• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3D Printers

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I cant offer anything useful (because I don't have a 3DP) other than to say I hear about this issue quite a bit in other forums where people are attempting to make things with a bit more dimensional precision. (And no, desk goblin figurines don't fall into this category HaHa). Some have found distortion can also vary in one dimension vs another, like a 1.000" CAD hole measure 0.990" on one axis and 1.010" on another axis. Maybe a better tester is print a hexagon or octagon shape & then you can caliper across adjacent flats in X, Y and Angle to get a sense of relative difference. Holes might be a bit more fussy to get the same ID comparison. I hear of similar issues with CNC routers & then they have some kind of X & Y correction factor in the software. The other thing I hear mentioned is 3DP plastic parts can stress relieve. So a hole feature in a symmetric part may not distort much, but put the same hole off on one side of a thicker / non-symetrical / transitioning part & it could.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I try for 0.001 on my desk goblins personally........

I'm just wondering if @Janger will ever machine out of metal ever again.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Dont forget that the bottom layer and top layer may not be the same diameter. This is due to the first layer's "squish" amount.

Many slicers (Including Prusa's Slic3r) have "elephant's foot compensation" to impact the first layer specifically, by reducing the extrusion volume for that first layer's permimeters.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
My test print in Petg shows about 0.9940 on the circle and 1.3995 on the square

Printing another

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
63f5e0aaa12e370beb7305e25e941021.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Thanks Kevin. Interesting. Why is your prusa 'clone' more accurate? Any thoughts on that?

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I did a second print, and left it in the bed to cool, even better results. Circle was either 1.001 to 1.005

Square was 1.385

The first square I peeled off steaming hot. I'm going to try a third