• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-ALL 3" Round brass stock source?

Canada Wide
Type
Metal

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking to buy some 3" round brass stock.
MSM is closed today so I don't know if they even carry it.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking to buy some 3" round brass stock.
MSM is closed today so I don't know if they even carry it.
Eeeks that will be expensive! Whatcha building? What ever it is will naturally be beautiful being made out of brass.

If you ever need 2" brass or even 3" copper, I like would be willing to sell some of my stock.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Eeeks that will be expensive! Whatcha building? What ever it is will naturally be beautiful being made out of brass.

If you ever need 2" brass or even 3" copper, I like would be willing to sell some of my stock.
I want to try scratch building a Wig-Wag engine a la Ade Swash.
The flywheel is 68mm
I'm also thinking that an aluminum flywheel with steel or brass inserts pressed into the rim could be an alternative.
Or just make the flywheel from steel.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I don't know if aluminium would work very well, flywheels by nature require mass/weight and alum that size doesn't have much.

Have you seen his miniature lathe?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't know if aluminium would work very well, flywheels by nature require mass/weight and alum that size doesn't have much.

Yes, it’s amazing.
What about aluminum with brass inserts around the rim for more mass?
Or just steel I suppose.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

If you found a price of brass pipe for the outside diameter where the weight really makes a difference then you could maybe get by with an aluminum core?

I also have a chunk of 57mm/2.250" solid brass round if need.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you found a price of brass pipe for the outside diameter where the weight really makes a difference then you could maybe get by with an aluminum core?

I also have a chunk of 57mm/2.250" solid brass round if need.
That’s an excellent idea, thanks!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Another alternative is
A little investing in some ceramic wool or castable refractory and you can pour your own brass or bronze bar stock,
oh yes, that’s crossed my mind six or seven times :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you have a picture of it Craig?

Attachments

• WigWag Oscillating Engine (updated 82019).pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I inherently dislike slugs. Doesn't take much to destroy the balance. A steel or cast iron ring cut from a big pipe would make more sense. But if worse comes to worse, you could buy some brass from Metal Supermarkets. I know they have 3" cuz I bought some a few years back to make a transmission sleeve for a tractor. I wasn't worried about cost though. The factory part was well over a grand.