AXA Tool Holders.... What do you think? Worth a try?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
there does see a big spread on prices....just order this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09MQYTTYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$35 for post and holders...granted next size down (OXA), but still. I was going to buy from Aliexpress until I saw that.

I never cared much for Accusize....from the perspective that they started out as vendor/retailer of the ubiquitous low cost Chinese machinist products. Then one day the slapped the their brand on all the same generic stuff they buy and doubled and tripled the price.

I think they add a distributors value, say 30%, but thats about it. just imo.

darrin1200

Darrin
I have Accusize holders and post. When I needed some more, I followed a recommendation in a post her, and ordered some through Walmart.

If memory serves, they were $12 ea. Over all, I’m happy with them, but one is very loose. The lever is almost at the end of travel before it locks.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just a suggestion. A few years ago I ordered a full set of 10 BXA holders that also came with a piston style toolpost. I don't remember what the set cost nor even where I got it, but I do remember that it mathed out to 50% off per holder and a free post. I still have the post. Elsewhere on this forum someone mounted a post on the backside of their Cross-Slide. I loved that idea. So a future project is to mount and use the tool post the same way for back side work.

All this is just to say that sometimes it's worth the math and the cold swim to buy something you don't need in order to get what you do need at a bargain price. Watch for whole tool post sets and conversion kits to get a potentially better deal on tool holders.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well..... Amazon claims my order shipped today. China Post:rolleyes:

Original claim was 1-3 weeks to ship?

deleted_user

Super User
Amazon just hedges their bets. Some Chinese sellers ship almost immediately, and I've had China Post packages arrive surprisingly fast at times. In fact IIRC I've had several state china post but then become DHL shipments when they got to export destination.

I'm following along so please do update shipping tracking if you can. I was all set to buy some last night and then Tom swooped in and did so and advised to space out orders so we dont cause price inflation.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There is no tracking, at least I never got any tracking. Just b/c seller marked "shipped" does not mean it has indeed shipped.

What is interesting is how long you have to dispute. The dispute can be started at least 3 days after last estimated arrival day, or up to 90 days after such day. If seller fails to ship or it never gets to you, you have some room to dispute. BUT the seller can be "evil" and simply hope that you do not remember you even ordered this stuff!

Looking at history of these sellers they seem strange. Like for example, they have just over 50% satisfaction rating. They do ship some stuff, some does not get to customers and some ends up broken on arrival. All very strange. Have little clue as to what is going on. If it was a loss leader you would assume they wanted to build good reputation... but nope.

deleted_user

Super User
There is no tracking, at least I never got any tracking. Just b/c seller marked "shipped" does not mean it has indeed shipped.

What is interesting is how long you have to dispute. The dispute can be started at least 3 days after last estimated arrival day, or up to 90 days after such day. If seller fails to ship or it never gets to you, you have some room to dispute. BUT the seller can be "evil" and simply hope that you do not remember you even ordered this stuff!

Looking at history of these sellers they seem strange. Like for example, they have just over 50% satisfaction rating. They do ship some stuff, some does not get to customers and some ends up broken on arrival. All very strange. Have little clue as to what is going on. If it was a loss leader you would assume they wanted to build good reputation... but nope.
You looked into them far more than I have.

I was just willing to plunk down 45 bucks on a gamble...

DaveK

Guys don't order all now - if we do, price will go through the roof. Patience - wait few days, order, then the next guy.
Or wait until I put an unused set in the classified. Short story, I bought this set :

without checking the stud on my compound ... it was fixed and had a huge shoulder ... toolpost wouldn't fit ... so I did what anyone would do ... sold the lathe and bought an ML7 with Dickson QC included.

When I sell the set it will include a box of inserts for the cutoff tool (for aluminium).

Dave

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sure I can buy AXA tool holders. Chinese ones are fine. They don't fit too well on my US tool post (loose) but for the right price I can take some. I can pay $10 per tool holder. Probably can take like 5. Regular type, no parting or knurling. $15 if you have factory made 3/4 in size.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got a slew of BXA holders from Accusize in 3 batches, and they all fit my Aloris perfectly. They aren't quite as hard as an authentic Aloris, but they are beefy enough for me. I think I averaged about $13.50 each.

I bought a mix of flat bottomed and vee bottomed holders. My ratio is about 2/3 flat, 1/3 vee.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
those really are great prices on these things, it would make no sense to roll your own. What a glorious time to be alive lol. The hardness thing imo doesn't matter, it won't affect performance and we're not the sorts to be bashing and crashing our precious tools and machines

Once upon a time you made tool holders them because they were 50 - 250/holder or more and you wanted 20 of them. For Aloris style, to be super simple/cheap, you don't even need to cut the dovetails, just weld on two lengths of round bar such that they fit the dovetails of the holder. Even that budget approach is not at all worth it $13.5 holder

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Exactly. I got in a big chink of 4140 as I was appalled at the Aloris prices. Then Janger twigged me to the accusize ones. Even with shipping I was still under 20 bucks per.

This was about 3-4 years ago. I was trying to get in a carbide dovetail cutter to make them (4140 kinda needs insert tooling for this) but it was going to be obscene to buy. The only cheap one at the time was from Shars and they were out of stock till well after I bought the accusize ones.

Even though I'm moving to Dickson for my bigger lathe, I'll still be able to use the holders in the smaller lathe,

Last edited: