Ya' all can pray for me!!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ummm…. I’m not sure how to put this so I’ll just jump into it: being a person of some curiosity I did a bit of surfing and I bumped into an article on the H&W site where they talk about replacing the screws, they mention that the BP set screw pair are 1/4-32…..which is darn close to M6.35 x 0.8p.

No worries. Sometimes I think my thread gauges are crap. They are genuine Mitutoyo and Starrett so I've always just accepted whatever they say. I'll measure the screw again tomorrow and post the exact diameter and pitch so everyone can kick at the can.

What is a 6.35mm screw? Hard to believe such a thing really exists!

Good point on the square dog point.

By the time we are done thrashing all this alignment screw stuff we will be able to write a book on it!

All in good time I guess.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But boy it's nice to have a positive lock on the collets. Better than the wet fish it was before.

This is a difficult attribute to quantify and convey to others. But I agree with you. It just feels "wrong" without the key.

Tecnico

(Dave)
No worries. Sometimes I think my thread gauges are crap. They are genuine Mitutoyo and Starrett so I've always just accepted whatever they say. I'll measure the screw again tomorrow and post the exact diameter and pitch so everyone can kick at the can.

What is a 6.35mm screw? Hard to believe such a thing really exists!

Good point on the square dog point.

By the time we are done thrashing all this alignment screw stuff we will be able to write a book on it!

All in good time I guess.

I like the spirit of kicking the can…..for knowledge and enlightenment, not sure if the book is going to be a best seller!

I doubt your thread gauge would make the difference obvious unless you were looking for it. 32 TPI is .793p so it’s not a big difference.

I just put both gauges on a 10-32 and then gauge to gauge to compare and you could convince me that they were practically “the same”. There was a slight mismatch between gauges if you rock them.:)

I compared the 1/4 - 32 to what it would be called if it were metric, 6.35mm x .8p, I don’t think the metric equivalent exists.

On the road to enlightenment - lol!

D :cool: