• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Feature 2022 Updates

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well apparently Tapatalk is working for some folks.
View attachment 24656

Ya, on the Tapatalk support forum, I noticed that there is a mixed bag of folks who use Xenforo that are successfully using Tapatalk. The problem is that it doesn't look like Tapatalk is very interested in fixing all the bugs. Some bugs are over two years old with no reply from Tapatalk.

In their defense, it's a very difficult task for them. Each different forum software design introduces new complexity with each update that Tapatalk has to deal with. It's a constant cycle of broken and fix broken and fix. That said, it's their reason for existing so you would think they would stay on top of it. I sure as heck wouldn't want to work there! Then again, it sounds a lot like farming! LOL!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 & @architect

I am posting this using Tapatalk. It seems to work fine for me.

Most interesting is that the interface is literally identical to my mobile interface on Chrome.

In fact, it is so identical that it makes me think that Tapatalk just calls the mobile interface.

The only difference takes place before I load CHMW. Here I get a list of other forums (probably from when I signed up a decade ago because my account was still active.

I almost hate to say this, but my advice is to install the latest TapaTalk update. I know you have concerns, but sooner or later it's a necessary evil especially since Tapatalk has to be updated in order to keep pace with the client forums.

I'm gunna see if I can figure out a way to check and see what Tapatalk is doing to access CHMW.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Folks. Here are my thoughts!

Reminder: For bug reports, use the forum of the same name to ensure your report it is in a queue for (often faster) review!

@architect, I didn't mean to single you out below, but you had all the good quotes for me to reply to!

I use Firefox shown above and don't have Chrome on any of my systems due to privacy issues. I can't escape the Google ecosystem but try to avoid/not support if possible.
Yeah, the world of today is one of borg-like assimilation, on a per platform basis. Folks who avoid Google are likely to find themselves in the Apple or Microsoft ecosystems, each with their own issues.
(Don't believe the marketing, they're all self-serving and monetizing their customers, that's the result of being in business with shareholders.)

Assimilation is almost inevitable if we want to use today's technology. Just a matter of picking one's poison, has been my stance for a bit. (Super biased on this topic too, lol)

Also, this is the only forum out of 9 other forums on my Tapatalk that now throws errors and stopped working. Those other 9 forums, ranging from global to GTA (Toronto), still work without issue.
I have the exact same issue and only on this forum.
Yeah, I sort of feel like Tapatalk is to forums what Yelp or SkipTheDishes is to restaurants: Good for end-user convenience, but a bit predatory / at the expense of the industry they are meant to support.

Here are the moving parts as I see it:
Tapatalk sticks ads into their platform, and offers premium service levels to members to remove those ads; This stands at odds with the fact that our forum doesn't actually have ads. (This urks me. haha)
Tapatalk takes extra effort for us to keep alive and bug-free, that has been consistent for this forum since the beginning.
Tapatalk expects forum owners to be okay with this extra work, because forum owners are given a percentage of Tapatalk's ad revenue; If we wanted ad revenue... we would put ads on the forum directly and not lose a large chunk to Tapatalk..

So, on my end, it feels like.. extra work, to help a platform we are otherwise not connected with to monetize our members, without reimbursing us for our work, charging our members to benefit from their own community and the content their own community has created, and all to keep Tapatalk's revenue flowing to them, and through ads, of all things.

Not saying this is make-or-break, but that's how I feel, and I've always felt sort of salty about it, which reflects in my lack of care to support Tapatalk further.

Anyway, my point is that mobile phones have come a long way and Tapatalk is no longer needed. I used to use it all the time but I don't miss it at all anymore.
Yep, I'm with you here. We do sacrifice some convenience for members who frequent multiple forums and leverage Tapatalk to do so, but similar to how aptly @architect put it about not having chrome for privacy reasons, I struggle to support business-models like Tapatalk, Yelp, and skipthedishes; organizations who's only contributions are convenience, and at the expense of the industries, of the users of the industries, that they claim to support.

Just my two cents.

I will take a look at the forum's Tapatalk integration again in the coming days, but it's sort of a pain in the rear, and I do so begrudgingly. haha.

Thanks folks!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks @Jwest7788 the only thing that really puzzles me is that it works for some folks (see my earlier post) but not all.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks @Jwest7788 the only thing that really puzzles me is that it works for some folks (see my earlier post) but not all.
Yeah, This is a common theme with website issues, not just this forum, but across many that I have a hand in managing. Many issues are only a subset of users, different devices, browser, versions, operating systems and their versions. It's a gong-show and mixed bag.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, This is a common theme with website issues, not just this forum, but across many that I have a hand in managing. Many issues are only a subset of users, different devices, browser, versions, operating systems and their versions. It's a gong-show and mixed bag.

Know this if nothing else Josh (@Jwest7788) .......

The things you do and the choices you make are all appreciated very very very much. It doesn't matter if we agree. I personally love this forum - flaws and all. I think I speak for many here.

Thank you.

architect

Super User
I'm totally good if you find Tapatalk not aligned with the values here or for any reason you see fit, @Jwest7788. I'm just sharing my personal usage experience not having the forum via an app, and unfortunately it means not being as constantly active. I'm still using Tapatalk version 5.XXX and which is the last series without ads. I found an old apk to revert back to. If this was the only forum I browsed I still very much prefer an app experience with notifications and the full blown thing.

In the end, I still use Google search, email, etc. None of us are escaping much of it and we all decide the convenience vs our privacy concerns. Using Firefox vs Chrome to me wasn't drastic enough to care, but I'm sure there are folks who much prefer Chrome and decide to stick with it despite all their "flaws", and that's just fine. My partner takes it to next level and only searches using DuckDuckGo but their results just aren't as good for me to abandon Google :p

I wasn't aware why I was getting the Tapatalk errors and if it was just me or more people with a bug. I didn't know the forum just wasn't interested in working with Tapatalk so thanks for shedding some light on this issue. But if it's just a matter of "fixing a bug" then I would greatly appreciate a fix :)

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm still using Tapatalk version 5.XXX and which is the last series without ads. I found an old apk to revert back to.
This one fact may make resolving this issue exceptionally difficult, and also would explain why other users aren't experiencing any issues... even though it is just this forum you're having issues with. Using unsupported software is very difficult to debug for, as we risk breaking functionality for the majority of users...

No promises, but I'll take a look!

architect

Super User
This one fact may make resolving this issue exceptionally difficult, and also would explain why other users aren't experiencing any issues... even though it is just this forum you're having issues with. Using unsupported software is very difficult to debug for, as we risk breaking functionality for the majority of users...

No promises, but I'll take a look!
I've tried several versions of Taptalk 6xx, 7xx, and 8xx to see if it made a difference and it doesn't. I should have mentioned this out the gate. I appreciate the effort and totally understand if it's not worth fixing for just a handful of users.

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Is it me or does this site just suddenly have ads? I have checked in multiple browsers. Not sure if it's just maybe me and I have a virus now :O

1657752916984.png

1657753002212.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Has ads. See thread

We're Going to Try Some Banner Ads for Guest (Not Logged In) Users​

regarding this.