Better drill press vise?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YYCHM I was looking for a 1/2-10 Acme tap so I could use Acme rod for the build instead of using threaded rod

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I’m committed now.
Bought a length of 1” square stock to make the floating vise.
:)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ll probably buy it. I don’t have a follow rest so I can’t see how I could single point a piece ~10-12” long without intermediate support.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8
I’ll probably buy it. I don’t have a follow rest so I can’t see how I could single point a piece ~10-12” long without intermediate support.

Its no problem David - just do light passes and a few spring passes at the end. You will probably be in the 5/8 or thicker rod anyway - I had no issues turning my cross feed that was 9/16"

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8

Its no problem David - just do light passes and a few spring passes at the end. You will probably be in the 5/8 or thicker rod anyway - I had no issues turning my cross feed that was 9/16"

The design calls for 1/2” acme. What do you think about single pointing a 10” length of that?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
David, you can make a very serviceable follow rest out of some 2X4.

Drill your 1/2" hole and bandsaw off half of it and mount it on centre such that when your saddle is positioned correctly, it is touching. My little lathe has T slots, but you will be aboe to work out something.

then only use your compound for all adjustments of your cutting tool...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David, you can make a very serviceable follow rest out of some 2X4.

Drill your 1/2" hole and bandsaw off half of it and mount it on centre such that when your saddle is positioned correctly, it is touching. My little lathe has T slots, but you will be aboe to work out something.

then only use your compound for all adjustments of your cutting tool...

A 2x4 as in a piece of wood?
I think I can imagine this but I’ll have to do some mocking up.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
yes a 2X4 piece of wood. For a larger lathe it might take a 2X10. Joe piecyzinski made a tiny one to single point thread a #5 40 thread on his big lathe. His custom follower features at 9:32 of his video:

even 3/4 plywood would work, providing it can be mounted. the cutting force on a single point acme tool is acouple of hundred pounds at most, and 50 pounds if being done in very light cuts.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
David R8 - I think Fastener Force has Acme rod, don't know the cost but would be the quickest to get going if there are no shoulders required.