• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

BB vs KBC drill bits

GlenG

Glen
So I took the risk and brought some, direct from China drill bits.....terrible. So how do the KBC branded drill bits sets (115pc) compare to the BB set, I mean they look like they came from the same Chinese factory. Is there any appreciable difference? I’ve had hit and miss luck with other BB drill bits in the past.

Trying not to break the bank here as well.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I only ever bought 2 drill sets, one from PA the other was a bulk mastercraft box thing, the mastercraft are far superior to the PA. But in the industry every drill bit except the tang ones for a tailstock are pretty well disposable. I learned how to sharpen them and once you have a good feel for it its a handy skill.
My question is, are you breaking drills?, finding them crooked? Or finding they get dull ridiculously fast?
Did you buy coated ones? Or plain hss? I found if it says coated or looks painted, i wont buy it and i will be happier. I really got the PA one for the index, even after every bit is broke i cannot build the index for less ( i got mine at the old barlow location liquidation)

GlenG

Glen
I’m actually currently walking around PA with their 115pc Ti coated set on sale for $60.

Should I drop them and run down the road to BB and get their set for $125, LOL

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So how do the KBC branded drill bits sets (115pc) compare....
KBC is like Travers & other re-sellers when it comes to their house brand names. It 'depends'. Set A could be China bad, set B could be Asia decent, set C could be Europe good. Another distributor may not carry the lowest line so their A could be equivalent to someone else's B. And next year could all be different again. If you call KBC or Travers usually they can look up country of origin. That in itself may not be enough information to go on, but somewhat helpful. Be careful with permutations of 'USA Made', it can actually be an offshore brand which is not 'made in the United States'. When it comes to the stores, all bets off. Anything goes. You will see TiN coated garbage on the same shelf as decent quality.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Norseman bits. USA made. KMS has them - often on sale - about $110 I think for the 29 piece index. I've found them to be very good and for cutting steel well worth the money. I also bought them at the bolt supply house. Sharpening them is not hard with a regular bench grinder - watch some you tubes on that. I learned how in the SAIT class (& Kevin Decelles) it's not too bad and helps loads.

I also bought a big set at BB. Utter crap. I'm really sorry I didn't take them back. $80 i might as well have thrown the money away. I cut about 1/2" in some steel and it was painful and then dull and then just rubbed. I suppose I could sharpen them twice for each hole.

1/2 to 1" set below. it was $200 ish.. Norseman again. I had to order and wait a few weeks at bolt supply house.

Attachments

• 69D2D2DC-1A2C-416F-839C-E24D13695D3B.jpeg
    69D2D2DC-1A2C-416F-839C-E24D13695D3B.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had the sam dismal experience from the Mastercraft Canadian Tire 'Cobalt' drill set. They are made of Swiss cheese!

Nice Drill set, Janger

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Dont! Buy the PA $60 triple index! Its junk junk! Try for lower bit count and a little more money if anything because the cheapest is hammer and chisel mechanic grade o_O

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Most of my drills are Union Butterfield (nos) scored from tool sales. If I need new, I usually go with Norseman/Viking or Cleveland brands. All these brands have good point geometry and come with a good, lasting factory edge.

Don’t waste $s on cheap drills. Same goes for taps and dies. All they do is get you frustrated because they dull fast, break at the worst possible time and cost you more in the long run because you’ll be buying new ones forever.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What brand did Sears Canada flog?

Seems like it was pretty good stuff. My Sears socket set has stood the test of time and abuse. The drill bit set I inherited when we cleaned out my parents house seems to be good. I'm thinking it is a Sears product. Dad pretty much bought all of his tools from Sears.

I recollect taking a Sears screw driver back that I toasted in a fuse box ooooops. Was replaced no questions asked.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Big difference between what Sears sold 20 years ago (Dorian) and what they sold 5 years ago (offshore junk).. Possibly this direction is why Sears is no longer with us.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Agree. A lot of Sears Craftsman brand were their own spec tool line or big name tools in disguise as evidenced by interchangeable parts. Then they started to dilute the line with lower quality and/or phase out the name altogether & just sell yellow Dewalt's or red Milwaukee's by name. Your dads banged up Craftsman wrenches of the 60-70's are likely better quality than what they were selling new in the 2000's. I think the only reason they are afloat (if they are) is the real estate sans debt. Fortunately there will be a new Bed Bath & Beyond on those big parking lots offering all kinds of useful things for us tool junkies - LOL.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I received a flyer from DMH with these drills intro offer. Sometimes they have discount with new product lines they carry, sometimes just regular promo. I'm not sure, you would have to check, but I thought BRT were German.

Attachments

• SNAG-000 2-5-2019.jpg
    SNAG-000 2-5-2019.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

Brian H

Super User
I recently purchased a set of titanium twist drills at princess auto (numbered, lettered and fractional) and have been impressed with the quality. I know its hit or miss there sometimes, but, this time I lucked out and got a good set.
I have also purchase a couple select sizes of their cobalt bits and they work exceptionally

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have given the PA 115 set to dad. They are... not good. Got it for just over $40 so not too bad. Went to dad same as Canadian Tire bulk stuff.

I also long ago got PA1/2 shank up to 1" set. Seems to work fine. Just go slow with it.

My main set is Dewalt cobalt.

My set A is carbide - but I miss some sizes maxing out at just 1/2"

I also have a lot of used drill bits that I got bulk.

I also got most size drill bits by 1/64 to 2". I actually used the 2" yesterday - I am making a back plate.