• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Feature 2022 Updates

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hello Everyone,

I hope all is well with each of you.

Our Admins had a great meeting last week! It ran much longer than usual and as a result, we did manage to make a healthy number of decisions, most of which have been implemented now.

Here's the change log:

1) The Learning Library has been created and added to the "General Metalworking and Machining" section of the form. Click Here to Check Out the Sections of the Learning Library
- Click Here to see the "How to Contribute" guide
- The "Project Plans" section has been moved to the Learning Library

2) Added to the "General Metalworking and Machining" Section:
- A "Fixes and Repairs" section
- A "Shop and Shop Tools" section
- The "Learning Library", of course

3) Under the "Site Story, Notes, Rules, General Threads" section:
- A "Suggest a New Feature" section, which uses a special content type specifically to manage new feature ideas. (Allows for member voting on features, etc.)
- The "New Forum Features" section has been merged into the "Announcements" section. This thread is the first test of this functionality.

4) Added "Thread Prefixes" to key sections of the forum.
- In some sections these are now mandatory when posting new content, to help with organization.
- This thread has the "New Feature" prefix, in grey, as an example of the functionality.

5) We've updated the Terms and Rules of the website slightly. Essentially the exact same as before, but with some extra provisions related to the Learning Library.
- Review the Terms and Rules of the forum by clicking here

As always, we invite feedback and criticism!

~Josh

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Thanks Josh & Admin,
It is good to know that there is a 20,000 foot view that is being monitored.
Organizational structure allows all members to access information quickly.
Guiding ‘Posts’ to a well structured resource library allows quick sourcing of relative information for a growing membership.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Any chance in making the site compatible with Tapatalk again :)

Not likely going to happen @architect .

Tapatalk was originally intended to allow users to view a forum that is designed for a PC to be used on a phone. With the advent of newer smarter phones, the need for that functionality is going away.

The admins are slaves (maybe not the best choice of word) to whatever the forum software (XenForo) allows.

My advice is to learn to live without Tapatalk. It's a dying niche. It's sorta like asking to bring back windows 3.1 functionality.

If you have an intense need, you could appeal to the authors of Tapatalk to bring in an update compatable with XenForo - not the other way around.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Everything ran on dos with 3.1 didn't it, 3.1 was just window dressing

I definitely played a lot of sim city on those old mac classics...when schools were still a toss up between mac and pc

architect

Super User
480px-Maxis_logo.svg.png
LucasArts_GoldGuy_logo_purple.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I miss Windows 3.1 and all the old DOS games just like I'll miss Tapatalk :(

Actually, I miss those days too......... Especially DOS. Those were the pre-bloatware days...... When coders wrote complete programs instead of collections of subroutines written by others. I am as guilty of doing that as anyone else but I really miss the raw power, speed, and efficiency of the old way.

Anyway, I am here again to post a few corrections to my earlier note about Tapatalk. I had some time to check on it. Apparently it is not discontinued (yet anyway) they do have new updates for the latest forums. But that is not to say it isn't without ongoing problems. Tapatalk was discontinued by Google play store for a period of time due to security issues. While Google has reinstated it, many forums have continued to disable its access to their systems. Many more have said they will not be allowing it. I guess I just don't know if it will live or die.

I used to use it a lot. But I don't miss it anymore. My smartphone and the version of Chrome that it runs works just fine on the mobile interface that forums like ZenForo offer. In many ways, the Mobile interface is actually superior to, what Tapatalk offered. My mobile works so well on ZenForo that I don't even bother trying to use a desktop.

If you have a recent model Smartphone, try it with Chrome on our forum. You might be surprised.....

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I’m worried about all of you. Although, to be fair, I have DOS 3.3 on 720k floppies for a Toshiba T3200 that runs part of my music synthesis gear.

Oh man I don't miss dos, 3.1, 95 and it's blue screen of death, the only legacy os I remember working very well was XP, I was joking around about the 3.1 comment for sure

architect

Super User
Actually, I miss those days too......... Especially DOS. Those were the pre-bloatware days...... When coders wrote complete programs instead of collections of subroutines written by others. I am as guilty of doing that as anyone else but I really miss the raw power, speed, and efficiency of the old way.

Anyway, I am here again to post a few corrections to my earlier note about Tapatalk. I had some time to check on it. Apparently it is not discontinued (yet anyway) they do have new updates for the latest forums. But that is not to say it isn't without ongoing problems. Tapatalk was discontinued by Google play store for a period of time due to security issues. While Google has reinstated it, many forums have continued to disable its access to their systems. Many more have said they will not be allowing it. I guess I just don't know if it will live or die.

I used to use it a lot. But I don't miss it anymore. My smartphone and the version of Chrome that it runs works just fine on the mobile interface that forums like ZenForo offer. In many ways, the Mobile interface is actually superior to, what Tapatalk offered. My mobile works so well on ZenForo that I don't even bother trying to use a desktop.

If you have a recent model Smartphone, try it with Chrome on our forum. You might be surprised.....
I still prefer the app interface and makes it easier to view different forums quickly. Some of those forumn still works fine with Tapatalk so it sucks to see this one drop out, which makes me less engaged here. It is what it is.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I still prefer the app interface and makes it easier to view different forums quickly. Some of those forumn still works fine with Tapatalk so it sucks to see this one drop out, which makes me less engaged here. It is what it is.
I agree, the web interface on a mobile device is awful if you want to add photos to a post.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I agree, the web interface on a mobile device is awful if you want to add photos to a post.

Huh? Mine is easy. I just check all the ones I want and add multiple. It works great. Videos, not so great.

Drag N drop on a pc might be even better, but all my photos are on my phone......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Huh? Mine is easy. I just check all the ones I want and add multiple. It works great. Videos, not so great.

Drag N drop on a pc might be even better, but all my photos are on my phone......
Sorry I was unclear in my post.
The problem I have is that when I’m using my phone and want to add a photo,the photo is placed at the very top of the post because the cursor position is lost when I have to tap the add image icon. So if I want to add text before the photo I have to try and insert my cursor to the left of the photo and hit enter to move the photo down. It’s a bunch of extra steps that don’t exist with Tapatalk.