• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Best place for economical tools

deleted_user

Super User
I had already been looking at Accusize, so it's good to know their product is decent.
I originally saw them on Amazon, then googled and found their website.
Pricing seems to be the same at both places, except if you order from Amazon the shipping is free (at least for what I've been looking at).
Yeah, if I wasn't local I'd buy their product through amazon since as a prime member I get free shipping... but then I prefer to pick up in person.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I bought an Accusize 4" 4 jaw chuck for my rotary table and I was amazed at the quality for the price.

DHHok

Yeah, if I wasn't local I'd buy their product through amazon since as a prime member I get free shipping... but then I prefer to pick up in person.
Just for others info. Accusize ships for free through Amazon, even without Prime.

I ended up ordering a 7 piece indexable tool set from Accusize. I need tools with replaceable tips, because I just don't have the time right now to learn to grind my own.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Why buy from accusize/kms/BB if you don't have to, buy AliExpress/banggood....it is literally the exact same product without the accusize/kms/BB lable on the side

The only exception to this imo is if you need imperial sizes, I buy lots of 13/16 annular cutters (and other sizes) from accusize simply because I can't find them on aliexpress, they hold up just fine

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I buy from Accusize occasionally, when the uptick isn't very large, and I have a person I can talk to if something isn't right. They are also great to talk to about finding out some things about which item has more returns, etc.

Always pleasant to deal with. It isn't always about that last cent.

DHHok

Why buy from accusize/kms/BB if you don't have to, buy AliExpress/banggood....it is literally the exact same product without the accusize/kms/BB lable on the side

The only exception to this imo is if you need imperial sizes, I buy lots of 13/16 annular cutters (and other sizes) from accusize simply because I can't find them on aliexpress, they hold up just fine
I honestly didn't see much of a price difference. Plus Ail and Banggood have much longer shipping times.
Edit: Ok, so I guess I didn't look too hard. I looked again and did find what I wanted for less, but I still couldn't work with the shipping times. I needed it early next week.

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I honestly didn't see much of a price difference. Plus Ail and Banggood have much longer shipping times.
Accusize seems to me to be a reseller of items available on Banggood, with a markup. So buying through Amazon with free delivery makes sense if the delivery is quick, and I need/want it soon. But there's a real price difference, especially ordering direct from Accusize.
Here's a real example - something I ordered from Banggood a few days ago:
Banggood 001 holders.JPG

5 pcs OXA tool holders. Banggood $82 CAD shipped.
Accusize tool holders.JPG

Accusize for the same 5 toolholders: $130 + $26.40 shipping from the Accusize website, $130 via Amazon Prime.

For me, that's a big difference in price.
EDIT: But, sometimes the difference is negligable. Another example from my recent shopping spree....
Set of HSS lathe tools 5/16"....
accusize HSS tools.JPG
$69 via Accusize Amazon, $64 (with fast delivery) from Sputnik Tools (India) via eBay. And the Accusize tools come in a nice box. So I should have bought the Accusize ones. Thanks to the folks who have steered me toward Accusize; I'll definitely do my comparison shoppng more carefully in future.

Last edited:

DHHok

Looking more, I can definitely see the savings, but the reason I started this thread was because I was looking for references for actual sellers, because my concern with (any) product on Ali & Bang is I didn't know if the products are actually any good.
So, near as I can tell, those of you that use Ali & Bang aren't really concerned who it comes from? I'm guessing the assumption is that it all comes from one manufacturer anyways?

I knew what I was purchasing from Accusave was a chinese product, but I also knew I'd have someplace to contact if the product was sub-par or defective. That is worth something to me. I also needed it next week, so I didn't have a lot of choice.

Now that I know others haven't been horrified by the product received through Ali & Bang, I'll give them a try in the future.

