• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New Feature 2022 Updates

gerritv

Gerrit
Plan B: https://xenforo.com/features/app/ except if you have an iPhone, then you are sol. Not on the Playstore, and not shown anywhere on this forum so can't actually try it out. Perhaps a free feature that can be turned on?
For me, I use my phone as a email reader, watch, camera and cellphone in that order. I can't understand ppl trying to do something useful on them, the experiecne is such a tiny window.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Sorry I was unclear in my post.
The problem I have is that when I’m using my phone and want to add a photo,the photo is placed at the very top of the post because the cursor position is lost when I have to tap the add image icon. So if I want to add text before the photo I have to try and insert my cursor to the left of the photo and hit enter to move the photo down. It’s a bunch of extra steps that don’t exist with Tapatalk.
True. I “usually” just throw the pictures up and explain top to bottom what they represent. It’s too much work to have a picture, with text explaining said picture, then more text, explaining the next picture and so on

I can usually get the gist of most posts this way, but can understand how some members making a blow by blow of procedures would prefer it otherwise, more so for documenting purposes I believe

But, for the most part, the forum is easy to navigate so I never lodge any complaints (maybe one here and there), but most people’s posts are easy to read

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry I was unclear in my post.
The problem I have is that when I’m using my phone and want to add a photo,the photo is placed at the very top of the post because the cursor position is lost when I have to tap the add image icon. So if I want to add text before the photo I have to try and insert my cursor to the left of the photo and hit enter to move the photo down. It’s a bunch of extra steps that don’t exist with Tapatalk.

I don't have this problem either. Or perhaps I should say that I don't have it anymore.

My cursor position is not lost when I hit the "attach files" icon. I don't even have an "add image" icon.

I'm guessing you have an i-phone. I have an Android. I never learned to like apple anything.... (Insert image here of big ugly hairy guy diving for cover).

For me, the whole mobile experience is simply seamless and enjoyable.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For me, I use my phone as a email reader, watch, camera and cellphone in that order. I can't understand ppl trying to do something useful on them, the experiecne is such a tiny window.

My window is actually quite huge.

For my part, I can't understand why anyone would want to go visit a computer in its computer room on a desk someplace. It's infinitely better to take my "smart" phone with me wherever I go. My phone can access my file servers, edit documents, take and share photos, add this post sitting in a lazy boy chair while my bride does needlepoint beside me, and do almost everything a computer can do.

Yes, there are a few things it can't do (yet) - Fusion 360, Flight Simulator 2020, but.....

Anyway, my point is that mobile phones have come a long way and Tapatalk is no longer needed. I used to use it all the time but I don't miss it at all anymore.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I noticed on the last PC update the volume button disappeared and placed it in that app folder ^ but you can drag it back in position I think they did it for the ads that blast you out. I know playing solitaire the volume button is used as a pause for the ads.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

For my part, I can't understand why anyone would want to go visit a computer in its computer room on a desk someplace. It's infinitely better to take my "smart" phone with me wherever I go. My phone can access my file servers, edit documents, take and share photos, add this post sitting in a lazy boy chair while my bride does needlepoint beside me, and do almost everything a computer can do.

Yes, there are a few things it can't do (yet) - Fusion 360, Flight Simulator 2020, but.....

Anyway, my point is that mobile phones have come a long way and Tapatalk is no longer needed. I used to use it all the time but I don't miss it at all anymore.
That’s why laptops were invented :D

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Unfortunately it can be confusing if some descriptive text is not with the picture.
It makes following instructions difficult.
Note:
Read through the instructions as if you are talking to a brand new employee.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Unfortunately it can be confusing if some descriptive text is not with the picture.
It makes following instructions difficult.
Note:
Read through the instructions as if you are talking to a brand new employee.

This is sooooo funny Len.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I think we need a picture!

Sorry, I'm totally serious here but giggling like a school girl at the irony.

Did you do this on purpose? If so, it's total genius! If not it's funny as heck anyhow!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Jeeez, i thought you would have Susquatch sized pockets to put stuff in.:)

Actually I do! But a laptop wouldn't last 10 minutes running through the forest!

