• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

And now I have a mill!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Ever since I built mine, I've been tweaking it, so it isn't 'finished' yet, so no project description for public view! But hopefully soon. Okay, may maybe the summer ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Janger
Unfortunately no tooling to speak of as the seller only used it as a drill press.
So I need a vise etc.

@trlvn it has an MT3 taper so sadly it doesn’t match my handle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
To lift my mill (pretty much the same model as yours is), I run a chain down thru the column and loop the end around a common 1/2 drive extension at the bottom of the column. The mill will lift almost straight up and absolutely cannot "over-center"...a danger of any "underneath sling lifting " apparatus, the top of the thing always wants to tip out of its harness it seems. Lifting through the center with a suitable rated engine hoist just eliminates all the dangers...and you can do it yourself. My-ownself, I hate lifting stuff with "help around" unless absolutely nessesary...the less hands-fingers-feet targets around the better.

That is a great idea! I think that might work with some of the bigger square column machines too.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The mill came with this stand.
The photo is from the back of the stand.
78e6aed3df1343e7c9c84b8d0eee5afa.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The stand alone probably weighs 40 pounds!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What is the motor rated at?
What are the table dimensions?
What is the table range of motion?
What is the spindle range of motion?

I'm trying to compare your find with what you get from BB for a K. At 350# assembled that's something I could get into my basement.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What is the motor rated at?
What is the table range of motion?
What is the spindle range of motion?

It’s a 1hp motor 110/220v
I know that there’s 6” of Y axis travel
I don’t know the x axis travel at the moment
There's just a bit over 5” of spindle travel

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So far.

2 1/2 X heavier
2 X more HP
2" more y travel
2" less spindle travel

A way stiffer column I would imagine.

That manual Dusty posted doesn't have any specs in it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So far.

2 1/2 X heavier
2 X more HP
2" more y travel
2" less spindle travel

A way stiffer column I would imagine.

That manual Dusty posted doesn't have any specs in it.
It’s a seriously hefty machine, all in it weighs about 600 lbs.
The column wall thickness is about 1/4” or so.
What are you comparing it to?

The table is 9x27.75

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I completely understand where you’re at @YYCHobbyMachinist as that’s where I was too.

I wanted to get the most machine for less than $2000. A King KC-20VS is $1999 at KMS, a new RF30 clone is about $2300.

I looked at an RF40 but the seller was asking more than I was willing to pay. And it wasn’t as nice as what I bought.

I haven’t even plugged it in yet but I did see it running at the seller’s shop and I was impressed by its mass and stability.

I can’t offer an objective opinion but I read a lot about them to understand their advantages and peculiarities.

The basic advice I got was to get the biggest, heaviest mill I could afford or accommodate.

Where I live there are basically no Bridgeport’s to be found or any one that is available is priced way out of my range.

I have a bunch of elbow grease to get this machine cleaned up but I expect it will do what I need for a long time.