Aluminum Chips press?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have a lot of pure scrap aluminum. I am trying to find a method of compacting into about 2-3 inch diameter pucks. The purpose is to hopefully reduce air and oxidization for reclamation in the small propane foundry. I have seen only one video of a guy using a pop can to put the chips in and compacting with a stick. The melt time was excessive at 40 minutes. He was using a can for a crucible. The combination of not packing it tight and not having a proper crucible equals too much cost for fuel. I have attached the link.

I am thinking of using a log splitter to compact the chips. My main question though is if that is enough force? It would be faster than a shop press. Looking now a log splitter from crappy tire ranges about 400 on sale for 9 tons. I would need to make modifications to it. This does seem risky if it is a failure, in that I have no wood to split....

Many have said that its the wrong kind of aluminum. It could be mixed with either the correct alloy, or adding silicon. also link attached.

So my questions are, has anyone tried to make briquettes for this purpose? Would I just be better off to curb the chips? I could try the idea in first video, to see if it is worth 400 dollars to pursue it.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you have a press I'd try that before spending the cash and time to modify a log splitter.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree, if you have a press try that first, or build a cheap one with a bottle jack

You may find it doesn't really work at all, or it may work awesome and it's worth the investment

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
If you have a press I'd try that before spending the cash and time to modify a log splitter.
I have no press.
I agree, if you have a press try that first, or build a cheap one with a bottle jack

You may find it doesn't really work at all, or it may work awesome and it's worth the investment
I think for the sake of an experiment, I will try the pop can method but compress using an arbor press at my friends car shop. I want to prove if it is worth the time and effort. Now that I have procrastinated all morning on my real job for today.. storing the mess that's on my floor. I went up to depot and bought a BIG bin to clean up the pile and keep it dry till the spring..

1701627241310.png

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Mehamozg has a nice setup using a hydraulic press.

This is nice, exactly what is needed without much experimentation. I had searched high and low for such a video. Now just to make a few rings to try on a small scale before investing in any kind of press. (borrow usage first). One good question I would have through is how much tons is that press ?

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
This is nice, exactly what is needed without much experimentation. I had searched high and low for such a video. Now just to make a few rings to try on a small scale before investing in any kind of press. (borrow usage first). One good question I would have through is how much tons is that press ?
If you enable captions on the video and switch to English, he may mention it in there somewhere.

The press is using double cylinder, and a pump, in this case I would guess 40tons, 2x20 ton cylinders which are fairly common.

To guess at what you need consider what size (dia) puck you want. Use his video scale off the puck size he is creating calculate the max load (don't think he is using max by the sound of the pump likely closer to half), calculated the PSI needed and size you die accordingly. Just remember the biggest increase is caused by surface area being squeezed, length adds some but not in the same proportion.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
If you have either style of automotive jack , hyd bottle or scissor screw jack you can make an add-hock press that will exert enough pressure for your project. a piece of pipe and 2 sliding steel plugs that closely fit the ID of your pipe will make a "squeezer". put the jack on a concrete floor and something heavy and substantial over top ( vehicle bumper) with room for your squeezer between and your off!!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
The press is using double cylinder, and a pump, in this case I would guess 40tons, 2x20 ton cylinders which are fairly common.

To guess at what you need consider what size (dia) puck you want. Use his video scale off the puck size he is creating calculate the max load (don't think he is using max by the sound of the pump likely closer to half), calculated the PSI needed and size you die accordingly. Just remember the biggest increase is caused by surface area being squeezed, length adds some but not in the same proportion.
This is one long cylinder, with two guide pins. See the hoses and where they connect to the long cylinder..

1701729540130.png

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

Attachments

• 1702797873268.png
    1702797873268.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 5

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Did not pull the trigger. I need speed, this press does not have that, I have over 100 pounds or more to compress. My next through is back to a log splitter, OR, having a forging press made by these guys....I have an RFQ out... Conventional electric presses are getting up into the 8500 range.... I will see whet Juggernaut comes in at.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Just for testing how about a really long lever and body weight? Say a 2 by x by 12. The far end has a bolt through into something immovable like a fence post that is cemented in. Then pull down on the end.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Say the compression head is 0.33 feet from the end of the board. The board is 12 feet long. So 12/0.33 = a multiplier of 36. 36 * 200 pounds (the user pulling down on the lever). 7200 pounds or 3.6 tons. I think you could attempt it this way with little expense.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Say the compression head is 0.33 feet from the end of the board. The board is 12 feet long. So 12/0.33 = a multiplier of 36. 36 * 200 pounds (the user pulling down on the lever). 7200 pounds or 3.6 tons. I think you could attempt it this way with little expense.
Thanks for this idea. I have access to a shop press at the Griffith shop here in town. I will need to make the sleeve and pin as shown in the first Russian video. I think I have stock around to make both.. Also I have a few other Christmas small projects to get done B4 January 2... I will post out the results of test 1. If this is successful, I have my eye on a electric-hydraulic press to go see in Woodstock the week after. I will bring my crude die and pin and test it there too.

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
This looks like the perfect task for a fly press, but it’s difficult to get tonnage ratings for fly presses. They are pretty hard to find.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This looks like the perfect task for a fly press, but it’s difficult to get tonnage ratings for fly presses. They are pretty hard to find.
I did have a look as / your suggestion. These range 3 - 5 tons. They like to move around , walk.. If 3 tons would do it, an arbor press might be enough. I can test this also at the Griffith shop after Jan 2... Mainly at this point is how much pressure do I need.. The Russian is estimated at 20 tons, and my boss thinks this amount also. As far as cake size, I think about 2.5 - 3.0 diameter. This depends on my crucible, which I need to go look at before making the die-punch.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am looking at a 50 ton electric hydraulic press. This will not just be for pressing cookies!! I need speed to do the job for one, and quiet, I have spent a lot of time looking at YouTube videos and conclude that air over will not be fun to work with, will take till the spring just to do one job, and the list goes on.. Unfortunately speed costs..

Other uses to include spotting press, stamping, bending...

Santa will be a few days late on this one, but this is what I am looking at..

Attachments

• press.PNG
    press.PNG
    333 KB · Views: 9