Seriously though, I do have an old Asus Ultra book with one of the first solid state drives. It might actually fit. But it has to have WiFi to connect to the internet and that doesn't exist (yet) out in the fields. I suppose I could use a hotspot from my phone though......

architect

Super User

I have the whole gamut of devices in my house from power desktops, laptops, tablet, to smartphone. I absolutely prefer to to use my desktops and laptops over the smartphone and I absolutely prefer Tapatalk over the browser. I have a triple screen setup on a custom built desktop in an ergonomic chair and sit-stand motored desk. I will hang out on the couch once in awhile with my laptop in front of the TV but I gravitate back to my desktop because it's actually more comfortable to be there than my couch. I have a laptop setup in my garage and will 100% use that over looking at my smartphone, especially if I'm looking up information or viewing photos. I also have my own home server setup where my photos on my phone will automatically sync to the server and propagate to all other devices when turned on. The smartphone is never the ideal device for me to use and I am 10000% quicker on my desktop/laptop than on my smartphone.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it is nice to be sync’d to everything but I just got the notice from “ Google “
” The cloud is full send money “
I'm not quite sure what all they have up there but probably everything and a lot I don’t need.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have the whole gamut of devices in my house from power desktops, laptops, tablet, to smartphone. I absolutely prefer to to use my desktops and laptops over the smartphone and I absolutely prefer Tapatalk over the browser. I have a triple screen setup on a custom built desktop in an ergonomic chair and sit-stand motored desk. I will hang out on the couch once in awhile with my laptop in front of the TV but I gravitate back to my desktop because it's actually more comfortable to be there than my couch. I have a laptop setup in my garage and will 100% use that over looking at my smartphone, especially if I'm looking up information or viewing photos. I also have my own home server setup where my photos on my phone will automatically sync to the server and propagate to all other devices when turned on. The smartphone is never the ideal device for me to use and I am 10000% quicker on my desktop/laptop than on my smartphone.
Now get yourself a ‘gaming chair’ and you are set to spend a few hours with all of us !!
I also prefer the desktop for viewing photos and documents.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I think your way is the most common. It's not my way but I've always been a bit unconventional. Cutting through the superlatives and absolutes, there is a place for everything and we are all different. If not, there would only be one "computer" device and no selection.

I too have a house and shop full of technology. A pretty much state of the art high powered desktop I use almost exclusively for flight simulation, a big huge system that sits in a cabinet with SSDs and multi TB hard drives that I use for most other desktop only applications. And ya, I have 3 laptops of various types from gaming to ultra portable (like you, one is in the shop), 3 tablets of various sizes (one in the tractor cab), and of course my smart phone which is almost a small tablet/notebook on the mobile network. I also have 3 file servers that are mostly for backup but also do photo and video streaming that I can access from home or anywhere in the world with internet access. My home and shop are both filled with smart devices from cameras to security to house keeping (I especially love Molly our Robotic Vacuum) and everything in between. I might be mid 70s but I have always been a geek and I'll prolly die one too.

But the truth is that my number one goto device is my phone. It just kinda snuck up on me one year when I realized I used it more than anything else. It is far more than just a phone. It fits in my pocket and goes where ever I go. I never need to look for it cuz it's always with me. It will even clip to a bathing suit and survive an impromptu swim. That is not to say I don't use any of my many other devices. But I do have to admit that I probably won't replace most of them when they reach the end of their life. Well perhaps all except my gaming desktop and the file servers. But never say never. VR headsets are evolving quickly and the whole world is trending toward subscription based web applications hosted remotely. In the meantime, I really really really like the convenience and power of my take it with me everywhere smart phone. This from a fellow who used to laugh at Tablets as underpowered wanna be laptops.

