• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3D molds for metal casting

Johnwa

Ultra Member
No I haven’t. I do have a project where I will be printing out the two parts of a split pattern though.
Have you cast brass? I’ve only done aluminum.

Brian H

Super User
No I haven’t. I do have a project where I will be printing out the two parts of a split pattern though.
Have you cast brass? I’ve only done aluminum.

No I haven't. I'm just on the edge of the slippery slope. I'm currently working on a foundry, hence the reason I've just purchased the printer. From the research I've done, brass is particularly fussy with temperature. I will be discovering this in the near future.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I’ve managed to cast some brass ingots, in steel boxes, 2-3”x4”x3/4-1” and open air sand, the sand had a better result (solid without bubbles) but only because I had not pre heated my steel mould.

Brian H

Super User
Let me know when you do try it. I'm curious how it will work. I wonder if it will print differently than PLA

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I wonder if it will print differently than PLA

This is the part that held me up. I am under the impression it take a good chunk of tuning to get it working, but admittedly its' been awhile since that idea entered my mind, I may have just been worried about the same.

Brian H

Super User
This is the part that held me up. I am under the impression it take a good chunk of tuning to get it working, but admittedly its' been awhile since that idea entered my mind, I may have just been worried about the same.

I have temporarily given up with trying to print Nylon. I just can't seem to get it to stick to the bed at all.
I don't really want to buy another roll of something I won't be able to use. I have had nothing but success with PLA printing so I'm going to stick with that for now.

Due to the fact I have some technology challenges, If someone has used this product and would be willing to lend a hand with settings and such I would be more than happy to give it a whirl.