• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Add your first name & picture to your profile please - what do you all think?

First name and Picture on your account - your opinion.

• Yes, first name and picture is ok.

Votes: 88 56.4%
  • Yes, first name but no picture

Votes: 41 26.3%
  • Yes, picture only, no first name.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks. I'm just not comfortable with this.

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • I have another idea - posting about it.

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I just noticed an interesting forum feature. When browsing on my phone the signature line is only visible when the phone is in landscape mode. When in portrait mode the sig is skipped.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Peter
It’s kinda hard to say. The software shows 1600 registered members but many of those seem to be spammers. I would guess perhaps half are actual metal workers.
J

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
As well, many join to get a part made or purchase something from the classifieds and are never heard from again.

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Part of what I like about this forum is the ability for any user to suggest a change, see an actual vote, and then have the change enacted.

The group direction, participation, and overall flow is awesome.

Custom titles were set to a moderator only capability. Everyone who wants it, has that ability now.

Cheers!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Part of what I like about this forum is the ability for any user to suggest a change, see an actual vote, and then have the change enacted.

The group direction, participation, and overall flow is awesome.

Custom titles were set to a moderator only capability. Everyone who wants it, has that ability now.

Cheers!
Josh, we miss you :)

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
After checking the voting statistics top of page I would hardly think 21 votes as being anywhere near enough to initiate any sort of change.

John's best guess suggests we might have some 800 members who are metal workers.

Wouldn't a serious count of members who posted to the forum over the past 12 months offer a more realistic number of active or interested individuals. Just saying!

If you posted once or 100 times in a given the year you will count as one (1) active member.

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Josh, we miss you :)

Missing the forum team too! I am still around, and do check my messages!

Admittedly, I am really looking forward to another Meetup. Have been thinking about it for awhile now, but the whole virus thing has kept me from pushing ahead with anything.

After checking the voting statistics top of page I would hardly think 21 votes as being anywhere near enough to initiate any sort of change.

John's best guess suggests we might have some 800 members who are metal workers.

Wouldn't a serious count of members who posted to the forum over the past 12 months offer a more realistic number of active or interested individuals. Just saying!

If you posted once or 100 times in a given the year you will count as one (1) active member.

The only change I've enacted is giving all users, regardless as to their "user level", all having the capability to add extra info to their profile.

It's not a mandatory requirement.

Instead, a new capability for those who want to use it.

With regard to forum usage, here's an update for everyone, as it has been a long time.
This year to date we've had 17,658 unique visitors (IP addresses) access the forum.
We recently had over 45,000 pages viewed in a single month, peaked at 2,000 pages in a single day.

I made the decision a long time ago not to make the analytics on this site overly granular. (Same time I made the declaration that I want to avoid banner advertising on the site.)

Keeping analytics capture broad means I do not have a view into analytics specifically from actual registered users at this time.

Tozguy

As well, many join to get a part made or purchase something from the classifieds and are never heard from again.
That seems like valid behaviour to me. Several if not many of us participate in other (international) forums because technical metal working knowledge knows no borders. However our supply questions and buy local principles lead me to connect with other Canadians for sourcing materials and services on this side of the border nearest home.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That seems like valid behaviour to me.

I don't agree with that statement. A Web Forum's primary purpose is to share projects, ideas and experiences. On one forum I frequent, you have to make X number of participant posts before being give access to the classified/EE thread.
Before they instituted that requirement it was just a dumping ground for people to sell stuff and then disappear.

JMHO.

Last edited:

Tozguy

A Web Forum's primary purpose is to share projects, ideas and experiences. On one forum I frequent,

Just wondering if you repeat the same content on each forum you frequent.

As a Canadian I prefer to offer my surplus stuff for sale in Canada. I also prefer to buy from other Canadians. Is it not OK to use this forum for that?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just noticed an interesting forum feature. When browsing on my phone the signature line is only visible when the phone is in landscape mode. When in portrait mode the sig is skipped.
Oh thanks for that ive been struggling to figure that out as I am almost always on my phone and in portrait mode.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Hy John I make a new post last night about info for RPM on a lathe to work titanium shaft around 1 1/4 . I can't see the post ?