I do have one question. If you always use a computer, why do you need Tapatalk? Tapatalk's stated purpose in life is to organize all your forums in such a way as to make them more usable and friendly on Mobile phones. But beyond this, the majority of forums are going away from Tapatalk because of security concerns. And the advent of smart phones has brought us native mobile device access for most forum system software (including our own XenForo). I stopped using TapaTalk back when Google first discontinued it two or three years ago. So maybe Tapatalk has evolved in some way since then which I don't know about. When I last looked, using Tapatalk on a pc required an android emulator - please tell me you are not using that! Help me see what I am missing.......

architect

Super User
I think your way is the most common. It's not my way but I've always been a bit unconventional. Cutting through the superlatives and absolutes, there is a place for everything and we are all different. If not, there would only be one "computer" device and no selection.

I too have a house and shop full of technology. A pretty much state of the art high powered desktop I use almost exclusively for flight simulation, a big huge system that sits in a cabinet with SSDs and multi TB hard drives that I use for most other desktop only applications. And ya, I have 3 laptops of various types from gaming to ultra portable (like you, one is in the shop), 3 tablets of various sizes (one in the tractor cab), and of course my smart phone which is almost a small tablet/notebook on the mobile network. I also have 3 file servers that are mostly for backup but also do photo and video streaming that I can access from home or anywhere in the world with internet access. My home and shop are both filled with smart devices from cameras to security to house keeping (I especially love Molly our Robotic Vacuum) and everything in between. I might be mid 70s but I have always been a geek and I'll prolly die one too.

But the truth is that my number one goto device is my phone. It just kinda snuck up on me one year when I realized I used it more than anything else. It is far more than just a phone. It fits in my pocket and goes where ever I go. I never need to look for it cuz it's always with me. It will even clip to a bathing suit and survive an impromptu swim. That is not to say I don't use any of my many other devices. But I do have to admit that I probably won't replace most of them when they reach the end of their life. Well perhaps all except my gaming desktop and the file servers. But never say never. VR headsets are evolving quickly and the whole world is trending toward subscription based web applications hosted remotely. In the meantime, I really really really like the convenience and power of my take it with me everywhere smart phone. This from a fellow who used to laugh at Tablets as underpowered wanna be laptops.

I do have one question. If you always use a computer, why do you need Tapatalk? Tapatalk's stated purpose in life is to organize all your forums in such a way as to make them more usable and friendly on Mobile phones. But beyond this, the majority of forums are going away from Tapatalk because of security concerns. And the advent of smart phones has brought us native mobile device access for most forum system software (including our own XenForo). I stopped using TapaTalk back when Google first discontinued it two or three years ago. So maybe Tapatalk has evolved in some way since then which I don't know about. When I last looked, using Tapatalk on a pc required an android emulator - please tell me you are not using that! Help me see what I am missing.......

I am not always home. I do not look at this forum much while on the go anymore without Taptalk. I now basically look the forum only when at home and on computers. And like I mentioned, I 100% prefer Taptalk interface over the mobile browser experience, regardless of the multi forum support. Similarly, I prefer the Amazon app over mobile browser, Reddit app over mobile browser, Faecbook app vs mobile browser, Ebay app over mobile browser, Kijiji app over mobile browser, etc etc etc and the list goes. I don't NEED these apps, but I 1000% prefer to use the apps over the mobile browser experience. The app experiences are always designed way better. I basically only use the browser to google something on the fly.

The bottom line is we all use devices and organize our lives differently, and there's no point trying to say one is better than other. I can't watch TV/movies on the smartphone as it not a good experience and ruins the film/show. But all the power to those who I see watch shows/movies while commuting on the bus/subway/train/plane.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @architect, at the risk of flogging a dead horse here, I'd like to add another thought that jumped into my head as I read your last post.

I too prefer the Amazon app, the ebay app, the Kijiji app, the weather network app, etc etc etc over the web access. It's a no-brainer. You don't need to convince me of that one!

But there are a few websites (including our forum), that have built in phone interfaces that act just like an app. And therefore there is no app. If you access our forum using the desktop interface on your phone, it is nothing less than HORRIBLE. However, if you let Chrome identify itself as a mobile browser, our forum software recognizes that and creates an app-like interface. Unlike our forum, Amazon, EBay, KIJIJI, Facebook, the weather net etc etc DO NOT DO THAT. Instead they use a special app.

