Aluminum Chips press?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Pretty cool. What is the price range for a monster like that? Matt got a link for the that one for more info? What are you going to do for a safety curtain?

I see it's electric and hydraulic. I don't understand hydraulics very well. Nobody ever makes things that push hard with screws and gears other than arbor presses which are on the low strength scale. So why are hydraulics the way to go? I have a half finished 20 ton press for my spouse and her jewelry projects based on a published design. It uses a 20 bottle jack and monstrous ready rod. I'll have to post some pictures.

Bandit

Super User
You can make a press that uses screws and gears and will push hard, however they generally need a lot of room to work levers, etc, fiction starts to work in to the effert put in to what work comes out. On the really big jobs, the people doing the work need to be fed, and there is always a few pushing the wrong way!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't understand hydraulics very well.

Hydraulic pressure is a universal way to achieve extremely high forces. It's all about psi - (pounds per square inch).

Most oil pressure systems and pumps generate pressure around 3000 psi. The hoses and systems are capable of more as a safety factor.

3000psi acting on one side of a piston with a diameter of 6 inches is 3000 x pie r ^2 = 85,000 pounds of force. Even a very small pump can generate 3000 psi.

Think of it like leverage where the leverage is the area of the pump piston applied to the area of the work piston.

Of course, the bigger the work piston, the longer it takes to move it a given distance.

That's why you can jack up your car with one finger using a hydraulic bottle jack.

Does that answer your question?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Pretty cool. What is the price range for a monster like that? Matt got a link for the that one for more info? What are you going to do for a safety curtain?

I see it's electric and hydraulic. I don't understand hydraulics very well. Nobody ever makes things that push hard with screws and gears other than arbor presses which are on the low strength scale. So why are hydraulics the way to go? I have a half finished 20 ton press for my spouse and her jewelry projects based on a published design. It uses a 20 bottle jack and monstrous ready rod. I'll have to post some pictures.
Electric is the pump. instead of hand or air over. Air over is deafening, both air over and hand are slow. Electric is the cats meow.