• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Best place for economical tools

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Man I've never been burnt by Amazon, yes some of the Chinese retailers didn't deliver but Amazon always stepped right up and refunded me.

GlenG

Glen
I gotta say Amazon (including Accusize) are my go to. I’ve never had a problem making returns the few times something i got a dud.

Crankit

I like NOS HSS and measuring tools off of Ebay but it might take digging through many pages of items to find deals, I've picked up some nice stuff around here locally but BC isn't Ontario and you won't stumble across stuff as easy here. FB also has some good deals but I kinda got sick of FB and not really looking around there anymore. Also KBC will have seasonal discounts when you spend a certain amount but those deals aren't as good now as in the past.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On Jan 11th i ordered a transmission jack from Amazon. Still waiting, No tracking, Contacted seller, got a BS reply. Eligible for refund March 14th. Pretty disappointing. But, last time I got a refund, the parts showed up a few weeks later. Why is tracking so hard for stuff from China?

Also, in my experience, anything coming from Richmond BC is not in Canada. They must have a Richmond in China.

Man I really hate myself for buying Chinese stuff.....but you know...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its not always a international sellers issue. I've had email updates that traced the movement right up to the product has landed in Canada. Then it sits in the Customs black hole hockey arena while they slapshot it around a few weeks or more (depends if its playoffs or not). All the seller can convey is its in your country, they cant trace it inside our system. I'm not taking sides because there are lots of scammers. & the pandemic threw more wrenches into the system where shipping routes & carriers were all messed up. I've noticed more & more of my Ali goodies are arriving via Ontario. Tells me some enterprising sellers have garage inventory to expedite.

Gearhead88

Super User
On Jan 11th i ordered a transmission jack from Amazon. Still waiting, No tracking, Contacted seller, got a BS reply. Eligible for refund March 14th. Pretty disappointing. But, last time I got a refund, the parts showed up a few weeks later. Why is tracking so hard for stuff from China?

Also, in my experience, anything coming from Richmond BC is not in Canada. They must have a Richmond in China.

Some times I too can be a sucker for a good deal , often that comes with a case of buyers remorse when you finally get it and realize the low quality of the item .

Gearhead88

Super User

I was just browsing Amazon for machine tool accessories , this stuff was allegedly in Richmond Hill Ont . I'm kinda seeing a pattern here .

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
A bit off topic: I recently 'hit it lucky' with a shipping delay from Amazon. Ordered a $100 LED light panel in December; it still hadn't arrived at the beginning of February. I contacted Amazon (via the website page for problems) and had a full refund within 24 hours. Went back to the amazon website and found the identical item (same supplier) for $55! Ordered it and it arrived 3 days later.
:)
Amazon pricing is peculiar, so it's definitely 'buyer beware' all the time.
About delivery dates- if it says "delivery between xxxx and xxxx+30 days", I assume the more distant date is more likely.
With Chinese sellers having warehousing operations in Canada, sometimes the delivery has been much faster than anticipated....but if I definitely want something quickly I'll pay the higher price to ensure that.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member

terry_g

Ultra Member
I see Walmart.ca sells machine tools and accessories. I haven't done any price comparisons.
They have some Accusize items as well.
I need a slitting saw .032 thick and they are scarce or pricey. Walmart.ca has them but the price
is too good.

Kilohertz

Slightly left of Vernon, BC
I don't have time to read the whole thread but in the last year I have found local for sale listings and garage sales have paid off for me. Buying a specific item of course would be more difficult.

cheers