• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Acronyms

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And when someone typo-graphically exclaims "WTF" that means "well that's fantastic"
Most years, I try to be a gardener. I spend a couple days in the spring turning and doing soil prep, plant, then go to camp and come back in the fall to find only weeds. So WTF became " Where's the food?"

When I worked at the hospital, one of the techs wrote on a piece of equipment NFG. One of the nurses took offense to that so he explained it was "Not Functioning Generally". She was embarrassed. ;)

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In 1972, Fritz Weber, founder of Rego-Fix, created and patented the ER collet. The design is a modification of the previously popular E collet design, using the same taper, but simply adding the groove. ... The R in “ER collet” stands for Rego-Fix, representing the company's modification to the E collet design. Feb. 27, 2013

Soooo..... what does the E stand for?
I thought it was "Expanding". Not sure where I got that from.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Many years ago, when I was in grade school, prior to calculators, our math class was working on long division. Numerator over denominator. One not-very-swift kid just couldn’t get it. Those of us of a certain age can remember when teachers had no restraints.

Teacher screams “NUMERATOR OVER DENOMINATOR!” “NUMBSKULL OVER DAVID!” NOD. A good acronym lasts forever.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Many years ago, when I was in grade school, prior to calculators, our math class was working on long division. Numerator over denominator. One not-very-swift kid just couldn’t get it. Those of us of a certain age can remember when teachers had no restraints.

Teacher screams “NUMERATOR OVER DENOMINATOR!” “NUMBSKULL OVER DAVID!” NOD. A good acronym lasts forever.
I'm the same vintage. Both highschool and undergrad university predated calculators.

As I recall it, the teachers who had no restraints whatsoever back then (especially in Catholic Schools) meant numbnuts over denise.

trevj

Ultra Member
The important one in the shop.

SOHCAHTOA.

Some Old Hags, Can't Afford Husbands, Till Old Age

The basic functions of Trigonometry.

Sine, over Opposite and Hypotenuse. Cosine, over Adjacent and Hypotenuse, Tangent, over Opposite, and Adjacent.

Same with EIR, and PIE for electric calcs.
E= voltage
I=Current
R=Resistance
P= power in Watts
Draw them out, put your finger on the one you wish to find for, and the equation presents itself.

E
---------
I | R

To find E, I*R.
To find R, E/I
To find I, E/R

BBROYGBVGW
Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.
Or, Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Goes Willingly! (less PC these days)

Electric wire color codes.
Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White, IIRC!
Resistor rings too.