• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best place for economical tools

DHHok

I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't narrow the threads down using the search field. Searching "tools" just brings up my user name. :D

I'm at that point (already) where I have the feeling that I need to buy some tools/accessories for my metal lathe.
At the moment, I just want to get a decent set of bits, but there are so many online sellers that it's tough to know who's reliable and if their product is actually any good.
As you can tell by the title, I've been looking at mostly Chinese stuff, (even though a lot of it ships from North America).
I'm looking at the chinese tools because,
A) well....it's cheap
B) well....I'm cheap
C) Although I can afford to buy name brand quality that will last a lifetime, I don't foresee using my lathe regularly, and at my age, "lifetime" isn't that long. ;)

Soooo.......what have you bought that you are happy with, and from where?

I should mention that I'm interest in not just sources for tooling, but items such as 1ph to 3ph VFD's, RDO's....and pretty much anything lathe associated.

Thanks in advance.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
For taps and dies I’ve had good luck with Sowa. They have different brands depending on your budget. For drill bits I’ve had good luck with Rigid bits from Home Depot. They’re cheap enough that it doesn’t hurt if you break one, but still cut decent.

DHHok

Thanks Tom, but I am looking for something more specific; such as which Vender on Ali, Amazon, etc.

Chicken lights; thank you. Never heard of Sowa before. I'll keep it on file, but for what I am looking for at the moment, it's not in the price range.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am a fan of banggood, the odd time you get something above expectations most of the time its usually what you expected for the money and so far I haven't had any real duds yet.
walmart.ca has a lot of cheaper stuff as well, and I got my parallels from home depot of all places.
Don't forget about Kijiji as well often times you get something way better quality for equal or a bit more money.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Busy Bee has some metal working accessories. Tomorrow I plan on checking out some 1-2-3 blocks, and granite plate which are currently on sale, and maybe a few other things.

DHHok

All good responses guys. Thanks.
However, I would never order the chinese tools from any of the places mentioned, unless I was confident the product was decent. As "combustable herbage" said in regards to Banggood; "...most of the time its usually what you expected for the money...". That's exactly my concern. I expect the cheap chinese stuff to last one or two uses at best.

I guess my question was too vague. I'm not looking for places (like banggood, ali, etc) to look for tools, I want to know what you bought and what brand and/or from what seller, that works well or was better than expected.

An example of what I'm looking at right now are 5~7 piece sets of carbide bit holders (& bits). I see a bunch of them for less than $200, but are any of them ok?
Keep in mind, I'm less than a hobbiest, so I'm not looking to compare to what a competent machinist would use. I'm not looking to turn to with a 0.001". This may be a bit exaggerated, but measuring with a tape measure is typically good enough. :p

Tincup

There are utube posts comparing brand name, quality machinist tools to inexpensive knock offs. Quite well done I thought. Includes the accuracy and feel in the comparison.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I bought some Chinese HSS tool bits from BusyBee Tools and I was impressed with the quality for the price.
I also bought some 3/8" brazed carbide bits from them that were Asian origin and they are standing up well.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I bought some Chinese HSS tool bits from BusyBee Tools and I was impressed with the quality for the price.
I also bought some 3/8" brazed carbide bits from them that were Asian origin and they are standing up well.

Same here, no complaints and price was on par with Amazon.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Busy Bee has some metal working accessories. Tomorrow I plan on checking out some 1-2-3 blocks, and granite plate which are currently on sale, and maybe a few other things.

i would stay away from BB and KMS - way, way too expensive. I pay like 1/2 for most stuff as compared to BB.

On amazon I got these items recntly:

The first one was $15 per and 2nd one was like $21 per. I got a chuck and arbor for 15 CAD which as 1.5 runout and is MT3 for 15 CAD - where BB has that? For 1-2-3 blocks I got them for like 21 CAD and are same accuracy as BB stuff - I think BB are more.

