Ya' all can pray for me!!!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So today I bought an Ex-Cell-O 602 turret mill and an older King 1236 with a gap bed. Both comes with all the tooling, lots of extra HSS bits, and a couple of Kennedy-style tool boxes full of micas, bits and odds and sods! The machines were owned by a retired tool and die maker who is getting out of the hobby. Awesome guy who taught me about 10 things in the time I was looking at the machines.

Now all I need is the space in the shop, which I'll get selling my King round column milling machine and Craftex B2227L lathe. And clearing out some junk. And maybe parking a car outside. I might also be able to move the freezer...

And getting it home. On the advice of members on the forum I am trying to track down a Hiab to make the day go easier. Thankfully the guy I am buying it from, awesome guy, is not in a huge rush to get them out. But man, I sure am!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Congrats Tom.
Get in touch with Adam Warner of South Island Lift. He's moved a bunch of stuff for me, heck of a good guy.
I know he moved up island, just not sure how far north.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Yeah, I totally recommend Adam if he'll take on the job. I had the sad distinction of being his last move here in Victoria.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Awesome. Welcome to the 602 crew. They're awesome mills.

I moved mine on a 5x9 landscape trailer. Looking back in retrospect I shouldn't have done that.....I was pushing the limits of trailer (3500lbs axle), but I wasn't bottomed out yet :D. It was forked on with a bobcat, and I backed it into the garage and picked it off in 2 parts with my engine hoist. The head and ram in one, and the base in the other. They're beefy machines, and heavier than a bridgeport/taiwan clone. It's easy to move it around on pipe rollers with a pinch bar. Over the years it's lived in a few different spots in my garage shop as I moved things around, and moving it around on pipe rollers was a breeze.

Your plan to hire a hiab is a good one. When I bought my shaper off a coworker he brought his hiab flatbed, and swung it right into the garage. A rollback towtruck is a pretty easy path of least resistance too. If your shop can be backed up to, they can just slide it right onto your floor easy peasy. A few hundred bucks well spent.

Good luck with the move.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Congratulations..... Patience pays off once in awhile. You might want to extend an open invitation to the old fella to come use them from time to time. It might be better than taking an evening course at the local community college.......
Talked to him bit more yesterday. Turns out he worked for a place that made prototypes for industry back in Ontario. They would spend hours working on a part, making a beautiful thing, then the customer woudld pick up the part and the blueprints. Test the part, bring it back, and it would be shredded. And then you never heard about it again. He saids it was kind of tough investing that kind of time and care into something that was destroyed every time. He did say his boss was used to that kind of thing. Apparently he was one of the machinists that worked on the Avro Arrow! An absolute wealth of information I am sure. He did say I could come over and talk to him any time - cost of a cup of coffee. He taught for many years and it showed. When I was testing the mill and lathe he let me do any thing, and stood well back. Then he very gently offered advice on how to do things differently. Often with an apology because he didn't want to imply I didn't know what I was doing - although that was the case in 3 out of 4 things he mentioned to me.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've met a lot of interesting guys like that buying stuff. Always tried to get them to join the forums, but none were ever interested. I bought a bunch of pipe clamps off a guy a few nights ago, and we yakked for over an hour in his shop. He was 80, and a retired millwright/machinist fitter from GE. Telling stories, showing each other pictures of stuff we built etc. Great guy. He might join the forum to tell some stories, and share some projects, I sent him the link.

Sadly a lot of times it's usually buying stuff from the kids of the guy who passed away, and the kids don't want anything to do with Dad's tools, and just want them gone. It's a rare, nice occasion when you get to talk to the guy that used them.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I set up a chunk of Al in the mill I slightly snugged up the vice, tapped the piece in, and then tightened it up some more. On my vice that's the only way I could get the parallels snug. He told me when I did that I was flexing the vice again, and sure enough, one parallel that was snug was loose.

I was going to climb mill, (new place threw everything off a bit for me) and he pointed out besides being a more difficult cut for the cutter, that depending on which way the table was last turned, the cutter might grab and shift the table the amount of the backlash, spoiling the numbers.

Showed me a quick way to calculate cutting speed (I always went by feel and way slower than what I figured the cutter would take - cutters aren't cheap)

The one I did know: Took a cut on the lathe on Al-bronze. Just used the tool that was in the QCTP. Got a bit of chatter, and he mentioned whoever used the lathe last had the 1/4" cutter extended out quite a bit. That one I realized, but testing the lathe was the point of the exercise, not the cutting tool.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
When I set up a chunk of Al in the mill I slightly snugged up the vice, tapped the piece in, and then tightened it up some more. On my vice that's the only way I could get the parallels snug. He told me when I did that I was flexing the vice again, and sure enough, one parallel that was snug was loose.
What's the proper way to do this?