by NAm dealers under their house name but generally higher cost. The devil is in the details though. Generally I try to buy from a 'store' that specializes in what I'm after. Example buy drills or cutters from a machining seller rather than 'Ricks Emporium' which also lists Iphone cases & USB cords. Sometimes that is possible, sometimes not, depends on the item.

I haven't used Bangood as much, for no particular reason as it seems to be much of the same stuff. There are scams on all sites so you have to be careful. I find Ebay is no different (if not a bit worse). On Ebay my PayPal is assigned payment method, so you have their resolution center. But pay attention to max time duration before its too late. I enter a date in my Outlook calendar to remind me. Maybe 1/100 transactions I have been scammed by a bogus sellers that had no intention of ever shipping. Most times its legitimately stuck somewhere (like Canada customs). The other issue is counterfeits. Look for a post here where the Mitutoyo caliper was a clever knockoff.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just happened onto this YouTube channel. Type Bangood into the search window & he has some interesting observations of a few offshore products that came his way. Not meant to be a slag, but more indicative of QC issues that come with offshore products. Like I said, I have had some exceptional deals & others that were..... ok, ya got me on that one

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-jfbhTrcOC0XAJjIMZvkmg/videos

Brian H

Super User
I have purchased quite o bit of my tooling from banggood. I do use a paypal account for peace of mind (so my CC # stays "safe"). I have had a few issues, only one shipment never arrived and they immediately refunded my money. I had a few pieces that didn't meet the quality/description they stated and they were replaced free of charge. I have received some pieces that were just plain crap, but, because of the cost(under $5) I didn't bother doing anything other than giving them a poor review and stating the issues I had.
Over all, I've had very good luck. You just need to remember you will get what you pay for.

frankcal

I find Banggood to have less selection and higher prices than Aliexpress. However, if they have something Aliexpress doesn't or they have a deal on a specific tool then of course that puts them first.

Delivery with both is spotty; cheap items usually get shipped via SunYou or Yanwen economic shipping and you can expect things to arrive up to 3 months later....or never. Very frustrating on the 'never' front because its such a long lag to wait...then file dispute...then wait...then re-order...

I've had better luck with eBay because there are a lot of these sellers there too and they sell for the same prices; sellers seem motivated to ship faster due to stricter guidelines on eBay and the dispute process isn't as painful. Shop around...

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
An update re: my friend looking for advise buying off shore tools. A much younger man than I starting out with a lathe passed down from an elderly family member. Tooling that came with it are short carbide chunks not worth regrinding so he's decided to change over to indexable tooling after watching me in action. After letting him read the messages from this forum on this topic he made up a list of pro's and cons. Needless to say the con's won hands down so he's willing to bite the bullet and is presently checking out tooling from Busy Bee, Accusize and KBC. As a learning experience I sat back allowing him to agonize over best quality, bang for the buck, and shipping offering advice when asked. The biggest road block is they've been stung before with credit-c purchases.

That said, and changing the topic slightly I downloaded and saved AliExpress.com. Problem is after their home page loads and when I type something into their search engine like lathe tools then select tools as the category and enter the next page (header and footer) sits there as if it's loading something but nothing happens other than a small star like image going around and around in the centre of the page.

Is their system down???

Bill

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have purchased a couple sets of indexable cutting tools from Banggood as well as replacement inserts. They have all arrived in the little plastic tubes with the tool to remove the screw for the insert and i have not had any parts missing so far. I use paypal for all transactions through them. So far i really like the inserts on the mystery steel i have used them on. I also just got some of the aluminum inserts to try them out the next time I am working on aluminum. There does not seem to be a place locally (Regina) that sells insert tooling that is in the hobby market price range. In fact I only know of one place that even sells insert tooling in Regina.

Blouin55

Michel
I have purchased a couple sets of indexable cutting tools from Banggood as well as replacement inserts. They have all arrived in the little plastic tubes with the tool to remove the screw for the insert and i have not had any parts missing so far. I use paypal for all transactions through them. So far i really like the inserts on the mystery steel i have used them on. I also just got some of the aluminum inserts to try them out the next time I am working on aluminum. There does not seem to be a place locally (Regina) that sells insert tooling that is in the hobby market price range. In fact I only know of one place that even sells insert tooling in Regina.
I want to buy some replacement inserts for my tooling set (tcmt110204) but i have to choose vp15tf or ue6020 or us735...what is the best for mild steel turning?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i have spent literally thousands of dollars on both ali and banggood with a credit card and have never had a problem

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have ordered well over a thousand dollars worth of parts from Banggood and Aliexpress. All of my CNC router parts came from Aliexpress. I've never had worry or a problem. If they scammed people they wouldn't be around long...

Last edited: