• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Better drill press vise?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
During the course of my CNC plasma build I've come to realize that my drill press vise is a complete piece of junk. It's a 5" KMS special.
Anyone have recommendations for something better that won't break the bank?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The jaw binds up when closing and flops around on the end of the screw, the screw is sloppy so doesn't spin easily. Generally the tolerances are so loose that it's on the verve of coming apart.
I did mill a bit off the bottom of the moving jaw in an attempt to keep the jaw in closer contact with body to eliminate some of the play. it helped a bit but the screw is just a pain.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
PALMGREN! You can't go wrong there.

For what it's worth I use a similar vise to Craig's on my drill press also purchased from Busy Bee many moons ago, a Groz model UG100-3. Also agree with Craig in that Palmgren has a very good reputation. Good luck!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is what I use most of the time. I like it for the most part but it does add some more slop with two moving ways and increased height off the table.
I had a cheapo one of about the same size earlier and it was total garbage. This one is not too bad. 20210330_183914.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There was a Canadian seller of these quick action vises that (visually) looked a notch up from the regular ones, but I seem to have lost the link.
I've only used one in another shop but thought they were pretty nice. Mind you that was years ago when tools were made better.
Another feature is screw on jaws which you could make your own soft jaws or stepped jaws or taller jaws or...

1617151507098.png

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have one similar to @DPittman it works fine. I have a piece of plywood with a bit of 2x4 fastened to the bottom that I clamp it in the vice to get a flat table for freehand drilling.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Wanna make one? Tubalcain did a series on making an intersting vise that secures to one corner of your drill press table and then hold reasonable size work. I don't have one but the design really appeals to me.

Craig in Oakville

SimonM

I like Craig’s approach, make a tool for your tool in order to build another tool which will be used to...

This a great support group to remind me that I ain’t the alone in this rabbit hole.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wanna make one? Tubalcain did a series on making an intersting vise that secures to one corner of your drill press table and then hold reasonable size work. I don't have one but the design really appeals to me.

Craig in Oakville

I was going to go that route except the castings are no longer available. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 No need for castings, hot rolled is just about the same, and is easily available. Just a little more machining, is all...
Oh right I was thinking of the series he did where he bought a vise casting and did all the finishing work.

turner

Bought this a few yrs back, just didn't want to be using the DX6 for everything. Happy with it for the price, furthermore I was looking for something not made in China. The Rohm web site leads you to believe Germany as I remember?
I expected it would be stamped place of origin, but there is nothing on it.
Rohm # 7201 4" jaws and capable of 5" opening, available on Amazon.ca @ $ 137.

Attachments

• 1617163916983.png
    1617163916983.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 9

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Craig in Oakville
Thanks for this Craig. It is an interesting design. I watched the start of the build videos and I'm intrigued.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
While I need another project like a hole in the head, I'm leaning toward building Mr Pete's float lock vise

Last edited: