• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Brass vs Bronze for heat sink backing?

trevj

Ultra Member
Don't lick it, and you should be fine.
Yep. That's about it.

Standard rules as apply to most shop work. Wash your hands, keep your fingers out of various orifices, don't smoke.

I dealt with a LOT of Beryllium Copper alloys, and had to deal with new supervisor, after new supervisor, that lost their minds over "Beryllium" without ever reading the actual MSDS sheet on the stuff.
The 'rules' for Be-Cu alloys were essentially, No smoke, No sparks, No food nearby. So, cleanliness, to avoing ingestion, and no welding or grinding, or similar hotwork. Pretty easy terms...

Your biggest hazard is dropping it on your foot!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Yep. That's about it.

Standard rules as apply to most shop work. Wash your hands, keep your fingers out of various orifices, don't smoke.

I dealt with a LOT of Beryllium Copper alloys, and had to deal with new supervisor, after new supervisor, that lost their minds over "Beryllium" without ever reading the actual MSDS sheet on the stuff.
The 'rules' for Be-Cu alloys were essentially, No smoke, No sparks, No food nearby. So, cleanliness, to avoing ingestion, and no welding or grinding, or similar hotwork. Pretty easy terms...

Your biggest hazard is dropping it on your foot!
No mucus membrane exchanges. Don't inhale fumes, don't eat with dirty contaminated hands, wear PPE. Should be standard practice, but I know what chemcool tastes like, so.....

It's a shame about the big stigma behind BeCu. Ping used to make some great golf clubs from it. I've always wanted a nice set of Eye 2 BeCu irons. Old tech now, but very nostalgic.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice. Those look remarkably similar to expanding sleeve arbors, except those are a single taper & steel of course.

1678941064354.png

Too further influence you choice of material, google cooper welding spoon. I bought one years ago (i dud the research why they are still desired) when I found out about them and they where on sale at HF.

The long and short is that if all materials cooper sticks the least, has a high melting temp and is an excellent heat transfer medium.

While it has some challenges on machining a little caution and effort does two things. Gets a good finish and more importantly improves your skill as a machinist.

So......