• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best place for gas?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I get to drive to town today and exchange my mig tank for a new one. Welding feet on a new wind break yesterday, hmm run out just as things get tacked in place. I bought my tank several years ago, Air Liquide will only sell the smallest tank but i don't weld enough anymore to justify paying a yearly lease and have large tank.

van123d

It is interesting to see so many comments about having their cylinders filled. I contacted anyone I could find somewhat close to me and none were offering a bottle filling service. You have the choice of leasing a cylinder that can be exchanged or buying a cylinder that can be exchanged. Most of which will only exchange with bottles marked the same as their supplier.

Aliva

Super User
I bought the small Hobart oxy act from Peavy mart, Praxair does the refilling and exchange.
Years ago I had the full size bottles but the yearly lease was killing me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I lease all my bottles. It sucks especially since I can't possibly justify it financially. But sometimes you just do what ya gotta do. I have a fishing boat. It's not justified financially either but I'm not about to worry about it. If I had to financially justify everything I did, I would not be married, wouldn't have kids, would not have most of my hobbies, and I'd die rich but miserable.

That all said, I will bitch about my small O/A kit. I bought the set on sale 30 or 40 years ago. Afterwards, I went to the store I got it from to get my tank filled. The next day I went back to pick it up and the guy handed me this piece of crap that had been used to kill fish on a trawler in lake salty swamp.

I looked at the sales guy in disbelief. He knew exactly what I was thinking. He just shrugged and told me to "Suck it up buttercup. You are not anybody special." He is right about that, but I have some choice words for all those guys who are......

WilliamR

The next day I went back to pick it up and the guy handed me this piece of crap that had been used to kill fish on a trawler in lake salty swamp.
I can relate. Paid mega bucks for 110 cu ft tank from air liquide. Now needs hydro to be filled. They will direct exchange and absorb hydro costs, but mine is like brand new.

What a decision haha.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I can't understand why anyone cares what a welding tank looks like? I am the most fussy of people (as you guys know) but couldn't care less about a pretty tank or an ugly tank.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought mine from Liquid air and have never had a problem just drop it in back and take a new one then it’s just Have a nice day!

WilliamR

I can't understand why anyone cares what a welding tank looks like? I am the most fussy of people (as you guys know) but couldn't care less about a pretty tank or an ugly tank.
So if you were going to buy a used tank and they were all the same price you couldn't care less about buying rustiest shittiest most beat up one in the group?

I paid almost double kms price for mine. If I want to upgrade to larger unit I feel I would have more success selling a brand new looking tank than a "piece of crap that had been used to kill fish on a trawler in lake salty swamp." I guess that's just me.:confused:

fussy​

[ fuhs-ee ]
See synonyms for: fussy / fussiness on Thesaurus.com

adjective, fuss·i·er, fuss·i·est.

excessively busy with trifles; anxious or particular about petty details.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Why would you pay almost double kms price???.....that's pretty much the going rate for a new tank, much more than kms price is just going into someones pocket as profit

The only difference between a shiny tank and a "rusty" tank that both have a current date stamp is 10$ in tremclad

WilliamR

Why would you pay almost double kms price???.....that's pretty much the going rate for a new tank, much more than kms price is just going into someones pocket as profit

The only difference between a shiny tank and a "rusty" tank that both have a current date stamp is 10$ in tremclad
I paid above kms price from air liquide and not credited for my 80 cu ft trade in after receiving invoice. Obviously some people don't mind what a tank looks like. Wouldn't bother me if rentals. A lot of people would prefer to buy new condition tank over one that looked like it had been through the war. (see previous explanation) I would anyways.

If I get exchange B tank with crappy tightening wrench I bitch I want one with hand valve like I turned in as well.

Unfortunate that it bothers some people.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So if you were going to buy a used tank and they were all the same price you couldn't care less about buying rustiest shittiest most beat up one in the group?

I paid almost double kms price for mine. If I want to upgrade to larger unit I feel I would have more success selling a brand new looking tank than a "piece of crap that had been used to kill fish on a trawler in lake salty swamp." I guess that's just me.:confused:

fussy​

[ fuhs-ee ]
See synonyms for: fussy / fussiness on Thesaurus.com

adjective, fuss·i·er, fuss·i·est.

excessively busy with trifles; anxious or particular about petty details.

