• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Yard sale bargains

GerryinBelleRiver

Been looking a while for a portable band saw and noticed one that was going to be available at a yard sale this morning. No price was listed and the ad said no early birds. Knowing how these things work I went early anyway. I did not feel bad about it as there were a half dozen other guys already milling around the tables.

Long story short I picked up a barely used Milwaukee deep cut saw and 6 new blades for $75. Lucky l went early as another guy arrived a couple of minutes later looking for the saw.

Also picked up a Proto torque wrench for $40 and a set of Proto socket allen wrenches for $2.

Obviously I did not haggle over the prices

will be looking to build an auxiliary table and stand for the saw. Gwen, a.k.a. Blonde hacks did a good looking one I may copy

So far today, life is good
20220514_124558.jpg 20220514_124606.jpg 20220514_124627.jpg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Score!

Build a table for the saw, you’ll be surprised how often you’ll use it. Don’t use it to cut frozen salmon…

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Who had the sale ?
Was he a contractor clearing out his tools ?

I have been looking for a porta-band for months.
Likely getting a NEW one this week.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
This raises a question.....how do you know not to cut frozen salmon....just asking for a friend ;)
Related things I know:

> a 7 pound sockeye salmon is too much for two people
> regular kitchen knives won’t cut a frozen salmon
> a Portaband with a 14tpi blade cuts frozen salmon at about the same feed rate as 6061 aluminum
> salmon sawdust clumps
> salmon sawdust has no smell for at least a day or so
> human females, on average, are more sensitive to odours than male human machinists
> once salmon sawdust starts to smell, the funkiness increases as a function of mass, ambient temperature, and time. I believe the formula is Pong = kg * degrees C^2 * Time

I should ask Susquatch to confirm the math…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Related things I know:

> a 7 pound sockeye salmon is too much for two people
> regular kitchen knives won’t cut a frozen salmon
> a Portaband with a 14tpi blade cuts frozen salmon at about the same feed rate as 6061 aluminum
> salmon sawdust clumps
> salmon sawdust has no smell for at least a day or so
> human females, on average, are more sensitive to odours than male human machinists
> once salmon sawdust starts to smell, the funkiness increases as a function of mass, ambient temperature, and time. I believe the formula is Pong = kg * degrees C^2 * Time

I should ask Susquatch to confirm the math…

I believe the temperature coefficient needs to be corrected to degrees Rankin above freezing with a 2nd order function for degrees above freezing and below cremation.

Thanks for explaining that the speed and power of smell depends on the gender of the sniffer. Do you have any data besides the male ear and shoulder droop effect that could be used to determine an appropriate adjustment factor for that?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I believe the temperature coefficient needs to be corrected to degrees Rankin above freezing with a 2nd order function for degrees above freezing and below cremation.

Thanks for explaining that the speed and power of smell depends on the gender of the sniffer. Do you have any data besides the male ear and shoulder droop effect that could be used to determine an appropriate adjustment factor for that?
Always site your sources. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6381007/

So the formula needs to be split into Pong(f) and Pong(m) and a suitable conversion factor calculated