1951 Monarch 10EE at Auction

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I that is where it came from. Do you know Horst?

Yes, I met Horst when he had a Clarkson T&C grinder for sale. He gave us an extensive shop tour. Coincidentally to him selling his T&C G, I had a bid in for one at another location - ended up getting it, otherwise would have bought Horst’s.

You lucky guy. I did not even know that he was selling it. I wanted that lathe really bad - been looking out for it ever since I saw it in his shop.... Oh well too late.

That Menziken lathe was made 20 min from where I grew up. I presume you like it a lot?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I don't see that they have shipping available. Can anyone confirm either way? Thanks

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think you are on your own: “Buyer responsible for Load Out”. I would just call then to confirm.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Is stuff like "14” screen 10X 20X and 50X magnification" optical comparitor worth much - I see one for sale for under $200 closing in few hours.

Brent H

Ultra Member
That 15% auction take is crazy! - WOW I guess the Auction can not do great if things sell cheap but adding 15% to the cost - yikes - basically can take a good deal and make it crap pretty quick.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
its 15% or 18% plus GST and the seller on larger items pays like 10% as well. On small item auction seller fees are usually at least 20% and more common is 25% or even 30%. There is sometimes lot fee as well usually 25. On items > 10000 you can usually either negotiate seller fees or for say cars there is a flat fee of few hundred $.

From seller perspective it is a world of cloak and dagger - no fees are posted ... ever.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
And add to that the collusion and fake-bidding..... nope, not going down that rabbit-hole..... in the end, what is it worth to you.....

Brent H

Ultra Member
So @Tom Kitta the Calgary Monarch - nice and clean, looks to be in full operational mode - possibly has those tubes from Satan - is sitting at $5554.50 after fees and taxes - and then the buyer has to move it.

The Clubbid Monarch sitting kinda dirty, cheaper tool post and "operation not known" is sitting $3622.50 after fees and taxes and then you gotta move it .

Wow - the ol' auction game can see some serious coin needed by the buyer.

Unless you are suffering from Monarch fever those lathes are really $$$$

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, they are still sold new for 88k USD or around 100k CAD so for one in pristine condition paying a bit less then new does not seem like a bad deal.

Main issue is do you need a machine build with zero compromise on price of any kind. It was not build to any price point but performance point only. Any error of around 0.001 is seen as a worn out beater machine. Surface finish has to be perfect mirror... on anything.

Do you need a ferrari like lathe?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Monarchs have a big cult following in the U.S. and some of that fever has spread north (like a virus?).

They are no better, and far more primitive the the current Taiwanese offerings. Many of the Chinese lathes surpass Monarchs also. It's all a matter of what makes you feel good.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Monarchs have a big cult following in the U.S. and some of that fever has spread north (like a virus?).

They are no better, and far more primitive the the current Taiwanese offerings. Many of the Chinese lathes surpass Monarchs also. It's all a matter of what makes you feel good.
I blame Adam Booth :D

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is like owning limited edition of 1966 corvette. Certainly a lot of cars surpass it in a lot of ways - but its a classic.

Also I rather have that Monarch in Calgary then brand new King in same size given money right now is similar.