3D molds for metal casting

Johnwa

Ultra Member
No I haven’t. I do have a project where I will be printing out the two parts of a split pattern though.
Have you cast brass? I’ve only done aluminum.

Brian H

Super User
No I haven’t. I do have a project where I will be printing out the two parts of a split pattern though.
Have you cast brass? I’ve only done aluminum.

No I haven't. I'm just on the edge of the slippery slope. I'm currently working on a foundry, hence the reason I've just purchased the printer. From the research I've done, brass is particularly fussy with temperature. I will be discovering this in the near future.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I’ve managed to cast some brass ingots, in steel boxes, 2-3”x4”x3/4-1” and open air sand, the sand had a better result (solid without bubbles) but only because I had not pre heated my steel mould.

Brian H

Super User
Let me know when you do try it. I'm curious how it will work. I wonder if it will print differently than PLA

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I wonder if it will print differently than PLA

This is the part that held me up. I am under the impression it take a good chunk of tuning to get it working, but admittedly its' been awhile since that idea entered my mind, I may have just been worried about the same.

Brian H

Super User
This is the part that held me up. I am under the impression it take a good chunk of tuning to get it working, but admittedly its' been awhile since that idea entered my mind, I may have just been worried about the same.

I have temporarily given up with trying to print Nylon. I just can't seem to get it to stick to the bed at all.
I don't really want to buy another roll of something I won't be able to use. I have had nothing but success with PLA printing so I'm going to stick with that for now.

Due to the fact I have some technology challenges, If someone has used this product and would be willing to lend a hand with settings and such I would be more than happy to give it a whirl.