• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best place for economical tools

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Accusize seems to me to be a reseller of items available on Banggood, with a markup.

thats always been my impression of Accusize. The used to be a no label reseller in a RH unit....then one day they started branding the stuff and raised the price quite a bit. Might still be good value, but still....

DHHok

Regional variation in online used selling is interesting. In Victoria BC kijiji is 'a big zero', usually, Craigslist is 'very quiet'. usedvictoria is the most active online site IME, with Facebook (ugh) a close second. Not a lot of used machinist stuff anywhere here, though Vancouver is a different story. The downside of living away from a major city, I guess.
Used machinist equipment available in Vancouver? I guess the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence. I certainly don't see much in Vancouver, and I'm always looking.
You mentioned LMS. Never heard of it, and can't find it. Google just comes up with Learning Management System. Who/what/where is LMS?
What is it that you need that you can't wait?

I have some Accusize tooling, I don't consider it any better than my AliExpress purchases. KBC is worth a close examination, shipping is quick and not everything is priced over the top.
I needed some new cutting tools because I have a project I have to finish by the end of the week. I destroyed the tip on my cheap HSS and my grinder is dead.
This thread has been good for me. You just gave me another place to look at with KBC. Thanks. Never heard of them, yet there is a store close to me in Vancouver.

I’ll jump on here and recommend accusize as well. Everything I’ve bought from them has been as exactly as good as it should have been for the price. They sell on Amazon too and if you have prime you save on shipping and get stuff very fast.

One time I bought a 5c spindex from them it was a bit out of the purported tolerance but still good enough for my use and they gave me a partial refund without any hassle.
This is one of the reasons I have shyed away from Ali & Bang. I doubt you would have received any compensation from someone in China.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
LMS likely means Little Machine Shop (USA).

KBC website link here (Canada). Note there also main (USA) branches so beware it doesn't default to dot com when price checking. Yes if you live close & can pop in that would be preferable because they recently bumped their min shipping to $25 which is a real bummer, used to be less than half that.
Vancouver Branch, 108-1538 Cliveden Avenue, Delta, BC V3M 6J8, Local Calls: (604) 540-4060

Travers is another machinist supplier. I find they have a bit more selection than KBC & generally bit higher prices. There shipping prices used to be more than KBC but the pendulum has swung

There are also lots of smaller shops maybe less well advertised. In Calgary we have Thomas Skinner, DMH.... others I'm forgetting. Eastern Canada has lots of places. Some cater to machine shops, require accounts etc. Others (maybe its the economy) are figuring out that a hobbyist dollar is worth the same as a shop dollar & becoming more amenable. But many are very antiquated or nonexistent websites so they tend to lurk in the shadows.

I have not had to return/exchange/refund too much on AliExpress but when I did it was actually quite painless. They live & die by ratings so if its not what you ordered or defective, broken, shipping issue I think generally there is recourse. Now if its a case of you are disappointed with the quality, well that's different. That's a fact of life these days. Most of the distributers including aforementioned flog similar stuff. If you want a brand name of course you pay more. You can get burned anywhere these days including Ebay & Amazon, so you have to rely on the strength of the remediation policies of those places. But it always pays to shop around & of course factor full shipping costs.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Used machinist equipment available in Vancouver? I guess the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence. I certainly don't see much in Vancouver, and I'm always looking.
You mentioned LMS. Never heard of it, and can't find it. Google just comes up with Learning Management System. Who/what/where is LMS?
By 'Vancouver' most folks on the Island mean 'anything within 100 miles of Vancouver on the mainland'. Whenever I seach on Facebook Marketplace for 'lathe' or 'milling machine' I get 'Nothing in your area' followed by a string of listings from 'The mainland'. :)
I think most participants here have 'small industrial scale' shops from the posts I see, so probably that's the reason for not much mention of Little Machine Shop in the USA. It seems to be a popular place to get parts and tooling for the Chinese mini lathe beginners like me. Frequently online posts use the LMS acronym.

DHHok

I have not had to return/exchange/refund too much on AliExpress but when I did it was actually quite painless. They live & die by ratings so if its not what you ordered or defective, broken, shipping issue I think generally there is recourse.
That is good to know.
By 'Vancouver' most folks on the Island mean 'anything within 100 miles of Vancouver on the mainland'. Whenever I seach on Facebook Marketplace for 'lathe' or 'milling machine' I get 'Nothing in your area' followed by a string of listings from 'The mainland'. :)
And by "Victoria" most folks on the mainland mean "Vancouver Island" :D
I still never see much listed in BC, period. Maybe I need to search from Victoria. ;)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I have not had to return/exchange/refund too much on AliExpress but when I did it was actually quite painless. They live & die by ratings so if its not what you ordered or defective, broken, shipping issue I think generally there is recourse. Now if its a case of you are disappointed with the quality, well that's different. That's a fact of life these days.
This is timely! I was drilling a 2mm hole on the lathe with my new Banggood chuck last night and noticed that 'things didn't line up'. Short version of the story: the chuck has 0.35mm runout. I just went to banggood to complain. I'll report on the results, but I'm not hopeful.
My basic approach to buying from China is that a return for refund isn't feasible with our shipping costs, so I don't "gamble more than I can afford to lose". But I also whine if the quality is bad and sometimes I get a refund without returning the item.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is timely! I was drilling a 2mm hole on the lathe with my new Banggood chuck last night and noticed that 'things didn't line up'. Short version of the story: the chuck has 0.35mm runout. I just went to banggood to complain. I'll report on the results, but I'm not hopeful.
My basic approach to buying from China is that a return for refund isn't feasible with our shipping costs, so I don't "gamble more than I can afford to lose". But I also whine if the quality is bad and sometimes I get a refund without returning the item.
Are you sure the chuck is out and it’s not a mounting problem? I’ve thought I’ve had a bad chuck but no it was me. And another time the arbor was bad not the chuck. Put a dial indicator on the arbor to verify.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Are you sure the chuck is out and it’s not a mounting problem? I’ve thought I’ve had a bad chuck but no it was me. And another time the arbor was bad not the chuck. Put a dial indicator on the arbor to verify.
I don't want to derail this discussion, so I started a new thread on the chuck problem. The arbor where it enters the chuck is running almost perfectly true - .02 mm runout.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've uploaded pics of an item that was defective & was pleasantly surprised. They said sorry, how can we make it right? Ship another one tomorrow or refund/credit. I've also seen other peoples videos uploaded in review section showing one aspect or another which conveys even more info. Usually return shipping is out of the question. Something that comes free or 5$from China would cost be 20$ to send inside my city. That's why you have to be careful with heavy things & more careful with heavy+high value things.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Banggood chuck update....I contacted banggood, explained the excessive runout problem with the chuck, and uploaded pictures of the runout indicated on the DTI. It's impossible to upload a video to banggood, so I couldn't send the 30 second video I'd recorded. Then, no response for 4 days till this morning when I get an email that they will close the 'Ticket' since they haven't heard from me in3 days! So I go to banggood and they want: photos of the original parcel wrapper (which is gone) and a Youtube video! So, an hour plus of faffing around and I have the video uploaded to YouTube and sent banggood the link.

