• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Affordable grinding/sanding implements?

I've been eyeing this VRT shop 100% bolt together design. Of course there are some things I might do a bit different but I suspect all these grinders inevitably get a personal touch in some manner, or have to be modified on basis of motor selection, space limits, whatever. Of course if you have a welder there are lots of places where it would be beneficial, so use it. But I'm trying to visualize issues where a bolt together would not be satisfactory. Maybe my brain just wants to see if an IKEA 1-hex wrench design is possible haha.

description on Etsy here
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1801679329/2x72-tilting-belt-grinder-metric-plans?click_key=9c39407d9dbe3bc464942832bcc0660d648ddbbc:1801679329&click_sum=9b93f35e&external=1&rec_type=cs&ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-8&sts=1

YouTube channel elaboration here

Where is the best place to buy belt wheel components (for a Canuck)? Seems like those are items not worth self-fabricating unless you had a real custom design. Nexus has parts but maybe more orientated to his own kit? Seems like good one stop shopping for belt grinder supplies but some of the drive components & electrics seem spendy (although I havent really sat down to compare).

I found a set of wheels on Amazon that had 1/2” ID bearings and a 5” drive wheel.

The welded designs in my mind seem like a lot less work then a bolted only design. I can throw down some serious weld in the time it takes me to measure, align, drill and tap a whole bunch of bolt holes or threaded holes. I also have welders and can weld OK for an amateur.

The welding seems like such an easier option to me, if I hadn’t bought a mig welder, I would buy one for the project and sell when I’m done.

But there are definately people that are better at milling/drilling/layout then I am by miles.

In my mind though when I do the time spent calculation, the welded option is easy street. And the drilled/milled/bolted option is much more laborious. Could be wrong though.

It might just be what I am comfortable with.

Yup, its always about the tools you have (or justification to acquire haha). 90% of this 2D plate work, especially with slots & radius & spot hole locations would be perfect for outsourcing to CNC water jet or laser depending on material. Holes are easy once a computer has spotted them & adds little to the cutting time. But outsourcing is another cost to be factored.

Just some from my book marks.
Don't forget all the ones on grabcad if your not to bad at cad design.
On our sister forum in the US I have been following this current thread. Why buy when you can cast and make the parts.

Same place I mentioned in post #41.

I dunno, you guys tell me. Is $825 (cheapest option) no electrics, no belts, smallest tool rest... a good price for what you see?
1729044191585.png

I know a couple of guys who own these units and they are quite happy with them. IMHO, It seems like a pretty solid little grinder for the price.

@PeterT it is not a tilting design, so it’s simply a vertical grinder.

It’s also more money then I am spending on Jer Schmidt’s design that I am building right now, although it is a complete unit so no building involved.

It seems like a decent unit though, but for me, the tilting feature was a must have, as I have no desire to own two belt grinders, but think the horizontal mode would come in crazy handy, especially with a small wheel attachment.

Back