I'd care about which one has the most recent test date, is safe, and can easily be exchanged...appearance honestly wouldn't matter at all, there is nothing about the appearance of a tank that impacts its function given the safety certifications needed periodically.

I "own" 3 TSC exchange tanks, two are nice, one is ugly...next time I exchange, I'll get another luck of the draw.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I purchased an 80 cu ft argon cylinder from Air liquide just yesterday in Calgary. $380 for the cylinder and $70 to fill/exchange. KMS has 80 cu Ft tank for $400 and $64 fill/refill. I personally like the exchange vs filling better because you don't have to wait for it to be filled, and you don't have to worry about recertifying the tank. The tank lives under my welding table so I don't see it anyways, I don't care if it's a bit scabby haha.

WilliamR

I had tank that went through house fire. Didn't look bad and still held over 1600 psi of gas. Asked supplier if I could have it tested. He tagged it for destruction and I got the bill. It had been compromised.

I could have easily scuffed and touched up paint then put it back into service. Who knows to what outcome. Point being the difference between my new tank with known history needing hydro test and exchange tank with current hydro could be substantial.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I purchased an 80 cu ft argon cylinder from Air liquide just yesterday in Calgary. $380 for the cylinder and $70 to fill/exchange. KMS has 80 cu Ft tank for $400 and $64 fill/refill. I personally like the exchange vs filling better because you don't have to wait for it to be filled, and you don't have to worry about recertifying the tank. The tank lives under my welding table so I don't see it anyways, I don't care if it's a bit scabby haha.
Well that seems reasonable or at least comparable to KMS. Would they sell you a bigger tank? like a 110?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The tank lives under my welding table so I don't see it anyways, I don't care if it's a bit scabby haha.

I always heard that acetylene tanks had to be stored standing up. If they are stored laying down, they have to stood up on end for a long period of time before use to stabilize the gas absorbed in the acetone.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I always heard that acetylene tanks had to be stored standing up. If they are stored laying down, they have to stood up on end for a long period of time before use to stabilize the gas absorbed in the acetone.

Yea this is true, sorta, you can store them laying down, no problem, but you do need to have it upright for a bit before use, and it needs to be used upright, but I never have been instructed on any set time for how long it needs to be stood up

Easiest way to know if your gtg, stand it up, give it 10, light it up, if your drawing acetone you can see it in the flame

This happens when you overdraw the cylinder as well, acetone is drawn up as the actylene doesn't have enough time to ?dissolve? out of the acetone

That's the whole reason they check the acetone levels every fill, acetone does get drawn out on occasion

Edit: I should add, you should generally store acetylene cylinders upright, but If for whattever reason you need to store it laying down... transport, whattever, it's not the end of the world

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Edit: I should add, you should generally store acetylene cylinders upright, but If for whattever reason you need to store it laying down... transport, whattever, it's not the end of the world

Thanks, I learned something today!

I may never use that info cuz I store mine upright in my O/A tank cart, but it's a good thing to know!

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Well that seems reasonable or at least comparable to KMS. Would they sell you a bigger tank? like a 110?
I have to admit I did not ask! I only planned on buying the 80 cu ft.

Best practice is to store them standing up. The only tank under my table is Argon, I'll keep the Oxy-acetylene on an upright cart. I dont think it has to do with gas stabilization per se, its to let the acetone drain to the bottom of the tank. The inside of acetylene cylinders is a spongy type material, so if the sponge up near the outlet gets soaked in acetone, the acetone will start to blow out the outlet. Also the rule of thumb for acetylene consumption is to not use more than 1/7 of the tank per hour. I'm not 100% sure of the mechanism behind this, but maybe if you use it too quickly, its kind of like a fizzy soda bottle where the bubbling out of the gas brings some liquid along for the ride?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
kind of like a fizzy soda bottle where the bubbling out of the gas brings some liquid along for the ride?

I think it's something like that, I was never given a scientific explanation....welders aren't typically know for their vast knowledge of the scientific world...and I never cared to find out myself

Usually when the draw rate is going to be a problem, switching over to propane or Natural gas is the answer...unless you have a very small tank it's not normally a concern