My favorite carbide EM source - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896890158.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef18020fKzvZ

Last DRO https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919941724.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef18020fKzvZ

I did not visit BB in like 3 or 4 years. I only got a felt buffing wheel at KMS in the last year. Way, way too much $$$.

I think there is no simple answer to such a question. It depends on exactly what tool you are looking for and what your needs and expectations are from it. Buying new or second hand? Top quality to last a life time or passable quality for a one off job? I like Kijiji and Facebook marketplace for second hand. You can find lots of barely used power tools there for example that some home owner bought for a one off project and now they are just getting in his way. Or alternatively some old industrial machine that is now obsolete in industry but would be a gem in a home machine shop. Otherwise I often buy on Ebay often direct from China. Chinesium has a bad rep for poor quality but it seems to me their products are improving steadily on the quality front and many are now very passable. Other interesting sources I frequently go to are KBC Tools, Vevor. Princess Auto is a favorite source for me but partly because they are very close to me. I never buy anything retail unless its on a steeply discounted sale or its the only way to get it. I tend to avoid Canadian Tire but even they have decent deals sometimes if you shop carefully. I find just following all the different threads on this forum there are so many great ideas that come up for great purchases that it challenges my budget already! These guys are a bad influence as far as my wallet is concerned.

I've been known to marvel at the way the ladies like to shop. But to be honest I'm no better. The only real difference is that I love looking for tools to add to my workshop! I find its almost half the fun of this hobby!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Accusize in richmond hill is a dealer of import tooling.

We've bought quite a bit from them over the years at work, from ID/OD turning tools, to cat-40 holders, and have been satisfied with all of it for the price. They've got an amazon presence as well.

https://accusizetools.com/

Vevor Canada is a recent one that came up in some searches too as an importer. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but have my eye on a few things that I might take a punt on in the near future. They sell VFDs, but I'm skeptical of them. Try one and let me know, would ya? :D

Have never ordered from aliexpress, but I've bought a bunch of stuff from banggood a few years ago. Bang, "shit", is the sound that some insert parting blades I bought from them made when I blew up a few in a row a few weeks back. I'd used some with no issues, then all of a sudden 3 explode upon contact, and the 4th was fine. Simple 01 partoff job. Cheap tools..... The cnmg inserts from the same order have been decent. Not great, but useable.

Reminds me of a bunch of years ago when there used to be a lot more traveling tool gypsies. My boss was always a sucker for a good deal, and he bought a bunch of carbide ball endmills from a guy that popped in with a trunk sale. Ever single one of them exploded on contact. Great deal....The good news is that cured him of the habit.

Cutting tools and abrasives are something I generally don't scrimp on. It's a false economy. But every now and then I still get sucked in....

deleted_user

Super User
All good responses guys. Thanks.
However, I would never order the chinese tools from any of the places mentioned, unless I was confident the product was decent. As "combustable herbage" said in regards to Banggood; "...most of the time its usually what you expected for the money...". That's exactly my concern. I expect the cheap chinese stuff to last one or two uses at best.

I guess my question was too vague. I'm not looking for places (like banggood, ali, etc) to look for tools, I want to know what you bought and what brand and/or from what seller, that works well or was better than expected.
Like Dan recommended - Accusize.

That's a specific importer of quality products that are worth the money you pay. Most of what they sell is branded under their own name, and they work hard to build and protect their brand.

Often the quality is far better than you expect. They also have excellent customer service in case you have an issue and need to exchange a product. They maintain exacting quality standards with their suppliers and have a good clear communications with said suppliers that gives them an edge on some other Canadian importers.

I've bought boring bars, end mills, tool post and holders from then, spindexers, granite plates and a bunch of other stuff over the past 5 years or so and have not been disappointed once

DHHok

I had already been looking at Accusize, so it's good to know their product is decent.
I originally saw them on Amazon, then googled and found their website.
Pricing seems to be the same at both places, except if you order from Amazon the shipping is free (at least for what I've been looking at).