• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

2 HP motor and VFD for 2x72

Hello. Looking to get my 2x72 built. Got all the wheels etc. from us knifemaker, but need a body and motor and VFD. was going to build the body, as it's not that complicated, but as always it's a time thing. Had the rest of the parts for 2 years now and have been cursing every time I use my old 6x48. I just discovered the Reeder RPS grinder. It's a hellava piece of kit for the price. And already built unlike some others I've looked at like the GIB (Grinder in a Box). I can get a motor through them too, but with the grinder body and some extras and the motor and VFD, shipping is north of $400 U.S. then they'll be broker/duty tax raping on top of that.
So I'm wondering if any one knows of a good place this side of the boarder to order one. I googled, but didn't find much myself.
Also, anyone with one have it wired up to a 220v, 50 amp welder plug? I've got 4 of these in the shop so figured why not plug into those instead of having to wire in a 30 amp socket or tandem 110v sockets.
Thanks Folks!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd like to see pics of your build when the time comes. A 2x72 is on my one day wish list too. I'm not a knife maker but some of the fixtures look very useful for general work.

There are better qualified electric guys on the forum than me, but this is one link I saved from a similar discussion. Unfortunately USA based again, but sometimes there are ways if reducing the $ pain depending on the item & how fast you want it. http://dealerselectric.com/

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I looked for months and then spent $300CDN on just the 2HP VFD part. $400USD is not out of line.

Thanks Dabbler and Peter. I'll be sure to try and get pics once done. Thanks for the link Dabbler. I'll go through their selection.
I heard back from Greg at Reeder. Got a quote for a package deal from him. It includes the base grinder, some extra accessories, and the motor and vfd. If I reverse calculate the base grinder package and extras using his web store prices and subtract from the total, the cost is roughly $870 u.s.d. for the VFD and the 2 hp Leeson motor. But he estimates about $400 u.s.d for shipping of the whole package, then duty, tax, brokerage on top of it all. Oi!
Dabbler, where'd you get the VFD for $300? That sounds very cheap compared to the KBAC ones I've looked at.
I will hit my local electric guy to see what he's got. Just figured I'd check online to compare prices and see what's available. Another guy in the States that sells them is Wayne Coe. Gonna check with him too.
Thanks for the help so far. Keep it coming! :)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Bert,

Here is the one i got for my milling machine: http://www.factorymation.com/FM50-202-C. Presently listed at USD 167.00. Unit is made in Taiwan. 2 hp version. I also bought the little brother (1/3 hp) FM50-2P5-OC. They show a 3 hp version for USD 196.00. Both units have seen regular use for 2+ years. Absolutely no issues with them.

I would use the 240V from one of your welding plugs to power the grinder through the VFD. The VFD does all the motor protecting you need.

My 2c...

Cheers, Rudy

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Guess I should have looked harder at the price <gulp>

Attachments

• SNAG-9-18-2017 0000.jpg
    SNAG-9-18-2017 0000.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 7
Bert, you mentioned already having a kit so this is this may not be relevant. Every time I meet a knife maker I ask him what his belt sander weapon of choice is. More than a few have mentioned a TW90. Even a few semi-pros that maybe have a bit more tooling capital $$. I haven't delved too deep into this particular model myself, but its on my list.
http://www.traviswuertz.com/
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/303218987383772426/

Yep, that is a beauty! But Cha-Ching! Also, I have all the wheels, etc already. Reeder's RSP101 is the base grinder body plus includes two tool arms, the flat platten, hinged base so it can grinder vertical and horizontal, great tracking system and all build out of thick aluminum. AND all for $495 u.s.d Which, given my extensive search is the best bang for the buck by a longshot.
Just discovered Wayne Coe has a supplier he apparently works with up here so it saves on shipping and no duty or brokerage! Whoot! I've got an email to him to see if that supplier has VFD's too. I'll post here what he says.
(MODS: I hope all the specific buisness naming and price info is OK. If not please let me know and edit this post as you see fit!!!)

Hi Bert,

Here is the one i got for my milling machine: http://www.factorymation.com/FM50-202-C. Presently listed at USD 167.00. Unit is made in Taiwan. 2 hp version. I also bought the little brother (1/3 hp) FM50-2P5-OC. They show a 3 hp version for USD 196.00. Both units have seen regular use for 2+ years. Absolutely no issues with them.

I would use the 240V from one of your welding plugs to power the grinder through the VFD. The VFD does all the motor protecting you need.

My 2c...

Cheers, Rudy

Thanks Rudy! That looks good to. Hadn't looked at Teco but do see them on quite a few grinder builds. Glad to have first hand feed back from years of use. Thanks!!!!
Yeah, want to use the welder plug. I've got a jumbo Cabtire cable as and extension cord for my welder so it would be great for the grinder to if I need to move it around the shop or outside. :)

Guess I should have looked harder at the price <gulp>

And that's U.S.D.!!! Ha ha ha! Too bad the dollar aint at par anymore! I'm sure it's worth it's price.

