• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

1951 Monarch 10EE at Auction

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Hacker are you talking about the auction one? If so, MG set is probably toast and really not worth it if you could run the lathe off if it’s own 3 phase motor. I wrote for @Tom Kitta that $3500 would be my bid - if I wanted one badly I would max at $4000 as you can get great value in a lathe for lesser money.
The “draw” to the monarch is that they are built like tanks and have a history of use in the Navy.
The one shown looks in good condition despite the surface rust. All the balls and knobs look to be there with the tach in place and reading zero- glass not broken. Oil sites look at level except the one under the tach was low.
I guess it is what you want it for. If it is the dream lathe and you are keeping it maybe make that heart string extra bid but if you want to fix, reface and flip - might not be worth the $$

Hacker

Super User
The lathe was running when they shut it down. So I am not sure what the issue is. I have an electrical background so have some familiarity with motors and generators. I didn't have any test equipment with me but I had a close look at the m/g unit and it turns over very smoothly the brushes and commutator on the motor and exciter are visible and they look alright. But I couldn't see the generator or dc motor. It might be as simple as dirt and brushes or wiring. According to Dave the owner there was no catastrophic failure so potentially the windings are alright. Personally I would budget for a DC drive if I was bidding on it.
If I didn't have the lathe I have right now I would be very interested in this one.
I have been bidding on some of the items in this auction as well. Good luck and I hope I'm not bidding against you.

Hacker

Super User
Yes I am referring to the one in the auction. The guy that owns the business and lathe seems to be a pretty straight guy.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Yeah the auction has some pretty good deals it looks like. May also end up driving to Edmonton this weekend...

TOBARApprentice

Super User
You bet. I bought an Optical Comparator from Regina. It was $106 to truck it to Hamilton. This thing might be $700 to $1000. A total deal. Manitoulin Transport is AWESOME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It does look like some of us will bid against each other. A bit sad. Maybe at least not all of us can go to Edmonton it would be so much easier if we could just send one person to pick up small stuff and share gas $.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
It does look like some of us will bid against each other. A bit sad. Maybe at least not all of us can go to Edmonton it would be so much easier if we could just send one person to pick up small stuff and share gas $.

If Covid weren't raging I'd ride-share with you just to shoot-the-shit on the way up/down. We could talk auction-theory and stuff...... get into the psychology of it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
With MG toast you're paying a lot at 3000$. Not a factory refurb. In the U.S. they pay crazy prices even for a rusted one.

Brent H

Ultra Member
DANG! all the stuff I like is 40 taper.....LOL There is a couple measuring tools that would be great.

@TOBARApprentice - that is chunk of metal to move for sure! Good luck!

Some sweet deals though if you need equipment

Hacker

Super User
@Hacker are you talking about the auction one? If so, MG set is probably toast and really not worth it if you could run the lathe off if it’s own 3 phase motor. I wrote for @Tom Kitta that $3500 would be my bid - if I wanted one badly I would max at $4000 as you can get great value in a lathe for lesser money.
The “draw” to the monarch is that they are built like tanks and have a history of use in the Navy.
The one shown looks in good condition despite the surface rust. All the balls and knobs look to be there with the tach in place and reading zero- glass not broken. Oil sites look at level except the one under the tach was low.
I guess it is what you want it for. If it is the dream lathe and you are keeping it maybe make that heart string extra bid but if you want to fix, reface and flip - might not be worth the $$
I did some digging around on the net before I posted this and is almost like a cult down in the US with those machines. The machine is complete everything looks like it is all there including a some surface rust. lol The build of machine is incredibly rigid and the crossfeed dial is very nice. I have a Swiss made Menziken and it comes close to the 10EE.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Fir those of you who want to see what the "hype" is about, here is a video from Abom79 where he is helping his buddy sell the lathe A Monarch 10EE

Watch the video for at least the first few minutes to see the tubes that are used to get the machine operational. This is the point I pretty much would pass on the lathe. I can do a lot with electrical stuff, however, one of these tube would be worth a fortune......

Hacker

Super User
I agree with you on that Brent, that is a new version of this lathe. This lathe does not have those lovely glowing tubes. This is a basic design of a ac motor driving a dc generator and exciter that is powering a dc motor. A lot of complexity and and losses involved in these arrangements. You would almost think that the British designed this. :)

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
I agree with you on that Brent, that is a new version of this lathe. This lathe does not have those lovely glowing tubes. This is a basic design of a ac motor driving a dc generator and exciter that is powering a dc motor. A lot of complexity and and losses involved in these arrangements. You would almost think that the British designed this. :)

Hey now i love my british lathe

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
who from calgary is currently bidding? im trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to bid on a few things, none of them large so its hard for me to think me personally driving to edmonton is worth it, if someone else is heading up would be happy to pitch gas money and some beer your way! let me know

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am definitely bidding. Main target is the slotting attachment - I hope now you all will not try to kill me. I also want to get some tool post holders and few items of opportunity. Nothing that cocobear is bidding on - that guy (or gal) is crazy - if you see them bid they are willing to pay top $ for absolute junk. Also no lathe tooling - I can get these sandvik bars for about $5 each so I fail to see why some people pay $25 for each. Also no to inserts - I seen one lot (guess by who) that is *more* for some random assortment of inserts then you can get them new in sizes you need (I counted the boxes). I also should get a steady for one of my lathes and maybe adjustable height tailstock.

I will place my bids tomorrow or same day as auction - I hate to be in position where I win like 3 items for $100 and then have to drive to Edmonton to get them. Buying long distance is risky and stressful.

Lathe next bid is 3050 so with fees she is 3650 already.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
I am definitely bidding. Main target is the slotting attachment - I hope now you all will not try to kill me. I also want to get some tool post holders and few items of opportunity. Nothing that cocobear is bidding on - that guy (or gal) is crazy - if you see them bid they are willing to pay top $ for absolute junk. Also no lathe tooling - I can get these sandvik bars for about $5 each so I fail to see why some people pay $25 for each. Also no to inserts - I seen one lot (guess by who) that is *more* for some random assortment of inserts then you can get them new in sizes you need (I counted the boxes). I also should get a steady for one of my lathes and maybe adjustable height tailstock.

I will place my bids tomorrow or same day as auction - I hate to be in position where I win like 3 items for $100 and then have to drive to Edmonton to get them. Buying long distance is risky and stressful.

Lathe next bid is 3050 so with fees she is 3650 already.

Cool i have no intention on bidding on the slotting attachment - good to know there is atleast one other from calgary that is bidding