• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Any Toronto GTA members interested in a meet-up?

Murdoch

Hope this is ok to post, if not my apologies to the admins for any violation or lines that I may have crossed...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
If you guys want to arrange something we can post it on the main page. I’m sure there are quiet members in gta besides yourself.

Murdoch

Sure thing.
I should mention that having limited space where I live, hosting is a no can do for me...

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey Josh @Jwest7788 can you make a gta section on the forum?

And @Murdoch I can add the meet ups details to the banner in the site. I just need to know what they are. When, where, etc.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hope this is ok to post, if not my apologies to the admins for any violation or lines that I may have crossed...
Not an issue. We're pretty easy going.

I've created that new forum. Moved this thread over too! :)

Done and Done:
https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/forums/greater-toronto-area-local-forums.41/

I agree with @Janger, need the meetup details and we can set up banners for you too.
I'm working on gathering more information on members in future, so we can show banners to people in specific areas, etc, but that's not setup just yet!

JW

Edit: Combined multiple replies into a single reply.

Murdoch

The first post is a meet-up that I was hoping to attend. I was given info by a guy who responded to an ad that I placed in kijiji. In the ad I had said that I was looking to create a group that would be interested in metal casting. This guy Sam responds telling me that he has a biz in casting. He then mentions the blacksmiths meet. So I meet the guy prior and holy crap this guy is out there. Bloody nuts. So needless to say I won't be attending the blacksmiths meet in the future.

Now another Toronto meet-up Is in the works for Toronto and GTA members of this fine forum. So I'm new to this kinda organizing and It was suggested that a meet at a Tummies is the norm. The location and date I am unsure about as scheduling conflicts can arise with this sort of this and such. So if their are members in the area who would like to get together and talk shop just send a message or simply just post and hopefully we can make this happen. Thanks guys for your help...

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Makes sense, and I am happy to help where I can. Anyone who shows up at your meet, we can help to organize future meetups with too.

My first meetup, I simply posted to Kijiji, and also to meetup.com.

Set a date and time, and we can make a new thread specific to your meetup in this new GTA forum. You can then link to it from other sources as needed?

Let me know what you're thinking, or if you have questions about what we've done in the past. Timmies has always worked well, though our meets are probably approaching the max size before they squawk, haha.

JW

Murdoch

Yeah well I'd like to stay away from Kijiji.
That being said, I'll take any advice that you can offer.
Especially your past meets.
Not hard to tell that all of this is rather new to me. I mean the skills I have for jewelry is one thing but casting, forming and machining is what I am hoping to gain. Plus it would be a bonus to meet like minded folks who have the same passion. My friends really don't have any desire for this medium...

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
r)I'll be totally honest with you, this whole forum, all of our meetups and everything here, originated with a kijiji post looking for scrap metal to learn with.

All in all, I would do it that way again in a heartbeat, the folks I've met, or chatted with online here, are good. The vast majority (well over 99% I would argue) have been fantastic people. I feel that you'll likely find the same if you follow the same road. It's not Kijiji that brings out the worst in people, it's money, and trying to get something second hand for as little of it as possible.

For organizing a meet, it was great.

Generally, I find the policy of searing honesty seems to work best, both just generally, but also when trying to get a meet together. Transparency about it being a first thing on your end, and transparency about your goals, why you're meeting in the chosen location, etc.
That's all I ever did, and it worked out great. I would start with a meetup.com post, (or eventbrite if you want, but I recently decided meetup.com was probably better)

From there, you can simply copy your event description into a kijiji post, and a thread here, being sure to cross link them to each other (the forum and meetup.com) and I suspect you'll find it will take on a life of it's own. Might not be a huge meetup at first, but in my experience, it will snowball from there.

Just my two cents, but let me know how I can support you and your meet.

Feel free to use our logo (attached) if you think it would be beneficial.

(There is obviously a "please don't be a dink if you're going to use our logo" rule, but I know that if you're going out of your way to organizing a meetup for like-minded folk, it won't be an issue, but I have to mention it, haha)

Let me know if/how I can assist with anything mentioned above or otherwise. I'm here to support. I love the idea of having an even more colourful group of people from an even wider set of backgrounds across a larger portion of the country, so don't hesitate to let me know if I can help further, or if you want to pick my brain.

I'll PM you my cell.

JW

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 6
  • logobrown.png
    logobrown.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 6

Murdoch

Well I had posted an ad in kijiji for this meet.
I did check Meetup.com they want $15.00 US funds so being Scottish I'm frugal and kijiji is free lol.
I'll keep you updated with this for sure. Thanks Josh for the helping hand. You da man...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We're having a meetup in Calgary Nov 17/2019. It's a little far for you guys but you are of course welcome! Maybe you guys in GTA should have a meetup too ?

Brent H

Ultra Member
I would be interested - I am going down to the GTA on Dec 1 (Sunday) for a retirement course on the 2nd. Looks like I would be in the Yorkdale area. I could plan the travel around the meet up?

Might be cool to put a face to some names

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Somebody in GTA please step up and book a place and time - I can put a banner up if you like.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I'd like to but I'm not sure I can spare the time that weekend. We're launching into a major renovation of the house and the contractors may be starting the next week.

Craig