Thanks everyone.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I understand if a guy needs it now, you gotta do Amazon/kms/BB etc, but if you can wait and are willing to spend a few minutes online looking the savings can be significant, sometimes up to 50% cheaper of you look hard enough

Sometimes not however, there are times when the difference is so slight that it's worth the extra to buy locally

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
kijiji would be my first choice. My preference is top brands in good condition at off shore prices. In my experience, they are nicer to use, give better performance and really show no depreciation in value. When I need new, its amazon, aliexpress, ebay and KBC

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Sometimes not however, there are times when the difference is so slight that it's worth the extra to buy locally
I agree. I edited my post #27 above after doing more price checking.
And, it may be possible that Accusize is doing more quality checking on the items they resell from China (or India?), or specifying higher quality from the same manufacturer. Certainly the stories about mini-lathes indicate that versions from different resellers (Vevor,BusyBee,Grizzly, HarborFreight, LMS, Micromark) are not all the same, even if they come from the same factory in China.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
kijiji would be my first choice. My preference is top brands in good condition at off shore prices. In mu experience, they are nicer to use, give better performance and really show no depreciation in value.
Regional variation in online used selling is interesting. In Victoria BC kijiji is 'a big zero', usually, Craigslist is 'very quiet'. usedvictoria is the most active online site IME, with Facebook (ugh) a close second. Not a lot of used machinist stuff anywhere here, though Vancouver is a different story. The downside of living away from a major city, I guess.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What is it that you need that you can't wait?

I have some Accusize tooling, I don't consider it any better than my AliExpress purchases. KBC is worth a close examination, shipping is quick and not everything is priced over the top.

Accusize tools is a good source, they supply BB and KBC along with a few others.

As I am progressing on the commercial side in machining I am finding the inexpensive does not always equal cost effective. In most cases it is actually more expensive when you add up tool replacement, down time and such.

Research and choose wisely to save money is the best advice I can give.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Cheap cutting tools, and abrasives are IMO a false economy when you're trying to make money with them. Good quality edges while more initially expensive are a much better value.

Tooling, toolholders, workholding etc is a debatable topic though.....

In the home shop, my wallet drives most decisions.....I have much nicer tools at work lol.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Accusize in richmond hill is a dealer of import tooling.

We've bought quite a bit from them over the years at work, from ID/OD turning tools, to cat-40 holders, and have been satisfied with all of it for the price. They've got an amazon presence as well.

https://accusizetools.com/

Vevor Canada is a recent one that came up in some searches too as an importer. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but have my eye on a few things that I might take a punt on in the near future. They sell VFDs, but I'm skeptical of them. Try one and let me know, would ya? :D

Have never ordered from aliexpress, but I've bought a bunch of stuff from banggood a few years ago. Bang, "shit", is the sound that some insert parting blades I bought from them made when I blew up a few in a row a few weeks back. I'd used some with no issues, then all of a sudden 3 explode upon contact, and the 4th was fine. Simple 01 partoff job. Cheap tools..... The cnmg inserts from the same order have been decent. Not great, but useable.

Reminds me of a bunch of years ago when there used to be a lot more traveling tool gypsies. My boss was always a sucker for a good deal, and he bought a bunch of carbide ball endmills from a guy that popped in with a trunk sale. Ever single one of them exploded on contact. Great deal....The good news is that cured him of the habit.

Cutting tools and abrasives are something I generally don't scrimp on. It's a false economy. But every now and then I still get sucked in....
Accusize tooling and others are available from Culler Industrial in Cambridge.
I just picked up a couple #3 Center Drills for $3ea.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
For end-mills / HSS etc. I typically hit aliexpress, and sort of a standing order (order something every month), thinking about the season coming (summer - outdoors, fixing shafts/machinery etc). vs. winter, quality shop time. I substitute Banggood for Ali interchangeably

Some items I buy brand name (starrett band saw blades etc.) because, well, they seem to last longer. Same with Power hacksaw blades -- Sandvik/Starrett

For wrenches/chisels/punches/pliers...... farm auctions/estate sales. I have a set of good wrenches, and then I have a set of "going to the tall-grass to pull the blade off the bushhog mower wrenches. I find the steel from 40 years ago holds up fine, especially for bigger wrenches 2" and up.

Measuring tools - Mitutoyo if I know it will be used a lot, but at the same time I have several BB/Ali test-indicators that are equally fine.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Do not abuse you tools and they will last.
I am pulling cutters from my machinist toolbox and the HSS endmills and form cutters are still able to chip that MS like they did in 1980.
Banggood has provided me a good little band sander,
but their center drills are ‘garbage’.
SOWA have quality CSK and specialty cutters for a high price.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’ll jump on here and recommend accusize as well. Everything I’ve bought from them has been as exactly as good as it should have been for the price. They sell on Amazon too and if you have prime you save on shipping and get stuff very fast.

One time I bought a 5c spindex from them it was a bit out of the purported tolerance but still good enough for my use and they gave me a partial refund without any hassle.