This matches with what I've read online about banggood - lots of promises but when it comes to a real problem they set enough obstacles in the way so that the buyer just gives up. I didn't believe the 'Buyer Protection' BS anyway... :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Banggood chuck update....I contacted banggood, explained the excessive runout problem with the chuck, and uploaded pictures of the runout indicated on the DTI. It's impossible to upload a video to banggood, so I couldn't send the 30 second video I'd recorded. Then, no response for 4 days till this morning when I get an email that they will close the 'Ticket' since they haven't heard from me in3 days! So I go to banggood and they want: photos of the original parcel wrapper (which is gone) and a Youtube video! So, an hour plus of faffing around and I have the video uploaded to YouTube and sent banggood the link.

This matches with what I've read online about banggood - lots of promises but when it comes to a real problem they set enough obstacles in the way so that the buyer just gives up. I didn't believe the 'Buyer Protection' BS anyway... :)

I went thru the same song and dance with AliExpress over a VFD that was DOA. AliExpress demanded a video but allows you to upload video directly. Got a full refund in the end after mailing the item to Vancouver. AliExpress covered the return postage.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I went thru the same song and dance with AliExpress over a VFD that was DOA. AliExpress demanded a video but allows you to upload video directly. Got a full refund in the end after mailing the item to Vancouver. AliExpress covered the return postage.
Good to hear about the return to Vancouver vs all the way to China.
I haven't had a 'quality' issue with AliExpress - not that all the stuff I've bought there is high quality; I just haven't bothered to complain as most purchases have only been a few dollars. But on several occasions an item hasn't turned up or the wrong item has been sent, and they've provided a refund quickly. So for now, I'm rating AE higher than Banggood.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I bought a dial test indicator from Aliexpress that was sporadically sticky and of course I could not show that in a video so they declined my request.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Have you received the order because if the order is in transit Amazon won't let you cancel it. It's not yet late so so you can't ask for a refund.

Ordered Jan 14, initial expected delivery was Feb 21. That's come and gone now, still hasn't arrived. Now they are indicating I have to wait until Mar 17 + 3 days + 2 days (contact seller) before requesting a refund. Come on now..... either never shipped or lost out there somewhere:mad:

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
Initial expected delivery was Feb 21. That's come and gone now, still hasn't arrived. Now they are indicating I have to wait until Mar 17 + 3 days + 2 days (contact seller) before requesting a refund. Come on now..... either never shipped or lost out there somewhere:mad:
I had the same thing happen early last month . I bought an adjustable angle plate off of ebay , it was in Canada already ( or so they said) , coming out of Richmond BC . Should'a been a couple of days via Canada post ( who they claimed to have used ) . It never showed up , checked my mailbox every day then weeks later gave up and put in a request for a refund , I nearly had to beg for my money back . I should have checked the feedback before clicking "buy it now" . I did get a refund , prior to that , the seller wouldn't send out another one to replace the one that was "lost" , they suggested I pay for and order a second one . All of the back n' forth dealings on this were in Chinglish , it was kinda creepy , they had my money right away , I suspected all along that the item was never shipped . They gave me a bogus shipping number ( I checked ) to make it all seem legit but when ebay steps in on behalf of a bidder/buyer they have no choice but to refund money . I can buy the same thing from Amazon for $20 more , I might go that route.

The pic is the slotted , adjustable angle plate I wanted / ordered

s-l500.jpg

This is the first time Canada post has failed to deliver my shit , ever , my gut feeling was the package never left Richmond

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Initial expected delivery was Feb 21. That's come and gone now, still hasn't arrived. Now they are indicating I have to wait until Mar 17 + 3 days + 2 days (contact seller) before requesting a refund. Come on now..... either never shipped or lost out there somewhere:mad:
I had two shipments from Amazon that sat here in Victoria for a month past their delivery date. I contacted Amazon via their chat service and got shipping refunded on both. The items showed up a couple of days later.
I have never been burned on Amazon.ca or .com now eBay.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I had two shipments from Amazon that sat here in Victoria for a month past their delivery date. I contacted Amazon via their chat service and got shipping refunded on both. The items showed up a couple of days later.
I have never been burned on Amazon.ca or .com now eBay.

China Post, no tracking provided. Haven't a clue where it is.