• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

2x72 sander

Do you have a 2x72 sander?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Want one

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
When you said the VFD wouldn't ne very happy about it, I'm saying that the VFD input would still be wired correctly to single phase power. Then the 3 phase output could be divided to power a single phase motor.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
When you said the VFD wouldn't ne very happy about it, I'm saying that the VFD input would still be wired correctly to single phase power. Then the 3 phase output could be divided to power a single phase motor.

i believe the question is that because the 3 phase is artificially generated in a single to 3 phase vfd that the output stage may not be happy only using 2 of the 3 output phases

single to single vfd i would imagine has some different electronics internally

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah, that is why it isn't recommended to use it that way like I said the first time. The single to single phase VFD is different than the single to 3 phase VFD.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, that is why it isn't recommended to use it that way like I said the first time. The single to single phase VFD is different than the single to 3 phase VFD.

Sorry for confusing your information. I got it now.

It still seems like a bad thing to do, but I get the idea now. As @Dabbler says, I'd be interested in doing some simple tests. Not doing that with the VFD's I have though. Someday I'll get a cheapo VFD and try it. @Dabbler can hit the go switch.

Yes, a single phase to single phase VFD is the way to go. But I'd still rather use a 3phase motor.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Ah! not using a single phase VFD to a 3 phase VFD but only on one leg.... Rather using a 1ph to 11ph VFD designed for the purpose.... Now I get also!!!

Art M

I'm a little late to the party here, as usual.
If anyone is interested in a bolt together grinder with side tilt check out Saber opensource grinder project.
Guy (Canadian I believe) named Dan Comeau who is a knife maker posted plans. looks really nice.
Was very good of him to put the time into it to post online.
I'm thinking of building that one or a KMG clone as we have one at work to copy.
The KMG is simpler to build just some flat bar and a bunch of holes to drill, the one we have at work I use for just general shop stuff I actually quite like it. I think a belt grinder of any kind is an extremely useful tool for any home shop.
Art

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Art M are there any images or videos of a working Saber 2X72 grinder?

[update] I found one myself:

Last edited:

Art M

Link to cut files if you have access or a buddy with a water jet or laser table. I tried with a plasma table at work but the kerf from the plasma torch eats up too much. If someone way smarter than me knew how to modify the cut file you could cut it and drill the holes.
Art