1 1/2 8tpi 3 and 4 Jaw Threaded Chucks

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Tom - the first page of this thread shows pictures of the 3 jaw back plate. Do they show what you need to know?
Kevin - my 4 jaw cleaned up well but the dried grease did leave some staining. I saw a video where a guy cut a lemon in half, put salt on the juicey part of the lemon and used it as a scouring pad to remove the stain. He let it sit wet for a few minutes then used a red ScotchBrite to really clean it up. I haven't tried it but it looked good in the video.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thanks for the pic - too bad I got that cheap Chinese 6" for 115 CAD with taxes from Amazon. Maybe I upgrade my 3 jaw. I have a German 3 jaw but it for some reason is not very accurate... I know you can still make precision work with somewhat inaccurate 3 jaw but my Rohm does not look beaten up so I am a bit shocked that depending on how I chuck things I get at best +- 0.04mm and at worse something like +- 0.1mm The first figure is quite good but the second figure is quite sub par. Maybe I need to take it apart more and clean it inside not just the jaws.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I sort of see the threaded part taken off on page 1 - its from 3 jaw exposing the scroll, correct? I.e. all I need to do is take the back plate off and make a new back plate in D1-3 configuration, right?

I have another 3 jaw that came with a A style threaded mount - but the back plate is not ideal as it has rather large sticking 2" metal parts that keep the scroll in. Thus I want to make sure I am not getting another one like that. I.e. I want to make sure I don't need like 4" or more of steel machine down - just say 2".

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If the chuck is being shipped out of Ont there is only GST, every little bit helps.
Nothing to lose by stripping the chuck right down and cleaning it, if it gets better great, if not all you've lost is a bit of time.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The 3 jaw is a flat back with a threaded back plate, changing to the d1-3 shouldn't be an issue.
Maybe someone in YYC that bought one would be willing to give you a hands on tour.

Perry

Ultra Member
I sort of see the threaded part taken off on page 1 - its from 3 jaw exposing the scroll, correct? I.e. all I need to do is take the back plate off and make a new back plate in D1-3 configuration, right?

I have another 3 jaw that came with a A style threaded mount - but the back plate is not ideal as it has rather large sticking 2" metal parts that keep the scroll in. Thus I want to make sure I am not getting another one like that. I.e. I want to make sure I don't need like 4" or more of steel machine down - just say 2".

Tom, are you thinking of ordering a chuck? We might be able to save a bit on shipping if we order together. (I have another way to save on shipping but it would most likely require help from someone in Toronto, or if it is a larger order the seller might assist us.) Send me a private message if you like.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
The 3 jaw is a flat back with a threaded back plate, changing to the d1-3 shouldn't be an issue.
Maybe someone in YYC that bought one would be willing to give you a hands on tour.

Here’s the mating profile
7e9ea66e6941f3fab8b9b077802bd12b.jpg
8ad692d9ff15a921c041260b8bab769f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
IIRC the scroll is not exposed when the backing plate is removed. There is another plate that covers the scroll.
Kevin - have I got it right?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You guys missed the boat. Chicken Lights offered to deliver to Alberta. You could have bought a pallets worth and divided it up amongst yourselves LOL.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
IIRC the scroll is not exposed when the backing plate is removed. There is another plate that covers the scroll.
Kevin - have I got it right?

Correct. There is a cast cover that is held by three screws that covers the internals. When you pull the back plate off you have a flat surface (inset —!hence the mating surface on the back plate)

Perry

Ultra Member
I had planned on buying just a four jaw. Ordered one of each today. :)

Thank you for the tip YotaBota.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Ron through in a H&H Roberts “pen” with my order..... free pen!

Love that old school attention to detail

I cleaned and reassembled my 3 jaw last night. 50/50 mixture of simple green and water (heated to 50 Celsius)

All parts soaked w/ultrasonic for 15 minutes , followed by scrub and rinse, dried w/compressed air and wiped w/fluid film .

Light oil and reassembly. Like new!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Ron through in a H&H Roberts “pen” with my order..... free pen!

Love that old school attention to detail

I cleaned and reassembled my 3 jaw last night. 50/50 mixture of simple green and water (heated to 50 Celsius)

All parts soaked w/ultrasonic for 15 minutes , followed by scrub and rinse, dried w/compressed air and wiped w/fluid film .

Light oil and reassembly. Like new!
Pics...or it didn't happen!

;)

Craig

Perry

Ultra Member
So I'm curious what type of jaws are prefered? If you look at the 5" Bison chuck here, it comes with 1 set of 2 piece, reversible top jaws. There is also a Bison 5" three jaw chuck with 2 sets of 1 piece jaws. Pros/Cons?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I much prefer the two piece jaws. It’s faster to flip them around than removing and installing a different set. You also have the option to make and true up your own soft jaws.