• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2023 meetups

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For those of us in Calgary and area, my friend who owns Black Cat Metal has said he would be open to allowing us to meet at his shop during one of his open house nights. He generally hosts an open house every other Thursday night from 7pm to 9pm. Any thoughts???
Never knew it existed (but also outside my immediate hobby solar system). But I'd be down for that. If not a 'machining' meetup, then a tour for those just interested.

Crosche

Super User
Never knew it existed (but also outside my immediate hobby solar system). But I'd be down for that. If not a 'machining' meetup, then a tour for those just interested.

My thinking is that the shop has ample space for lots of attendants and individuals can choose whether they want to participate in open house activities or CHMW socializing or a bit of both. I would love to host the meeting myself at my shop, but I simply do not have room for more than 3 ~ 4 people at a time.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My thinking is that the shop has ample space for lots of attendants and individuals can choose whether they want to participate in open house activities or CHMW socializing or a bit of both. I would love to host the meeting myself at my shop, but I simply do not have room for more than 3 ~ 4 people at a time.

That's my problem right now too. We'd have to walk through the shop single file, and each machine only has enough space for one person to work comfortably around it. That space is often shared by multiple machines.

While I'd love host a get together, and meet others that share the same disor...interests, I just don't have the space right now.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
My place isn't huge, but probably big enough.....parking is normally easy as well

it's also finally getting on summer, nothing says everyone needs to be in the garage

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm in Ottawa, good sized backyard, only problem is no BBQ at home, just one at the cottage. I'm open to providing the space. Will report back if we decide to get a home BBQ.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, how many pp can Black cat Metal accommodate?

Most garages, including mine cannot handle more then say 6 or 8 pp. At least not more if we allocate some personal space to each person.

We could always meet at Tims like before - through I think that also has a limit of say 20?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
We should put up a poll by region to see how many people each region can realistically expect at a meetup, then the logistics can be sorted out

Crosche

Super User
Well, how many pp can Black cat Metal accommodate?

Most garages, including mine cannot handle more then say 6 or 8 pp. At least not more if we allocate some personal space to each person.

We could always meet at Tims like before - through I think that also has a limit of say 20?
It is an industrial bay, so at least 15 ~ 20 people I would guess.