AXA Tool Holder(s)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You've got it. I measured the width of the narrow portion and depth of the dove tail on a factory holder and machined a slot to match. Then I measured the width of the wide portion of the dove tail on a factory holder to use as a first approximation for how deep I would have to cut each side of the slot. 3/4 of the way thorough to the approximation target I switched to comparing the width measured between 1/4" drill shanks to that of a factory holder. Worked like a charm.

If that doesn't make sense PM me.

Makes perfect sense Craig.

Nice job!

Thank you!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @YYCHM, I'm just putting the final touches on my tool post grinder. Almost done. Just need to add the adjuster stud system. What did you end up doing for the adjustment screw on your tool holders?

I just measured mine at M10.0-1.0. Actually they are a little under 10 at 9. 7mm. But that's prolly just clearance.

The problem is that this thread doesn't even show up in my tap charts. I have no idea where I can buy that size tap. Same goes for the stud, the adjustment collar and the spring washer. Where the heck do I get those? I don't think those toll post yahoos want us making our own....

Hey @YYCHM, I'm just putting the final touches on my tool post grinder. Almost done. Just need to add the adjuster stud system. What did you end up doing for the adjustment screw on your tool holders?

I just measured mine at M10.0-1.0. Actually they are a little under 10 at 9. 7mm. But that's prolly just clearance.

The problem is that this thread doesn't even show up in my tap charts. I have no idea where I can buy that size tap. Same goes for the stud, the adjustment collar and the spring washer. Where the heck do I get those? I don't think those toll post yahoos want us making our own....
I used 5/16" fine thread and made my own nuts. Be damned if I will conform....:D:D:rolleyes:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

3/8-24. I don't have anything metric around here apart from some metric endmills, so I ordered setscrews, nuts and a bottom tap from KBC. The round knurled adjustment nut I made on the lathe. As for the spring washers I haven't a clue but I'm not convinced they are totally necessary.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had to get some oddball taps for my engine for a 1-time job. Oddball to N-Am but very common in Asia. I wasn't expecting much but they were OK quality & did the job. Example from AliExpress. It can be a bit of crap shoot. Some are yeesh & some are excellent. Try & stick with machine supply places.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-04-20 6.02.04 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-04-20 6.02.04 PM.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks @PeterT . I will order a tap and die for "next time" because that will take too long for "this time" (says the guy who takes months and months and months to do a small little project.)

Switching to Imperial sounds like a workable "this time" plan to me @YYCHM. But mine are BXA so @140mower s are too small and yours are borderline. Therefore, I'll prolly go with 7/16 fine.

Thanks everyone.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
great choice .050 per revolution.

I didn't even realize that! Very true. One could even etch up the wheel for that. Very cool! Makes me want to figure out how to change all my holders..... LOL!

3/8-24. I don't have anything metric around here apart from some metric endmills, so I ordered setscrews, nuts and a bottom tap from KBC. The round knurled adjustment nut I made on the lathe. As for the spring washers I haven't a clue but I'm not convinced they are totally necessary.
Yup, that is what I used as well, had a geriatric moment and the cheese slid off the cracker. I do know that I didn't have a bottoming tap, but used to have 3 tapered ones, zip disc and a grinder solved that.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup, that is what I used as well, had a geriatric moment and the cheese slid off the cracker. I do know that I didn't have a bottoming tap, but used to have 3 tapered ones, zip disc and a grinder solved that.

Ive done that too.

It's also a bit of a dog bisquit to do that when you break a tap for those times when you can.