And now I have a mill!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So a thing happened today.
I bought the Long Chang LC-30A mill :)
Here's some pics of the event.

The seller, Larry had a Toro walk-behind bobcat type loader. When I arrived he was in the middle of fabricating a platform to stand on behind the machine because it was a leeetle precarious.
Mill on forks.jpg

We bolted the mill to a pair of 2x6s so that it couldn't tip forward.
mill in truck.jpg

I don't have a lift but I did have a plan :)
In an attempt to lighten the load, I removed the motor and the countershaft assembly. I could then pick it up off the base and sit it on the box.
motor off.jpg

Shims under the column
shims on base.jpg

And the column and head are on the ground. Honestly this was a bit terrifying. I lifted the column off the base and onto the truck bed. I positioned 2x6s so I could walk it down the ramp but it was really unbalanced toward the spindle end. I almost lost it at one point. Thankfully the column gave me lots of leverage.
column on the floor.jpg

I pulled my truck forward and wedged the 2x6s between the box and the edge of my garage floor pad. I had to raise the base high enough to clear the bolts that were coming up from the bottom of the 2x6s. Then I levered the base slowly onto the ramp.
sliding base.jpg

And voila! On the floor of my garage.
base on the floor.jpg

I left the seller's house at 1:30, drove home about 25 mins, ate lunch, and had the mill all in my garage by 5:30. All in all it went far better than I expected. Maybe because I had thought about the unloading for about 24 hrs straight!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Congratulations David, glad everything went safely which is a huge plus with moving heavy gear. Looking good keep the pictures coming.

Now for some TLC, careful assembly, leveling the beast, then checking out the operation. Enjoy your new toy and play safe my friend.

Bill

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Congrats David! It will be a great addition to your shop! I'm happy it went well!

Thanks! I had visions of your gantry in my mind the whole time I was moving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Nice machine and good job . Many factor to check first is Safety when manipulate heavy equipment you won't be able to retain if it fall off, most guy's will try to hold it if something go wrong the result will be injure so be safe. next put all the part's back together ,clean it ,and last get the best place to place it. Last enjoy.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Now I am assuming you need to get er up on a bench or table of some height. I have lifted my mill all in one piece a few times. I am luck to have an engine hoist available all the time but it seems you don't, one can be rented from tool rental places for a few dollars a day and will make your life much easier.

To lift my mill (pretty much the same model as yours is), I run a chain down thru the column and loop the end around a common 1/2 drive extension at the bottom of the column. The mill will lift almost straight up and absolutely cannot "over-center"...a danger of any "underneath sling lifting " apparatus, the top of the thing always wants to tip out of its harness it seems. Lifting through the center with a suitable rated engine hoist just eliminates all the dangers...and you can do it yourself. My-ownself, I hate lifting stuff with "help around" unless absolutely nessesary...the less hands-fingers-feet targets around the better.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Congrats - you'll know every nut and bolt in the machine once back together.
What Marc said - watch your back, I over stressed mine a few years ago and I hear about it every day.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now I am assuming you need to get er up on a bench or table of some height. I have lifted my mill all in one piece a few times. I am luck to have an engine hoist available all the time but it seems you don't, one can be rented from tool rental places for a few dollars a day and will make your life much easier.

To lift my mill (pretty much the same model as yours is), I run a chain down thru the column and loop the end around a common 1/2 drive extension at the bottom of the column. The mill will lift almost straight up and absolutely cannot "over-center"...a danger of any "underneath sling lifting " apparatus, the top of the thing always wants to tip out of its harness it seems. Lifting through the center with a suitable rated engine hoist just eliminates all the dangers...and you can do it yourself. My-ownself, I hate lifting stuff with "help around" unless absolutely nessesary...the less hands-fingers-feet targets around the better.
Indeed, while it was relatively easy to get it off my truck, there's no way I can deadlift it even in pieces onto its bench. So I will have to rig up a hoist or rent one. Thanks for the tip on running a chain through the column, getting the colun and head off the truck was the most precarious because of how front heavy it was. I read Chris Sparber's piece on moving his mill and by his calculations the head and column weigh 195 lbs!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Congrats - you'll know every nut and bolt in the machine once back together.
What Marc said - watch your back, I over stressed mine a few years ago and I hear about it every day.
Ouch!
I was very conscious about lifting yesterday. I definitely don't want injury to hound me for years to come.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now David will have to make a gantry crane!
When I worked in the US I had a super slick gantry crane that was rated for 1200 lbs. and broke down into manageable bits. It was all aluminum so it didn't take two people to carry the components. I wish I had it now!

Last edited:

francist

Super User
I wish I had it now!

Probably wouldn't take that much to build one, a man of your versatility you know. Just some aluminum channel and a few bolts and doo-dads.... of course it would go faster if you had a little horizontal bandsaw to do all the cutting with..... ;)