WTB - watchmaker lathe

trevj

Ultra Member
I guess I'm a bit amazed, at the prices folk want for a WW pattern lathe with almost no collets.

I bought a Marshall Peerless labelled lathe, with a three way compound, hand tool rest, 60+ collets, a faceplate, collet holding tailstock, and a 3 jaw chuck, and a motor, for essentially beer money back in the mid eighties (which may as well mean 1933 to some! LOL!).

Been a handy tool to have, when the work I had for it, suited it!

Guy offered it to me for $125. He had another guy there trying to scalp me when I showed up, had to run down to the bank and grab another $25 to seal the deal! Been a pretty good buy.

Dunno if I'll part with it before being buried. Kinda hard to put a value on capability. I figure by the time I'm gone, the stuff's value will be mostly in the metal it's made from...

There is a shop in Mississauga that grind and sells ultra tiny drill bits, the smallest being around 0.002", yes I got to hold one but was not allowed to touch the cutter as it would break with casual contact. I could see the shadows of the flutes cutting edge as you looked at under bright lights. Amazing!

I was also to that there are no machines in North Amercian capable of using the bit.

Industrial application I'm told is the PC Board industry, among other things.