• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2 HP motor and VFD for 2x72

While I'm thinking away at this, being completely dyslexic, are there wiring instructions that come with these things? I'd hate to get it, mess up the wiring and poof/boom! Anyone wire theirs and how was it?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
wiring - easy. With the Teco 510, only a couple of parameters are mandatory, and very explicit and easy instructions are included. I optionally changed about 3 parameters because I could. You can 'go down the rabbit hole' if you want, but you don't have to.

Update:
Wayne got back to me with a $ for his motor and VFD w/ addition of on/off and fws/rev switches.

Motor: http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/Motors.html
VFD: http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/VFDs.html

Prices for the 2hp motor and 27d VFD are as is on his site. The kicker is shipping is $42.22!!!!!! WOW, that's cheap shipping!!!!!!! And
that's included in the $987.01 price ($1217 ish CDN)

That's not a bad price from what I'm seeing so far. It's the shipping from within Canada that is the real savings.
Waiting to hear from Reeder on what I listed to get from them, less the motor.

Can't argue the price on the Chinese ones and they may be just fine. BUT, Bert's Law being what it is, I'd rather not take the chance on getting "the one" and have to go through returns, etc. I don't mind spending a bit more to improve my odds of having one i don't have to worry about.
Which Chinese VFD are you looking at?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Johnwa I have the same vfd in my current cnc lathe. In my opinion you want something bigger.

Alexander, what issues do you have with it? What size of motor does your lathe have?
The original manual for my lathe indicates a 3/4hp was standard. At 120v my ¾ won’t get it going on the highest speed before the 15 A breaker trips. It might work on 240v. It had a 1 1/2hp running on 480V when I bought it. That motor can be connected at 240. I also have a 1hp 3 phase motor that I could use instead.

I bit the bullet and ordered from Reeder. I hadn't realized their RPS101 basic package didn't come with wheels to start with. (Their site is in bad need of reworking) And I'm happy to say, for us 'Nucks that they ship USPS as well! I ordered their RPS 101, hollow/flat grind fixture(just couldn't resist), index handles, a couple extra tooling arms, and an extra contact wheel shaft. Just over $1500 cdn including shipping. Be 3 weeks processing as they are really busy. Not surprised, looks to be one of the best deals on the market. I'll keep you posted once it arrives.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to hear your comments when you're up & running. So, was your particular package inclusive of their motor/VFD or you are going to source separately?

I'm looking forward to hear your comments when you're up & running. So, was your particular package inclusive of their motor/VFD or you are going to source separately?

No, this was their basic RPS101 package. I decided to go with motor and KBAC VFD from Wayne Coe. He has a person up here, presumably warehousing motors and vfd's for him. This saved me lots, avoiding cross boarder shipping, brokerage fees, and tax. I liked his cast alum. motor better anyway, not that Reeders was bad, however.

Motor and VFD arrived from Wayne Coe in good shape. Still waiting on the wiring kit from him. Hopefully this week. At brief glance, the KBAC manual seems quite good. Perhaps I'll be able to figure it out myself....... o_O:rolleyes: