• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9" SM Utilathe Restoration

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sorry, 2" dia OD.

Ya, your wrench won't work, pin is too large for one thing.

Thanks anyways.

May have to make something up I guess. The nub on my bar tool broke off, trying to tighten it. Wish I could weld as good as you can.

Craig

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Ok. I’ve got a couple that would fit 2”. You can have the black one, It has a 1/4 x ¼ pin. The other one I made to fit my Southbend spindle protector nut.
BC602C19-44E0-4939-A8B5-7905AC42446D.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think I might be to the point now where the vibration is the same at 900 RPM as in neutral? Have to check again tomorrow, the wife shut me down for the night. Gee.... it's only 10pm LOL.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That sounds better. When you reinstalled the nut, there should be a brass slug in the setscrew hole to protect the spindle threads. If it fell out you will crush the threads with the setscrew and that won't be fun next time the nut has to be adjusted or removed.
Brent H - what machine are you parts sourcing from? The bearing list you show doesn't match up well with list in the SM9" manual.

Brent H

Ultra Member
That is for a SM10.

the 6203 would be $6 each x 3 and a 6203 2RS would be maybe a couple bucks more - then the Timkin bearing is around $50 if you don’t try for the über precision one. My lathe is running fine with a regular Timkin

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Ahha,,,, sailors,,,, you just can't trust them:Dlol. The uber precision for the SM"9 spindle is over $400 cdn and I saw it for $140 usd, the spindle tail bearing is about $30. I installed new 6203's when I was having the issues with my 9" and they were cheap and easy.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ahha,,,, sailors,,,, you just can't trust them:Dlol. The uber precision for the SM"9 spindle is over $400 cdn and I saw it for $140 usd, the spindle tail bearing is about $30. I installed new 6203's when I was having the issues with my 9" and they were cheap and easy.

What issues were you having?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Since the lathe uses only one conical bearing and the back end is supported by a deep race ball bearing I did not see the need to put some crazy expensive bearing in there. If the back bearing is out then it doesn’t matter much if that front sucker is $50 or $2000 - LOL.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was having a lot of gear noise in the headstock so when I had it apart investigating the noise I replaced the pulley shaft bearings and the idler shaft bearings. One bearing was iffy so it was worth doing at the time.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How's this for a more scientific approach for measuring the vibration?

SG900RPMN.JPG

How much does the water in a shot glass placed on top of the head stock jiggle.

Essentially nothing with the belt removed and I get the same result placing the shot glass on the mill running at 770 RPM.

With the belt installed and the spindle in neutral, it jiggles quite a bit and about the same amount when turning the spindle at 900 RPM.

On another note. How much run out should I be seeing or should I say is acceptable on the outside of the tail end of the spindle? I'm seeing 0.001 with a DI, but is that considered a trued surface?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Do you have a Morse taper sleeve you can insert into the headstock and take a reading off that? I will send pic - STBY

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's the front of the spindle, I'm talking the back of the spindle past the spindle nut.

I'm getting 0.003 off the chuck mounting plate. I'll throw a MT3 in the spindle and take a reading on that now.

Brent H

Ultra Member
For what it is worth, that back bearing was bad on my machine- changing it is not as big a deal as you might think. The arrangement is pretty similar. You could probably put a new bearing in in about an hour.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm seeing less that 0.001 on my cheap offshore MT3 center mounted in the spindle.

Bearings are an option. Just trying to establish the source of this vibration. Something I did notice when I was swapping pulleys was that the motor pulley has a couple of dings on the second largest and third largest sheaves which might affect the two most used belt positions.

Out of curiosity, I re-installed the original motor pulley we had replaced earlier to see how that behaved. Ya, that thing is pooched, it has a discernible wobble to it and the machine vibration went way up. It needs to be bored out and a bushing installed to restore it back to a usable state.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I just tried scientific test 2.0, there is just about nothing for water movement, no waves, no tsunami and no Jurassic park rings.
I don't have an MT3 center but my MT2 center in an MT3 adapter gets me just under .003. On the spindle I get not even the width of the line on the dial indicator.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just tried scientific test 2.0, there is just about nothing for water movement, no waves, no tsunami and no Jurassic park rings.
I don't have an MT3 center but my MT2 center in an MT3 adapter gets me just under .003. On the spindle I get not even the width of the line on the dial indicator.

Not a ripple at 900 RPM turning eh?

Despite the vibration, I'm still able to achieve a pretty decent finish for the most part.