I like the two tool arm socket designs better, myself, as well. One just seems like bad design. Wouldn't want my grinder table attached to the tool arm, or other accessories for that matter. Have a separate tool arm for each. Better economy of motion/ work flow went you don't have to fiddle with bolting/unbolting stuff.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
This sure is a hot topic today! I got a Westinghouse TECO 2HP VFD from Dealers Electric. I paid 171USD for it, and 20USD shipping. However with a steel box and the rest of the wiring (nothing fancy at all), the motor was turning for 300CAD.

It seemed like a quality unit and was very easy to wire up.

I'm really interested in how it goes together and any issues you have with the Reeder kit. I also think it looks like great bang for the buck!

This is what I found on Dealers Elec. http://dealerselectric.com/2-HP-3600-RPM-230-Volts-Input-Package-ODP.asp
It's around the price you paid Dabbler, so I assume it's similar. My only concern, that would preclude it, is the IP 20 rated enclosure for the VFD.
IP20 is rated to keep out fingers. Being in a metal shop, I'm inclined to go dust proof and at least splash proof like a NEMA 12 or 4.
However, if you've being banging away on it for 2 years and no issues, then for that price, I can't eliminate it from consideration.
Are you grinding everyday on it? Or weekends?
Thanks again for the help and info guys! Really appreciate it!!!!!

Update(of sorts): Wayne Coe got back t me. He's looking into where in Canada it will ship from so he can give me a $. Hoping the motor and VFD can come from within Canada.

kylemp

I haven't done it (yet) but I know a lot of people who have bought from automation direct. I've got like 3 motors that need vfd's so I am planning on going through them.. may be a good option.
I think I might have a 2hp 208v kicking around I could sell you if you don't want to go new.

Thanks Kyle. I'm looking for new. Saw Auto. Direct but there only IP20, sealed against finger sized objects. I'm wanting Nema 4 against dust and water. I think if it's right at the grinder, it's going to see a lot of dust and likely some water, so it's worth the extra bucks for the Nema 4 enclosure. If I'm going to spend that much on a VFD, might as well make sure it's sealed.
Still waiting to here back from Wayne. Fingers crossed. Jealous of you guys in the States with regard to your selection and that some much online is shipped free or dirt cheap. Just got a small package from the US today. Barely weighs more than the box it came in and the price was $40 USD. Had to pay two taxes crossing the border, $10, then a "Handling fee" of another $10. Bunch of horse-sh... money grabbing. Oi! :) Ha ha ha.

kylemp

Thanks Kyle. I'm looking for new. Saw Auto. Direct but there only IP20, sealed against finger sized objects. I'm wanting Nema 4 against dust and water. I think if it's right at the grinder, it's going to see a lot of dust and likely some water, so it's worth the extra bucks for the Nema 4 enclosure. If I'm going to spend that much on a VFD, might as well make sure it's sealed.
Still waiting to here back from Wayne. Fingers crossed. Jealous of you guys in the States with regard to your selection and that some much online is shipped free or dirt cheap. Just got a small package from the US today. Barely weighs more than the box it came in and the price was $40 USD. Had to pay two taxes crossing the border, $10, then a "Handling fee" of another $10. Bunch of horse-sh... money grabbing. Oi! :) Ha ha ha.
I'm not in the states.. I'm in Calgary..
On of my friends has built 2 now, he just made a cover for the vfd and I don't recall it having any issues. It's more important to have a sealed motor than anything else as that's the first thing to get wiped out..
You can get it shipped to just south of the border and go grab it so it's not so expensive.. if you can couple it with a few other things it's worth it.

RIGHT! Forgot this is a Canuck forum! Ha ha!!

Was just thinking that very thing. Given the Teco VFD is around $167 and the KBAC is $500. Gives me pause. I could put the Teco in a Rubbermaid box and cut vent holes and cover with filter cloth...... hmmmmm.....

I'll definitely go with a TEFC motor, but I figure them sensitive little circuits in the VFD are going to not like metal dust either, nor water.

I'm in Victoria so tough to get to the board and being married to a landed immigrant makes boarder crossing a couple hr ordeal these days! :)

kylemp

RIGHT! Forgot this is a Canuck forum! Ha ha!!

Was just thinking that very thing. Given the Teco VFD is around $167 and the KBAC is $500. Gives me pause. I could put the Teco in a Rubbermaid box and cut vent holes and cover with filter cloth...... hmmmmm.....

I'll definitely go with a TEFC motor, but I figure them sensitive little circuits in the VFD are going to not like metal dust either, nor water.

I'm in Victoria so tough to get to the board and being married to a landed immigrant makes boarder crossing a couple hr ordeal these days! :)
That changes it a little. The other thing with a lot (maybe all?) VFD's is they tend to let you have an external speed adjustment or the entire panel can be mounted away from the actual vfd.. might help you locate it somewhere it won't get hurt and still have control.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I cheated, and covered the front with a bread bag (taped it to be 'splash proof') for the moment and poked the pot through. Still working on the remote, and what features I want on it. Once it is built, then the IP 68 cover goes on the VFD box..

Sounds like my in-shop ziplock bag dust proofing for my cell phone! ;p
Interesting point Dab, re the remote. I'll look into that some more.