• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Buying tools off shore

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Another pointer for those wanting to limit exposure on the internet:

I use a *prepaid* mastercard that costs me 10$ every 2 years to maintain. I have the luxury of planning my internet purchases, and I only leave about 100$ on the card when idle, but i goose it up when planning a big purchase.

Using paypal with the prepaid card gives you another level of indirect, but I don't use it.

I don't use Paypal because Paypal is a huge target and it has been compromised many times. When I was doing computer security for the City of Calgary, Paypal lost 2 million credit cards over 2 breakins over one 9 month period. Their notification record was abysimal.

I truly hope their security record has improved.

BTW I have ordered hundreds of dollars (thousand?) from Banggood, in dozens of orders over 6 years, and I've had no problems, and the quality has been better than expected.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I want to buy some replacement inserts for my tooling set (tcmt110204) but i have to choose vp15tf or ue6020 or us735...what is the best for mild steel turning?
I'm interested in the answer to this question on insert coatings as well...perhaps a new thread? BTW, I'm having pretty good results using 'wrong' inserts - for aluminum - on steel in my 7x14 mini lathe. They are a lot sharper and seem to perform better with the light cuts I take. On topic: all my tooling is from Ali/Banggood and I've never found a scammer there. A few 'confused sellers' and bad descriptions but really a low % of unsatisfactory orders - perhaps 2 or 3 in many dozens of orders (and a lot of $$ - I don't save receipts! :) )

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I want to buy some replacement inserts for my tooling set (tcmt110204) but i have to choose vp15tf or ue6020 or us735...what is the best for mild steel turning?

I feel your pain. Too many choices, too many differences, too many details.

If you are just cutting mild steel, I'd just get the cheapest ones you can find. IMHO, they will all work. I generally avoid inserts for Aluminium or Stainless but sometimes even they work quite well.

I searched your original inserts and found lots available at reasonable prices.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I bought a little Bandsander from Banggood & belts in January 2022.
Great little unit and transaction was quick and easy.
See attached photo.

Attachments

• 119143AA-AFFF-47FB-B0E6-72FF4E49D857.jpeg
    119143AA-AFFF-47FB-B0E6-72FF4E49D857.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 4

trlvn

Ultra Member
I bought a little Bandsander from Banggood & belts in January 2022.
Great little unit and transaction was quick and easy.
See attached photo.
Could you post a link to it?

How is the noise level? I have a 1X30 sander that is great except that the universal motor screams like a banshee. Have to put on ear muffs before starting it up.

Craig

gerritv

Gerrit
Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
I actually bought from Amazon.ca.

You can find a number of mini-beltsanders by doing a Google search: Banggood.com/bandsander

This one was about C$45 including shipping and I had it in hand within 3 weeks.
1656451938737.jpeg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have been watching for Accusize stuff on Amazon, Got a Accusize drill chuck and arbor for a reduced price and free shipping. It gives me a little more peace of mind than trying to deal with crappy web sights and possible scams. I get to use tool purchases for tax write off so slightly higher price is not a big problem, don't like the high shipping charges some places charge though.

chip4charlie

I'm still a big fan of the Viel S-5 sander. Price has gone up though (what hasn't? Oh yeah, my income). From Lee Valley or from Viel direct. 1" x 42" belts, high resale value. Use an old furnace motor or do what I did, a VFD motor (so I don't burn blade tips when profiling knife edges).

LenVW

Premium Member
You have to post a picture of this thing...with a pop can for scale
Here ya go . . .
They belts do tend to wear quite fast, the unit came with 9 belts.
I ordered 10 more from Amazon for $20 after.

Attachments

• A8F833BD-A63B-468A-ADA1-1BC0C91D9C33.jpeg
    A8F833BD-A63B-468A-ADA1-1BC0C91D9C33.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 9

LenVW

Premium Member
The first thing I did was sharpen ’all’ of my drill bits.
1/4” to 3/4” - I have about 50 drill bits from my tool making days with Ex-Cell-O.
It has a vertical backing plate that supports the belt and acts as a straight grinding plane to push against.
It is super handy for deburring edges of milled pieces.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm interested in the answer to this question on insert coatings as well...perhaps a new thread? BTW, I'm having pretty good results using 'wrong' inserts - for aluminum - on steel in my 7x14 mini lathe. They are a lot sharper and seem to perform better with the light cuts I take.

I like this idea. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here. A good thread on this topic would be appreciated. My eyes start glazing over when I read the insert company info pdfs and let's face it - they are biased to promote and sell their own products. I'd personally like to see something really simple.

A good healthy debate on least costly, most available, best chip breaking, nicest cut, durability, etc. Of course, that should go hand in hand with a discussion of insert holders. I have no interest in a 3 thousand dollar holder even if it does take 5 cent inserts.

LenVW

Premium Member
Just look at some websites from carbide insert companies.
WIDIA has a very informative site.
https://www.widia.com/ca/en/products/

Do a little surfing on the web and see what you find.
Use specific terms like . . .
1. Aluminum cutting carbide inserts
2. Non-ferrous machining tools
3. Positive Rack carbide insert
4. Coated carbide inserts for Aluminum

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just look at some websites from carbide insert companies.
WIDIA has a very informative site.
https://www.widia.com/ca/en/products/

Do a little surfing on the web and see what you find.
Use specific terms like . . .
1. Aluminum cutting carbide inserts
2. Non-ferrous machining tools
3. Positive Rack carbide insert
4. Coated carbide inserts for Aluminum

To be honest with you Len, that's exactly the kind of info I'm trying to avoid.

Anyways, this is all off topic in this thread. So I started a new thread here:

Thread 'What inserts do you like and why?' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/what-inserts-do-you-like-and-why.5495/