• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

1951 Monarch 10EE at Auction

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I that is where it came from. Do you know Horst?

Yes, I met Horst when he had a Clarkson T&C grinder for sale. He gave us an extensive shop tour. Coincidentally to him selling his T&C G, I had a bid in for one at another location - ended up getting it, otherwise would have bought Horst’s.

You lucky guy. I did not even know that he was selling it. I wanted that lathe really bad - been looking out for it ever since I saw it in his shop.... Oh well too late.

That Menziken lathe was made 20 min from where I grew up. I presume you like it a lot?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I don't see that they have shipping available. Can anyone confirm either way? Thanks

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think you are on your own: “Buyer responsible for Load Out”. I would just call then to confirm.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Is stuff like "14” screen 10X 20X and 50X magnification" optical comparitor worth much - I see one for sale for under $200 closing in few hours.

Brent H

Ultra Member
That 15% auction take is crazy! - WOW I guess the Auction can not do great if things sell cheap but adding 15% to the cost - yikes - basically can take a good deal and make it crap pretty quick.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
its 15% or 18% plus GST and the seller on larger items pays like 10% as well. On small item auction seller fees are usually at least 20% and more common is 25% or even 30%. There is sometimes lot fee as well usually 25. On items > 10000 you can usually either negotiate seller fees or for say cars there is a flat fee of few hundred $.

From seller perspective it is a world of cloak and dagger - no fees are posted ... ever.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
And add to that the collusion and fake-bidding..... nope, not going down that rabbit-hole..... in the end, what is it worth to you.....

Brent H

Ultra Member
So @Tom Kitta the Calgary Monarch - nice and clean, looks to be in full operational mode - possibly has those tubes from Satan - is sitting at $5554.50 after fees and taxes - and then the buyer has to move it.

The Clubbid Monarch sitting kinda dirty, cheaper tool post and "operation not known" is sitting $3622.50 after fees and taxes and then you gotta move it .

Wow - the ol' auction game can see some serious coin needed by the buyer.

Unless you are suffering from Monarch fever those lathes are really $$$$

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, they are still sold new for 88k USD or around 100k CAD so for one in pristine condition paying a bit less then new does not seem like a bad deal.

Main issue is do you need a machine build with zero compromise on price of any kind. It was not build to any price point but performance point only. Any error of around 0.001 is seen as a worn out beater machine. Surface finish has to be perfect mirror... on anything.

Do you need a ferrari like lathe?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Monarchs have a big cult following in the U.S. and some of that fever has spread north (like a virus?).

They are no better, and far more primitive the the current Taiwanese offerings. Many of the Chinese lathes surpass Monarchs also. It's all a matter of what makes you feel good.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Monarchs have a big cult following in the U.S. and some of that fever has spread north (like a virus?).

They are no better, and far more primitive the the current Taiwanese offerings. Many of the Chinese lathes surpass Monarchs also. It's all a matter of what makes you feel good.
I blame Adam Booth :D

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is like owning limited edition of 1966 corvette. Certainly a lot of cars surpass it in a lot of ways - but its a classic.

Also I rather have that Monarch in Calgary then brand new King in same size given money right now is similar.