• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Better drill press vise?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
The last Acme tread rod I needed( for a cannon barrel elevation jack) I purchased from a local Bolt Supply House establishment . They had a large selection (1/4"-1 1/4") of the rods & corresponding nuts in regular stock.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
From what I know Acme is stronger due to the thread form.
Truthfully it probably wouldn't make much differenence for this application.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
OOPS my bad. here's joe's build video for the follower rest:

So would the commercially made follow rest buggered the threads or was it more a matter of not being able to get in that tight with the pre-made rest?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The last Acme tread rod I needed( for a cannon barrel elevation jack) I purchased from a local Bolt Supply House establishment . They had a large selection (1/4"-1 1/4") of the rods & corresponding nuts in regular stock.

Of course a "cannon barrel elevation jack" ! I think we need a picture of that historic alarms :) @historicalarms

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Why does it need to be ACME thread?

Acme threads don't bind up as bad as pointed threads when being advanced or loosened under pressure ...less friction than to the larger area of a thread with longer slope to a thread crown and also less thread count per inch reduces engagement per inch of object but retains strength .

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David R8 - I think Fastener Force has Acme rod, don't know the cost but would be the quickest to get going if there are no shoulders required.
Sorry I missed this post Mike. I'll give them a call today.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy smokes, I just got a quote for 1/2-10 Acme rod.
$64.61 delivered for 12....

FEET!

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t ‘think’ so honestly. Anything will be better the 6B class thread that’s currently in the vise body. :D