Here is a screenshot of how our forum looks on my phone. Very clearly, it's an app like experience.

Screenshot_20220625-221258_Chrome.jpg

That's just one screen. There are many different ones that are all context sensitive.

If your phone doesn't do what my screenshot shows, then you need to fix its settings. It might pleasantly surprise you!

The other thing I need to emphasize here is that I'm not trying to get you to dump Tapatalk or even arguing about how good it is or isn't. What I am trying to do is to help you see ways that you might be able to live without Tapatalk because I'm 90% sure that it is going away. I do hope I'm wrong about that because I liked it too. And while I don't need it for our own forum, I sure as heck prefer it on other forums!

I guess it's fair to say that I'm also defending my rather extensive use of a smart phone. But I'm certainly not trying to get you (or anyone else) to use your phone as much as I do.

Last but not least, I feel like an apology is in order. I am sorry if I am coming across as pushy or arbitrary. That isn't my intent.

Okay, so that's it. Unless you have questions, I've said everything I feel a need to say.

architect

Super User
Hey @architect, at the risk of flogging a dead horse here, I'd like to add another thought that jumped into my head as I read your last post.

I too prefer the Amazon app, the ebay app, the Kijiji app, the weather network app, etc etc etc over the web access. It's a no-brainer. You don't need to convince me of that one!

But there are a few websites (including our forum), that have built in phone interfaces that act just like an app. And therefore there is no app. If you access our forum using the desktop interface on your phone, it is nothing less than HORRIBLE. However, if you let Chrome identify itself as a mobile browser, our forum software recognizes that and creates an app-like interface. Unlike our forum, Amazon, EBay, KIJIJI, Facebook, the weather net etc etc DO NOT DO THAT. Instead they use a special app.

Here is a screenshot of how our forum looks on my phone. Very clearly, it's an app like experience.

View attachment 24654

That's just one screen. There are many different ones that are all context sensitive.

If your phone doesn't do what my screenshot shows, then you need to fix its settings. It might pleasantly surprise you!

The other thing I need to emphasize here is that I'm not trying to get you to dump Tapatalk or even arguing about how good it is or isn't. What I am trying to do is to help you see ways that you might be able to live without Tapatalk because I'm 90% sure that it is going away. I do hope I'm wrong about that because I liked it too. And while I don't need it for our own forum, I sure as heck prefer it on other forums!

I guess it's fair to say that I'm also defending my rather extensive use of a smart phone. But I'm certainly not trying to get you (or anyone else) to use your phone as much as I do.

Last but not least, I feel like an apology is in order. I am sorry if I am coming across as pushy or arbitrary. That isn't my intent.

Okay, so that's it. Unless you have questions, I've said everything I feel a need to say.

You will see that all major websites like Amazon or Kijiji will have have a mobile friendly site via the mobile browser like your screenshot. There are no companies today that survives without a mobile ready website. But just like Amazon or Kijiji, it's not comparable even though they look good via browser, just like this forum. It's not an app, period :)

Screenshot_20220626-000235.png

I use Firefox shown above and don't have Chrome on any of my systems due to privacy issues. I can't escape the Google ecosystem but try to avoid/not support if possible.

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Also, this is the only forum out of 9 other forums on my Tapatalk that now throws errors and stopped working. Those other 9 forums, ranging from global to GTA (Toronto), still work without issue.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Also, this is the only forum out of 9 other forums on my Tapatalk that now throws errors and stopped working. Those other 9 forums, ranging from global to GTA (Toronto), still work without issue.

I wish there was a better answer for you, but that's all I have @architect. Who knows, maybe Tapatalk will get fixed for you in a future release.

I confess that I share your concerns about Chrome. (And damn near every app out there!) It is especially interesting because security concerns are also the very reason that some forum software outfits are dropping Tapatalk support. It suggests that they think Google has some special status as a trusted crook...... LOL! It's all quite ironic!