• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Best place for gas?

I just bought a used oxy-acetylene setup/tanks off of marketplace. The tanks are still pretty full but in the future will I need to provide an ownership to the tanks to have them filled in Ontario? Should I ask the guy who sold them to me if he still has them. Seems like an estate situation so I think it's unlikely but I know the guy owned them. I heard in some places in the states they want paperwork wonder what the situation is here.

My personal experience was with one semi-independent tool store...they wouldn't fill my O2 because the tank had the old Linde stamps on it...This was AFTER the fact that I took it to a re-cert shop, waited a week for them to fit it in for hydro testing, it passed, and I got it back with a fresh stamp of approval...
So I very cautiously "removed" the old markings, made my work look good and went back...they filled it for me...
Ironically...another distributor (one of the big 3) won't touch it because the original date is 1981...and because dude behind the counter figured out that I modd'ed the tank...but they have no issue taking the tanks I bought from dist. #1...and giving me fresh filled ones...
they flat out exchange them...
Janger is right though...be wary of the lease agreements etc...definitely have a look and see what the expiry dates are...as well as which company has their touchmark on them...
For all you know...those tanks could've been liberated by a disgruntled employee on a Friday...or just plain liberated...
get what you can for use out of them for sure...but do your diligence...search out a tool supply / gas store kind of place... make friends with the industrial people...and cross your fingers...it also doesn't hurt to be genuinely nice...
Even when dude behind the counter at distr. #2 said to his co-worker " mark this guys name down, so we don't end up refilling his tank if you n I aren't here"...I was still nice...I did tell him, to his face...that "the comment could've been professionally delayed til after I left, but now we know you're not a professional at customer service don't we?" but I did it nicely...enough so that he walked off the counter floor, leaving his very new employee to smile at me while she took my payment for my Argon, and my MIG mix...

definitely have a look and see what the expiry dates are...

These contracts are insidious, a judge ought to find them illegal. If you read the fine print, they perpetually renew, five years at a time. Forever. The only way out is to cancel at least a year in advance. If you are forced to sign one, send your written cancellation by registered mail the very next day because you won't remember four years from now. This way after five years you'll have options.

A contract renewal should, imo, require some sort of ratification or action on behalf of both parties to be valid, not this "its perpetual unless you take action" BS. It's more akin to tricking people imo than good business.

Last edited:
Bandidos in southern Alberta is decent as well. Similar deal to the KMS one. You buy, then swap out for fills. Not a hassle at all.

https://www.banditosinc.com/
Lethbridge, Taber, Cranbook coming soon. Probably worth the drive.
So, are you telling me you can buy a 51" tall x 12" diameter bottle for acetylene? The big one. How much does that bottle cost? I paid $400 for a 80 cubic foot oxygen bottle and the same for an argon bottle. Argon costs about 60 to exchange. When I had the rental on the bigger bottles it was $125/year for each bottle. 4 years and you would have paid for a bottle that's why I bought my own. I have a couple small B tanks with acetylene, that they just exchange. They exchange so you always have a current bottle. They tell me there are only 4 places in North America that fill acetylene. Not sure if he was telling me stories or not? I use propane now for cutting because it is less expensive.
Martin

So, are you telling me you can buy a 51" tall x 12" diameter bottle for acetylene? The big one. How much does that bottle cost? I paid $400 for a 80 cubic foot oxygen bottle and the same for an argon bottle. Argon costs about 60 to exchange. When I had the rental on the bigger bottles it was $125/year for each bottle. 4 years and you would have paid for a bottle that's why I bought my own. I have a couple small B tanks with acetylene, that they just exchange. They exchange so you always have a current bottle. They tell me there are only 4 places in North America that fill acetylene. Not sure if he was telling me stories or not? I use propane now for cutting because it is less expensive.
Martin
Call them. Decent guys to deal with in my experience. I don’t have a torch I just use them for welding gas. The welding gas you buy the bottle and they exchange it for a modest fill up fee.

I don’t know how acetylene works with them.

Update on Bandidos and acetylene: they don’t do it right now. But are looking into it in the future. They do Oxygen, and you can use propane however. I was in there and thought I would ask.

GTA area:

Confirmed the other day that Camcarb, in North York (400 between Finch and Steeles), will fill user owned bottles. I was checking on argon, didn't think to ask about other gases. They show a pretty normal range on their website, though. Downside, it's drop off, pick up later when it's filled.

For oxygen: It's convenient for me, less so for other people I'm sure, but Ontario Medical Oxygen Services (Etobicoke, near Islington and The Queensway) will fill user owned tanks, if you can explain that you don't have a prescription because they're for industrial use. My second visit recently, paid cash, $30 each for smallish tanks, filled in under 10 minutes while I chatted with the owner.

Lesson: Call your local medical oxygen place!

Back