Ya' all can pray for me!!!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This guy was saying tighten. Tap. Check parallels. Machine. No double tap. I still have to try that for myself.
He's right. That's if you have a good vise :D.

Square stock also has an effect too. I don't always double tap, but most stuff i do is oddball shapes and weird stuff.

Edit: I should also mention what I'm holding, and what doing with it have an effect on how tight I grip it too. Manual mill, drilling and reaming, vs CNC side milling with high helix tooling (extreme examples). IMO there are no blanket rules that apply to all situations.

Last edited:

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I used to touch the handle after tapping in. It makes sense that doing so would change things. So now I'll tighten, tap in, check the parallels for snugness, and if needed re-tighten and re-tap. I never thought torquing the vice after tapping would change things, which of course it does.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I used to do tap tighten, tap tighten, tap one last time if loose thing. The tighten tap in the middle wasn't prolly required. But I had a part get crooked on me once and vowed I'd never let that happen again. When I got my Hartford, a Gerardi came with it that had the prism jaws. A bit of advice from members here and my life became tap less! Just tighten and machine. On my drill press I use the old routine. It works well even if there is an extra step involved.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is what is missing on the forum. Nothing beats a personal visit to spot things you would never mention in your project posts. While I'm sure the old guys you refer to have some untapped knowledge, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of it is already between the ears of one or more of our members - if you can find him and watch him or have him watch you.

Andy G

So today I bought an Ex-Cell-O 602 turret mill and an older King 1236 with a gap bed. Both comes with all the tooling, lots of extra HSS bits, and a couple of Kennedy-style tool boxes full of micas, bits and odds and sods! The machines were owned by a retired tool and die maker who is getting out of the hobby. Awesome guy who taught me about 10 things in the time I was looking at the machines.

Now all I need is the space in the shop, which I'll get selling my King round column milling machine and Craftex B2227L lathe. And clearing out some junk. And maybe parking a car outside. I might also be able to move the freezer...

And getting it home. On the advice of members on the forum I am trying to track down a Hiab to make the day go easier. Thankfully the guy I am buying it from, awesome guy, is not in a huge rush to get them out. But man, I sure am!
New tooling and machines is always exciting to get. I am sure you will have them in place in no time.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They are both in, and the lathe is cleaned up and wired. It works!

I need to make a new R8 drive pin. Thankfully Ex-cell-o made it easy to replace. There's a hole in the back of the quill and you line up the hole in the shaft and turn it in. Drops out the spindle. Turn in the new screw and you're back in business. ON a Bridgeport you have to take half the quill apart.

If only I could buy one. Tried a place in Canada but hey have none. But there's also a place in the US I'll try tomorrow. If noting else, the guy in Canada gave me the dimensions so I can machine one from the messed up one.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
They are both in, and the lathe is cleaned up and wired. It works!

I need to make a new R8 drive pin. Thankfully Ex-cell-o made it easy to replace. There's a hole in the back of the quill and you line up the hole in the shaft and turn it in. Drops out the spindle. Turn in the new screw and you're back in business. ON a Bridgeport you have to take half the quill apart.

If only I could buy one. Tried a place in Canada but hey have none. But there's also a place in the US I'll try tomorrow. If noting else, the guy in Canada gave me the dimensions so I can machine one from the messed up one.
So awesome Tom!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Or..... I know a furry farmer in Ontario who can send you one........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wait - do you have an actual one for a model 602?

What I have is the one for a Bridgeport. I don't know if the 602 is different. I'd bet not. But if you can get dimensions for what you need we can find out. How much of the old one is good enough to measure?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Good to hear you're getting things set up.

Is there anything tricky to making a pin? Do you need the mill to make one.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The head end of the old one is toast, but I talked to a sweet old man in Ontario who used to have parts for XLO, and he told me it is a 3/8 - 24 screw and the "business end" has a protrusion from 0.150-0.156" wide, and 0.080" long.

I never thought to check about a Bridgeport...

Tecnico

(Dave)
The manual talks about using a 3/16” hex key to install the drive set screw, that looks like a 3/8” set screw so I don’t think the BP part won’t be big enough. Now, it’s just a question of whether it’s coarse or fine thread. I’m guessing coarse.

EDIT: Looks like Tom has the answer, 2 minutes faster than me, even has the dimensions, lol!

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

The easiest way to make one is with a lathe. But you could probably use simpler tools in a pinch. It isn't a complicated thing to make. Here is a photo:

20231116_125132~2.jpg

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Apparently the pin is an odd size. The pitch anyway. If I have to I could figure out some way to use my lathe for a mill. Not sure what the screw is made out of. (I have heard of people removing the screw and letting the R8 hold itself. But I would hate for it to spin in the socket.)

The gentleman mentioned it was "Rockwell Unbreakable". I never heard of such a thing. Seems like pretty high aspirations. Or I didn't understand what he said. Although he said it 4 or so times, and I thought I heard the same thing each time.